How Long Do PSP or MACS Facelift Results Last?

Longevity of a Facelift

+4
A facelift is for many like turning back the clock and getting a fresh start. I have included a link to the facelift before and after image page on my website. The photos range from several weeks to several years after their facelift surgery. 
The quality of your skin before your facial rejuvenation procedure will definitely have an effect on the lasting results of a facelift.
For example, a person who has previously been a heavy smoker, a serious sun worshipper, or a person who has been morbidly obese may have skin laxity issues that can contribute to results that don't last as long as a person who starts with great skin before suegery.
Taking care of your skin following surgery can also help maintain results. It is not uncommon for people to have minor touch ups years after their initial surgery. Sometimes very minimal maintence can keep the face looking fresh and youthful.
Be very careful about selecting a plastic surgeon to perform facial rejuvenation surgery. We all have seen people with obvious looking facelifts, ears that are no longer in a natural position, necks that seem unnatural, hollowed eyes. obvious scars etc. These changes can be permanent and full correction can be difficult even with revisional surgery. 

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Longevity of the facelift

+4

I hear this question every day and every day I give a very long answer to this seemingly simple question. I am always surprised when somebody can guarantee their facelift, or mini facelift for 8-15 years. I cannot.

First of all, I do not know what the terms “longevity”, or “how long it lasts” truly mean.

Once the facelift surgery has been performed and deep muscle, also known as SMAS, had been lifted and properly secured, it is not going to just relax and drop down one day. From the standpoint, if you had any facelift surgery, SMAS excision, SMAS plication, SMAS flap, MACS lift and any others, you will never look the same as you would if you never had any surgery done. In this content, the improvement will last forever.

However, it does not mean that the face will stay frozen in time. We continue to get older and age. The aging process is determined by genetics, nutrition, activity level, hormones, skin care regimens, stress levels and many other factors. The older we are, the weaker the deep tissues become and less durable the facelift result is going to be. I would not expect facial rejuvenation surgery to last as long in 75-year-old patient, as in 45-year-old one.

The main person who determines how long the facelift lasts is the patient herself or himself. In my book, whenever the patient is ready for another surgery, that is when the results of previous surgery have exhausted themselves. Obviously, the more critical we are of our appearance, the less we maintain our skin, the more stress we impose on ourselves, the less we pay attention to our nutrition and vitamin supplementation, the shorter the effect of the facelift surgery is going to be.

Overall, the facelift procedures that lift deeper tissues, will last longer than the one that lift skin only. Otherwise, if deep muscle is secured with any of the documented techniques, the durability of the left is mostly dependent on the patient and quality of their tissues.

Sincerely,

Boris Volshteyn M.D., M.S.

Boris Volshteyn, MD, MS
East Brunswick Plastic Surgeon

Longevity of PSP or MACS

+3

These techniques usually last well; generally at least 7-12 years, but so much depends on how a person ages, skin elasticity, weight fluctuations, general heath.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

The best facelifts

+3

The best facelifts do not do minimal work. They do a lot of work. They lift, readjust volume, add volume to deficient regions, and are often combined with many ancillary procedures such as skin resurfacing.

If you are limiting your results by selecting a procedure that is "less invasive", you may save yourself 48-72 hours of healing time, but be troubled with the sub-par rejuvenation or excessive scarring for the rest of your life. Most surgeons would agree that a well performed facelift will give rejuvenation which will last a lifetime. The older the patient, the more sun damaged, the more favorable the anatomy, the more ancillary procedures etc. the longer (in years) the facelift will appear to have turned back the clock.

The best facelifts are not defined by whether the deep plane, the composite, the PSP, the MACS or a minilift is performed. In varying forms, an experienced facelift surgeon may use all of these techniques at some point. They are defined by the reputation and the ability of the facelift surgeon performing your work.

