How Do You Address Indent After Removal of a Lipoma?

My friend's recent lipoma surgery has resulted in a drain bag because of the size of the lipoma, around the side of his chest area. The incision itself is minimal, however, he was not prepared for the "space"/"indentation" left by the now absent lipoma. Are there any options for getting rid of or reducing that indentation post-recovery? I don't have a picture - he's in California and I'm in Hawaii and I'm trying to help him research options. He doesn't have access to a digital camera at this time.

Fat grafting for indentations

+2

If the indentation is very deep, a conservative fat grafting to the area would address the space. A picture would be very helpful. Otherwise, a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Fixing a depression after removal of a lipoma

+1

As your friend has experienced, some lipomas are bigger than others. The larger lipomas may reside in the deeper tissue and may compress the surrounding tissues. When these large lipomas are removed, and depression is possible. To prevent this, your best bet is to work with a board-certified plastic surgeon as they will be able to anticipate this problem and tried to rearrange her tissue or move tissue into this area to help fill this defect. If your friend already had this defect, your friend should wait until healing process has completed and then revisit with a plastic surgeon. Your plastic surgeon may recommend a revision surgery where tissue from the surrounding area is brought into the depression to fill this defect or may consider techniques such as fat grafting to help fill this defect.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Surgery for Lipomas on the body

+1

Lipomas are benign tumors of fat cells and they occur subcutaneously or deep within the muscle. They usually have a slow growth curve and rarely invade adjacent structures. However, they do exert a pressure effect and can atrophy surrounding tissue.

After removal of a lipoma, it is important to wait 3 to 6 months for swelling to subside before performing any other procedure. At that time, Endermologie may improve contour or fat grafting may replace resected fat. Both should be done by a board certified plastic surgeon.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Wait

+1

The depression post lipoma removal is common. The reason for the depression is that lipoma pushed the fatty tissue around to make room ,and when it is removed may take many months to depression to resolve. If the depression is not resolved in 6 months then you may have fat injection to relaced the lost tissue. The other options are fillers like Juvaderm or restylane.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Defect after lipoma removal.

+1

Yes. You could consider autogenous fat grafting as an option. your firend should see a plastic surgeon to discuss this as an option. It would likely take more than one treatment but I have used it to successfully treat a similar condition.

Some physicians have used sculptra with mixed reports of success for management of liposuciton irrecgularities.