How Do I Find the Right Size for Breast Augmentation?

I am 1.51m tall and am 28 years old. My current bra size is A. I would like to go for breast implants but would like to know if a full C cup would be fine? It is my dream size! I weigh 47kg as i am very short and petite but have a muscular built and at the moment my arms look too big for my breasts. Please let me know what you think.

Breast Augmentation Selecting the Size of Breast Implant How many cc's for breast Implants

+6
I spend a lot of time with patients discussing their hopes for the outcome of surgery. I am particularly interested in their preoperative bra size and fit, in getting an idea of their ideal postoperative bra cup size, and in estimating their ideal implant size and profile. Postop bra cup size cannot be guaranteed (and can actually be quite variable depending on the brand), but it can be helpful in trying to fully understand the breast profile that each patient is seeking. During the consultation we take breast/chest measurements and look at a number of different implant volumes and profiles.
Based on our discussion and on physical examination, I go into surgery knowing what the ideal volume should be within two or three breast implant sizes. I may be sure that a certain profile will be best, or may intend to try out two different implant profiles during the surgical procedure. However the patient and I do not decide on one particular size and profile prior to surgery. That determination is made using the implant sizers. There is absolutely no way, in my opinion, to know exactly which implant is the ideal one for a particular patient in advance of creating the implant pockets in the operating room. Careful evaluation of breast appearance with various sizers in place, with the patient sitting fully upright during the surgery, is essential to getting it right.
Much more important than the number of cc's, or the ultimate cup size, is how it all looks from head to toe. To that end we have patient preop photographs available in the OR, including a shoulder-to-knees photo in both frontal and lateral views. The sterile surgical drapes conceal all but the breasts and chest, so it is extremely important to have a reference for how the augmentation procedure will impact a patient's entire figure.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

See Video: Your size should be based upon your base diameter and implant profile choice

+4

You can likely go to a C cup, but the most important measurement your PS will need to take is the base diameter (check out the attached video!). Your PS should use this measurement with several others, as well as discuss with you your desires, in order to make a decision on a moderate plus or midrange profile implant for a moderate C, or a high profile implant for a full C. Most petite A cup women in my practice get high profile implants if/ when they suggest a desire to be a full C. Good luck!

Jennifer L. Walden, MD

Don't Go By "Cup Size"

+3

Unfortunately, there is no standardization when dealing with cup sizes. One bra manufacturer's C cup may be another one's B cup or vice versa. Therefore, trying to describe your desired results by cup size doesn't really work.

I have my patients try on different implants inside their bras, under a tight shirt and look in the mirror. I want them to keep trying on different implants until they look in the mirror and are completely satisfied. Many patients come in thinking they know the implant volume they want based on what a friend had, but 300 cc's on one patient can look completely different on another patient depending on the amount of breast tissue they have.

It's best to ignore implant numbers or cup sizes and find what you feel looks best in the mirror. In my experience, this is the best way to meet a patient's expectations with a breast augmentation in regards to size.

Michael E. Kelly, MD

Choosing the Right Size for Your Breast Augmentation

+3

Your question is likely the most common question with respect to breast augmentation.

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning 2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. Even your fitness levels and other relevant criteria are taken into consideration. It is you who will decide what you are comfortable with.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for.

This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

The rice test

+3

I usually recommend something called the rice test for breast augmentation patients.  Many women use this simple test to get an idea of how many CC's will be comfortable. Have fun and remember this isn't scientific but it may give you better perspective.

1 cup of dry small grain white rice= 250cc/ml

1. Measure one cup of rice and pour it into a stocking.  Tie with room to allow flattening or molding of rice, make two.

2. Mold each socking into the cup of the bra you would like to "fill". The bra must NOT be padded or underwire. Lean into the bra, secure it and wear it with several different shirts, blouses, jackets, etc. Add or remove rice as needed to determine what volume seems right for you.

3. Once you have an amount of rice that feels and looks good, measure it and your doctor can convert it to CC's.

Good Luck!

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Best Breast Implant size- Making the right decision!