One of the biggest misconceptions of facelift surgery is that there is a universal way the procedure is performed. Every PSP facelift is the same. Every MACS facelift is the same. I suspect this belief is based on consumer items, where any two items with the same Model Number are basically the same, no matter where they are purchased.

Nothing could be further from the truth with respect to facelift surgery. You are purchasing art. That art cannot be defined by a Model Number or name.

The one unifying feature of the best facelift results is that they are comprehensive but they are not cheap. Long after the cost of the procedure has been forgotten, the results will be there for all to see.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Good facelifts last longer than poorly performed facelifts.

+3

I receive questions like this often from patients trying not to make a mistake. Forget about what technique the doctor says he uses, since you'll be asleep and won't know what he does anyway! My son can show you pictures and diagrams of facelifts or noses---he knows nothing about these, but is very good with a computer.
Instead, find a surgeon you trust, shows you one year photographs or longer of his results, and lets you see real patients who have had a facelift by him or her. That's what really counts. Good surgeons know when do do various types of facelifts, depending on the individual aging factors of each patient.

MACS facelift

+2
A MACS facelift is a suture suspension facelift. Recent literature has shown that the quick lift, MACS lift, and other suture lifts don't hold up like expected. We have studied patients over 2 - 5 years and found that a deep plane facelift lasts many years after the surgery.

Jose E. Barrera, MD, FACS
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Its all in the details

+2

The variation of the mini lift known as the MACS lift is a good tool. What I have found is that by making certain modifications of the technique (such as adding a SMAS excision and a mid face lift) I can get at solid lift that will last 5-7 years. At the end of the day its nit the particular technique used but the surgeon who is doing it!

Benjamin C. Marcus, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Depends on the patient

+2

The long term outcome of every surgery, whether it be a face lift, brow lift, tummy tuck or breast lift depends on many factors. The patients genetics, skin health (sun damage and overall tone), systemic health, weight, use of tobacco and alcohol and post operative care all play a role in the long term outcome.

Every surgery has it's place and time. In an attempt to decrease down time but with the same results, several techniques have been developed. The PSP or platysmal SMAS plication technique simply refers to the handling of the deeper tissues. The MCAS or minimal access cranial suspension refers to a technique where one or two sutures are basically run through the deeper tissues in the loop and tied in the temporal area. The excess skin is then remove.

To give a reference, a standard face lift involves elevation of the skin and subcutaneous fat from each ear to the nasolabial fold and the entire neck. The deeper tissues or SMAS (superficial muscular aponeurotic system) is then plicated or elevated and excised then the excess skin is excised.

Mini surgeries do mini things. And most of these don't fully address the entire face and neck. If done properly they will provide some lasting result but you will continue to age, especially the area of the face not addressed.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

MACS facelift

+1
Facelifts with minimal to no undermining of the SMAS layer generally do not last as long as full facelifts, and may leave more extensive scarring. 

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

The results of a facelift may be considered permanent in that you will continue to look younger years later than you would have without undergoing the facelift. However, a facelift cannot stop the aging process and the face will continue to age. You will, however, always look younger and better than a twin, if you undergo the facelift and your twin does not.

The results will vary from person-to-person. Most patients can expect their results to last between 8 and 12 years. The length of time that patients enjoy a satisfactory improvement after a facelift depends on many factors including the quality of their skin, which is influenced by the degree of sun damage or loss of elasticity. Smokers typically have poorer quality skin. Older patients will see an earlier return of laxity, while younger patients will see a more long-lasting improvement.

Heredity is important. If your parents aged slowly, you probably will, too. Your diet, general health, time spent in the sun, smoking, weight gains and losses, emotional traumas, and type of skin will all play a role in determining how long the improvement will last.

Smaller procedures including PSP and MACS Facelifts may have slightly shorter recoveries, but also have significantly shorter lasting results. The exact technique is far less important than having the procedure performed by an experienced, excellent
artistic plastic surgeon who individualizes the procedure based on your anatomy
and desired outcome.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon