When Should I Start Worrying About Wrinkles?

How early should I start worrying about wrinkles?

Prevention is the best wrinkle treatment

+3

This is a great question. Wrinkles will eventually come to all of us, and the real key to maintaining a youthful appearance is prevention, followed by incremental and appropriate treatments as needed. In other words, not everyone needs a facelift at 45, but some folks actually will benefit very nicely from it. In general, consider these options:

Starting even as a teenager, sunblock and good skin care is critical - this should be part of your daily routine

As you get into your 20s and thirties, more formal topical skin care regimens like Obagi or Nia 24 may be appropriate, again in an effort to maintain good skin quality and even to start to repair some signs of aging and sun damage (brown spots, fine lines around the eyelids).

The next set of options include laser resurfacing or skin tightening procedures or chemical peels - what to use and when to use these options varies from patient to patient, and so you need to have a formal consultation with an experienced surgeon to assess your particular skin and your specific goals.

The final set of options include surgical treatments like eyelid lifts, facelifts or browlifts.

To summarize, it is never too early to start caring for your skin. There are lots of options out there and in general I recommend conservative treatments to start, especially for folks in their 20s and 30s, and to use more involved procedures as needed.

When you see wrinkles, treatment can begin

+2

There is no right time. When you see them, treatment can begin. It is not unusual to use Botox to minimize frowning even before the lines (the "11" between the eyebrows) develop.

The other answer to your question is that children should be using sunscreen to prevent chronic sun exposure, which is the number one cause of the aged facial appearance. Ultraviolet A rays penetrate deeply in to the dermis under the epidermis and degrade collagen and elastin, which then induces wrinkles, yellowing and surface changes like cobblestones once the person becomes older, especially if they continue to expose themselves to the sun over the years.

Ronald Shelton, MD