How Can I Get Permanent Plumped Lips?

I am tired of getting restyaln injections for my lips...what works to get permenent lip plumping?

Permalip Impants are safe and predictable

+4

If you want to avoid repetitive lip injections that can be painful and expensive, Permalip implants are a safe and predictable alternative.  Whether you have naturally thin lips or have lost volume in your lips due to the aging process, these implants provide a quick, customizable (and reversible!) way to create fuller, plumper lips and reduce fine wrinkles around the mouth.

Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip implants with Surgisil

+4

Lip implanting has a sordid past.  Over the years there have been many brands and styles.  It wasn't until I started using Surgisil Implants that I embraced the procedure.  These implants are made of silastic and have a "gummy bear" feel.  The procedure itself takes only 20 minutes and you can drive yourself home.  Surgisil lip implants are quite easy to remove and return your lip to its pre-surgical shape/size should you change your mind. 

You can upsize or downsize the implants.  Bruising and swelling are mild.  The procedure is done through a tiny little incision that typically leaves no discernible scar.  Kissing partners don't feel the implant, however you can feel the implant if you grasp or chew on your lip.  I have never seen an implant get infected, but should an infection occur, it is possible that permanent damage to your lip could result.

Louis W. Apostolakis, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

There are several options for lip augmentation, but only...

+4

There are several options for lip augmentation, but only two for permanent lip augmentation: autologous fat or implants.

There are no permanent synthetic fillers available for use in the lips. Some physicians have used silicone injections into the lips with good results, but as mentioned, if the results are not as desired it is impossible to correct.

Autologous fat, or fat from the belly or thighs, can be harvested and injected into the lips. It may take 2 or 3 injections to get things just right but it will produce permanent results. In my practice, I suggest patients have temporary filler injections in the lips first to be sure that they like the fuller look. I would then do fat transfer when the temporary filler wears off.

Another option for lip augmentation is implant placement. Currently there are several implants available including ePTFE (Gore-Tex) implants and solid silicone implants. These can be placed using local anesthesia but do run the risk of extrusion, becoming infected, and not staying the desired location.

Again, when determining your best option, seek out a surgeon who has several techniques he uses so that he can give you a well rounded assessment.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Permanent lip augmentations

+3

The surgical lip lift and silicone lip implants both give permanent results and these are very safe and effective. Fat and fillers can look great and I do them all the time but they are temporary. When a pateint is tired of coming in every 6 months for lip augmenation I will offfer them on of the permanent options and these people are very happy with the results.

Jason B. Diamond, MD

There are many different materials used for permanent...

+2

There are many different materials used for permanent lip augmentation. My preference is your own fat because it feels and looks natural when properly performed.

Fat transfer initially looks over-corrected for a few weeks. Approximately 50-60% of the fat transferred "takes". What is present after 6 months is permanent, alive fat. Additional touch ups can be performed if necessary.

With any lip augmentation expect your lips to be bruised for 5-7 days, and swollen for a few weeks.

Other permanent lip augmentation materials include Gor-tex (Soft-form), fascia (your own tissue taken from a muscle in your temple area), Silicone (be careful), Biomed (in Canada), and most recently Vera-fil (a saline filled implant).

I would advise that you try temporary fillers first to make sure of the size and shape of the lips that you prefer prior to having a permanent implant placed.

Michael A. Persky, MD

How To Get Permanent Plumped Lips

+1
PermaLip implants are composed of silicone, a material that mimics the natural tissue of the lips.  It is soft enough to create a realistic texture, yet semi-solid to ensure the lips retain their shape. PermaLip is not only effective; it has also proven safe through extensive testing. Available in an array of lengths and widths to best suit each patient, PermaLip is ideal for interested candidates of all ages. PermaLip is easily removed if the patient opts to receive a smaller or larger implant.  Unlike lip injections of fillers that require maintenance, PermaLip implants create a long-term lip augmentation. Maintaining the enhancements to your lips is very easy. A permanent lip augmentation is less costly over time than the upkeep of injectable fillers.

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Fat injections to lips for permanent lip plumping.

+1

Fat grafting to your lips is the best solution if you are looking for a permanent result with the same look as Radiesse.  I do not recommend lip implants because thet feel unnatural and patients are happier with fat grafting.

Beware of implants for permanent lip augmentation

+1

The appeal of permanent implants for lip augmentation is that they are permanent. But realize that the problems they can cause can be permanent too. The advantage of injectable fillers like Juvederm or Restylane is that although they last several months to a year, they are NOT permanent. When they go away, they don't leave any damage behind.

Permanent implants on the other hand can get infected, break, or extrude, all of which can cause permanent scar tissue and disfigurement. Permanent implants will also be a problem as the surounding lip tissues atrophy with age. They will become visible and likely need revision or removal - so they really aren't "permanent" anyway.

Fat injection is a "permanent" option that has the advantage of using your own tissue, but has some disadvantages of being somewhat unpredictable and often needing additonal procedures.

Douglas J. Mackenzie, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon