How Important is It to Stay out of the Sun for 3 Months After Fraxel?

I have scarring on my face due to years of acne. I was on accutae over a year ago and have began fraxel treaments. My first treatment was about 2 weeks ago (in February) and I was planning to have another treatment a month later in March, and a month after that in April. Now that I am reading how important it is to stay out of the sun, I am worried that my March and April treatments will be too close to the summer - 3 months after April would be the end of July. I spend a lot of time at the beach (I do always wear sunscreen) and I don't want to risk damaging my skin. Should I reschedule my treatments and start again in the fall when I know I'm not going to be in the sun at all?

Sun Exposure After Fraxel re:store Treatment

+1

Hi Elizabeth,

The risk of hyperpigmentation is increased with sun exposure after any laser treatment including Fraxel re:store. It is very important to avoid over exposure to the sun after your treatment. You should speak with your treating physician regarding your summer beach plans and concerns.

I encourage my patients to avoid sun exposure after Fraxel, and usually will wait until a time when they can stay away from the surf and sand.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P