How Can I Get Permanent Plumped Lips?

I am tired of getting restyaln injections for my lips...what works to get permenent lip plumping?

Lip implants with Surgisil

Lip implanting has a sordid past.  Over the years there have been many brands and styles.  It wasn't until I started using Surgisil Implants that I embraced the procedure.  These implants are made of silastic and have a "gummy bear" feel.  The procedure itself takes only 20 minutes and you can drive yourself home.  Surgisil lip implants are quite easy to remove and return your lip to its pre-surgical shape/size should you change your mind. 

You can upsize or downsize the implants.  Bruising and swelling are mild.  The procedure is done through a tiny little incision that typically leaves no discernible scar.  Kissing partners don't feel the implant, however you can feel the implant if you grasp or chew on your lip.  I have never seen an implant get infected, but should an infection occur, it is possible that permanent damage to your lip could result.

Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

There are several options for lip augmentation, but only...

There are several options for lip augmentation, but only two for permanent lip augmentation: autologous fat or implants.

There are no permanent synthetic fillers available for use in the lips. Some physicians have used silicone injections into the lips with good results, but as mentioned, if the results are not as desired it is impossible to correct.

Autologous fat, or fat from the belly or thighs, can be harvested and injected into the lips. It may take 2 or 3 injections to get things just right but it will produce permanent results. In my practice, I suggest patients have temporary filler injections in the lips first to be sure that they like the fuller look. I would then do fat transfer when the temporary filler wears off.

Another option for lip augmentation is implant placement. Currently there are several implants available including ePTFE (Gore-Tex) implants and solid silicone implants. These can be placed using local anesthesia but do run the risk of extrusion, becoming infected, and not staying the desired location.

Again, when determining your best option, seek out a surgeon who has several techniques he uses so that he can give you a well rounded assessment.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Permalip Impants are safe and predictable

If you want to avoid repetitive lip injections that can be painful and expensive, Permalip implants are a safe and predictable alternative.  Whether you have naturally thin lips or have lost volume in your lips due to the aging process, these implants provide a quick, customizable (and reversible!) way to create fuller, plumper lips and reduce fine wrinkles around the mouth.

Daniel J. Leeman, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Permanent lip augmentations

The surgical lip lift and silicone lip implants both give permanent results and these are very safe and effective. Fat and fillers can look great and I do them all the time but they are temporary. When a pateint is tired of coming in every 6 months for lip augmenation I will offfer them on of the permanent options and these people are very happy with the results.

Jason B. Diamond, MD

There are many different materials used for permanent...

There are many different materials used for permanent lip augmentation. My preference is your own fat because it feels and looks natural when properly performed.

Fat transfer initially looks over-corrected for a few weeks. Approximately 50-60% of the fat transferred "takes". What is present after 6 months is permanent, alive fat. Additional touch ups can be performed if necessary.

With any lip augmentation expect your lips to be bruised for 5-7 days, and swollen for a few weeks.

Other permanent lip augmentation materials include Gor-tex (Soft-form), fascia (your own tissue taken from a muscle in your temple area), Silicone (be careful), Biomed (in Canada), and most recently Vera-fil (a saline filled implant).

I would advise that you try temporary fillers first to make sure of the size and shape of the lips that you prefer prior to having a permanent implant placed.

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Permanent Plumped Lips for All

Great question and you will be happy with the answer. The PermaLip Implants really are permanent lip implants. Over the past 5-6 years since performing the permalip implant, none have developed any contracture or firmness around the implant. The implants do not have a liquid silicone filling but firm gel-like similar to the newer silicone breast implants. Placed properly they look very natural. I usually always place the large implants with great satisfaction by the patients. Additional fillers can be placed on top of the permalip if more contouring or enlargement is needed. Good luck.

Paul E. Goco, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Permanent larger lips

We have used permanent lip implants made of a flexible silicone  strip to augment the lip volume. The procedure can be done in the office with a dental block. The implant is placed through small incisions in the corners of the mouth. Occasionally a minor adjustment is performed several weeks later if required. That happens in about 5% of cases.

Wishing you all the best,

Talmage Raine MD FACS

Talmage J. Raine, MD, FACS
Champaign Plastic Surgeon

How Can I Get Permanent Plumped Lips?

Thank you for your question. Lip Implants may be a reasonable option for those individuals who are seeking permanent lip enhancement or for those who have not been satisfied with the longevity of effect afforded by hyaluronic acid fillers.

Various options for permanent lip augmentation are available. Each option carries its own set of relative advantages and drawbacks. Consider consultation with a board-certified facial surgeon to discuss your concerns and goals and which options may be best for you.

James M. Pearson, MD

How To Get Permanent Plumped Lips

PermaLip implants are composed of silicone, a material that mimics the natural tissue of the lips.  It is soft enough to create a realistic texture, yet semi-solid to ensure the lips retain their shape. PermaLip is not only effective; it has also proven safe through extensive testing. Available in an array of lengths and widths to best suit each patient, PermaLip is ideal for interested candidates of all ages. PermaLip is easily removed if the patient opts to receive a smaller or larger implant.  Unlike lip injections of fillers that require maintenance, PermaLip implants create a long-term lip augmentation. Maintaining the enhancements to your lips is very easy. A permanent lip augmentation is less costly over time than the upkeep of injectable fillers.

Fat injections to lips for permanent lip plumping.

Fat grafting to your lips is the best solution if you are looking for a permanent result with the same look as Radiesse.  I do not recommend lip implants because thet feel unnatural and patients are happier with fat grafting.