How Long Do Porcelain Veneers and Crowns Last?

My teeth have a yellow shade because of a wrong high dose antibiotic treatment I had as a child. I am now 43 and after many years thought I could give myself shiny bright teeth as a present. There is nothing wrong with the shapes of my teeth. The doctor I consulted said whitening would not work for my problem and porcelain would be the answer. Unfortunately I don't remember what he suggested exactly but he said this porcelain on my front teeth would have to be renewed every 10 years. As the best quality treatment cost around 20,000 USD!!! (I'd try to go with the best) renewing this every 10 years is out of the question. Is it really necessary to renew? How long do porcelain veneers and crowns last?

How Long Will Porcelain Veneers and Porcelain Crowns Last?

The short answer is that properly done porcelain veneers and crowns usually last a very long time!

They are like a car, how long your car lasts depends on what type of car your purchased, how well it was maintained, did you follow through and have all your routine services done, in what conditions do you drive it, how many miles do you drive every year, and did you get into any automobile accidents. 

How good was the dentist who placed the veneers?  What kind of material did he use?  How good was the ceramist who actually made the veneers?  What kind of bonding protocol did he use?  Do you grind or clench your teeth?  If so, do you wear a night guard?  Have you ever fallen or gotten a traumatic blow to your teeth?  Have you ever eaten a soft meal and while chewing found something very hard (like a nut) and unexpected when you bit down to chew?

I have many patients who are still wearing unbroken porcelain veneers for twenty years plus.  Now days with better materials and techniques, I'm expecting that many of my porcelain veneers may last even a lifetime.  However, there is no dentist who can guarantee that the veneers they placed will last a lifetime, but that certainly is our goal.  Again, the short answer is that properly done porcelain veneers should last a very long time provided you don't have an accident with them.

Regarding porcelain crowns, we can expect the same.  Actually porcelain crowns may last longer than porcelain veneers, but the downside of porcelain crowns vs. porcelain veneers is that the latter requires more drilling and tooth preparation than with porcelain veneers.

Now, let's look at worst case scenario.  You had ten porcelain veneers placed ten years ago and then one day you broke a single porcelain veneer.  Do you have to replace all ten?  Certainly not!  Just replace the one that broke.  The same applies to porcelain crowns.

When I hear stories of patients who have had porcelain veneers or porcelain crowns placed that only lasted a few years I usually think to myself, why did they fail?  Most common reason is they bit down on something very hard.  Second most common reason is that they grind or clench their teeth, and this habit puts double the load on the veneers or crowns.  Another reason is the material used.  Back in the 1980s feldspathic veneers were the material of choice, actually the only material.  Then a decade later pressed ceramic (Empress porcelain) was introduced that was much stronger and lasted longer.  Today the material of choice for our practice is EMax porcelain, which is incredibly strong and long lasting and we expect to supersede all of the other materials done in years earlier by many years.

Laguna Niguel Dentist

Porcelain veneers & crowns usually last 10-20 years

Most people unfortunately think that any dental work they are having done will last their whole lifetime. I'm glad that your dentist had a frank discussion with you about realistic longevity of dental work. That being said, there are a number of factors that determine how long you can expect your work to last. If you are happy with the shape and setup of your teeth, I would always start with bleaching first.  Many products now are formulated to help with tetracycline stained teeth and the worst case scenario is that they don't get quite as white as you'd like! Start there, see where you end up and then you can always do more if need be.

Gerilyn Alfe, DMD
Chicago Dentist

How long do Veneers last

We generally will tell patients 7-10 years, but really I see them last much longer in patients that take good care of them with proper oral hygiene and routine cleanings. Also, wearing a biteguard will minimize stress on them and allow for greater longevity.

Anjali Rajpal, DMD
Beverly Hills Dentist

In the 26 years of doing cosmetic dentistry, seeing the generations that have come across in my office. Obviously we have treated many patients with tetracycline staining or antibiotic induced staining. Definitely we can get some reasonably good results with deep bleaching. There are now materials that do a very good job. Yet it does not give us the absolute beauty and coverage that we can get from porcelain veneers or porcelain crowns. So I still for those very dark cases I still recommend that we look at porcelain coverage.

Porcelain Veneers vs Deep Bleaching

Porcelain veneers may not be your only choice.  If you like the shape of your teeth and the only thing to correct is color, ask about Kor Deep Bleaching.  We have had good results with teeth that are darker. If you achieve the color you desire, their is minimal upkeep and you will not have to have veneers replaced every 10 years!

How long to Veneers Last

This is an excellent question. The answer is "it depends." The research says that veneers last an average of 8-15 years. Most dentists round this number to every 10 years which is accurate.

Sometimes the veneers can last longer than 10 years but cosmetically they become unsightly. 

I have patients in my office that had veneers done over 25 years ago and they still look pretty good.

There are several things you can do to prolong the life of the veneers.

1) Wear a protective nightguard every night to prevent grinding and chipping the veneers

2) Visit your dentist on a regular basis for checkups

3) Brush and Floss your teeth 2-3 times per day, avoiding abrasive toothpastes

4) Avoid habits such as nail biting, or ice chewing.

Sylvan Fain, DDS
Miami Dentist

How long do porcelain Veneers and Crowns Last?

With todays technology it is not unreasonable for Veneers or crowns to last as long as your natural teeth. In the case of Veneers, as long as bonding protocols are followed properly, well proven materials are used, your veneers are bonded to enamel, your occlusion is not an issue, and you have good oral hygiene, there is no reason you can't keep your Veneers for a lifetime. 

One of the biggest reasons people have replaced veneers in the past is recession of the gums exposing the roots of the teeth and staining around the Veneer root interface. This is actually not a Veneer failure and in fact could , and does happen with natural teeth all the time. Maybe the 10 year comment was based on this possible situation rather than an outright failure of your veneers. 

I myself had 10 Veneers placed on my teeth and plan on keeping them the rest of my life! 

Paul Newitt, BSc, DMD
Vancouver Dentist

Longevity of Porcelain Veneers and Crowns depend on many factors

Many factors come into play in maintenance of Porcelain Veneers and Crowns.

It can depend on the patient’s bite, bruxism, eating habits, home care and dental hygiene.

There is no magical number of years, but under optimal conditions, they should last at least 10-15 years. Veneers are more delicate then crowns and require more care and maintenance.

Arthur Kezian, DDS
Los Angeles Dentist

Try whitening first!

I have experience whitening tetracycline stained teeth.  For years we told patients it didn't work.  But I have done it for a few patients.  If the shape is good, you CAN whiten them.  They may not end up exactly the color you hope for, but they will whiten significantly.  You just have to whiten longer!!!  By that I mean most nights for several months.  (maybe 6 months?)   We usually charge the regular whitening fee and then sell any additional gel needed at our cost.  In the end, this should cost less than one veneer and leave your teeth untouched.  Best of luck!

John Whittemore, DDS
Memphis Dentist

Veneers can last decades

To say that they WILL need to be replaced every 10 years is not accurate. I have replaced veneers that were 30 years old and only being replaced to upgrade the color (there was nothing wrong with them).

I would agree, the antibiotic stains are handled best with the porcelain veneers. I would say that if this dentist only gets 10 years out of their work, perhaps another office would be worth looking into.