+2

choosing the right breast implant size is the most important decision to make prior to breast augmentation in Los Angeles. I have found over the years that the best way of choosing a right breast implant size is to have the patients try on different breast implant sizes during the consultation. looking at pictures of others with different breast implant sizes is often misleading.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Sizing the breast augmentatipon

+2

Our process to size a proper breast augmentation involves both an objective and subjective component.  The most important measurement in sizing is the width of the breast.  My biggest criticism of some pictures I have seen on the internet is the unusually wide space between the breasts.  This is due to an implant that is too narrow compared to the width of the breast.  Choosing a proper width is the best bet for a natural look.

Having said this; we also try on implants in the office to give people an idea of the result.  It is not an exact science but also reveals concerns and desires.  Ultimately it is a combination of these mechanisms that lead to the final decision.

Wishing you all the best,

Talmage J. Raine MD FACS

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Choosing the Right Breast Implant Size

+2

When women are faced with what implant size if appropriate for their body type, several factors should be considered. These include:

1. Amount of excess skin and sagging of the breast

2. The current cup size

3. The desire cup size

4. Breast width and measurements

5. The amount of breast tissue currently present

In our Jacksonville breast implant center, we use of these factors to help you decide which breast implant size and breast implant profile is right for you. In addition, I typically performed a sizing consultation with patients and allow them to try on the various size breast implants to help guide their choice. I inform patients that breast implants typically look larger on the outside when stuffed in a bra than when they are surgically placed during breast augmentation surgery to help them decide on their final breast implant size.

Ankit Desai, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Sizing

+2

Choosing the right size (and shape) implant is critical to the success of the breast augmentation.
How you see yourself: The key is each person's own aesthetic, sense of balance and proportion.
We work together to find the right size to give you the look you want to achieve.
Anatomic Foundation: An important part of a successful outcome is anatomic.  Your individual anatomy must be the foundation for the implant choice. We take careful measurements as a basis for determining what size and shape implants will give you the best fit. 
Implant Sizers: During our consultation, you will have the chance to try on different implant sizers to see how different size implants look and feel to you.  We even encourage you to wear the sizers home to get used to the new size, even try on some different clothes to be sure you are getting the look you desire.
3 Dimensional Imaging: We bring state of the art technology to help you make the right choice.  During your consultation, we will use your own image to produce 3-dimensional computer imaging of your body with different size and shape implants. You can see your own simulated before-and-after photos in 3-D to help you see the result you wish to achieve and feel more confident in your choice for breast augmentation: Come see the difference!

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Work with your surgeon, and with sizers.

+2

Knowing what size you want to be is something that I spend a lot of time on with women. But there are a couple of things that should first be understood. There is no perfect breast size. Generally there is a range that will look good for any given woman. Cup size is something we talk about a lot, but this is really quite vague. What cup size you wear will depend upon the manufacturer of the bra, how you like your bras to fit, padding (not a problem after the operation), and chest size. And your overall body size and body frame must be taken into consideration.

It is important that the implant "fit" your chest and your existing breast tissue. To determine which implants will work for a particular women, I will take numerous measurements of the breast and chest wall to understand which implants will be good options. In most cases, we can find an implant the will "fit" the chest in the size that is desired. Usually this will affect the profile of the implant that I use.

So, how do we determine the right size? There is really no substitue for working with sizers. We will put you in a bra, and place different sizers in the bras to simulate how different sized implants will appear. Frequently we will do this on several occasions, and we encourage women to bring you favorite tops to try on with the sizers.

Depending upon whether the implants will be placed above or below the muscle, we will go up in varying amounts on the implants we use to make sure we get the same result as the sizers chosen.

That you are comfortable with with how you look with the sizers is much more important than what size bra you will eventually wear. We all know that cup size depends on the manufacturer of the bra and the particular style you like. If you go up in chest size to have your bra fit the way you want it to, you will not go up as much in terms of cup size. If you buy from one store over another, you will go up more or less in terms of the cup size.

So, your size is more important than your bra size.

David B. Reath, MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon