How Do I Know if I Need Labiaplasty?

Do I need labiaplasty?

+3

A labiaplasty is usually done if the woman is self-conscious of the size or protrusion of the inner lips.  Most of these women also complain of discomfort of the labia minora with clothes, exercise, or sex.  Any of these reasons are sufficient to justify a labiaplasty.

Most patients who come to me regarding a labioplasty are self conscious because of the length of their labia minora.

+3

They complain of discomfort in tight clothing and being self-conscious in a bathing suite.  They sometimes have feel they have to "tuck themselves i'n to avoid irritation.  Some patients just don't like the aesthetic appearance. 

Leila Kasrai, MD, FRCSC

WHO IS A LABIAPLASTY CANDIDATE?

+2

No woman needs a Labiaplasty, unless they are very  self conscious and it is troublesome. 

If the large, long, or stretched out labia minora are being pinched or irritated:

1. with certain clothing ,
  2. while sitting,
  3. during certain physical activities, or
  4. during sex

Then labiaplasty may be an option for you.

Carlos Cordoba, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Reasons to get Labiaplasty

+2

Women get labiaplasty because they do not like the way their labia look, or if the labia causes discomfort because of its size

Labia come in all shapes and sizes, and sometimes women feel very self-conscious about the appearance of an excessively large labia.  They approach us and most often request that the labia minora (inner labia) is trimmed so that it doesn't stick out from in between the outer labia.

Sometimes the labia can cause discomfort during sex, physical activity such as bike or horseback riding, or it may be getting caught in clothes.  These patients are often very frustrated with their labia and request that we trim as much as possible and don't care how much is left behind (if any).

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD

You don't need labiaplasty if you have no complaints

+2

If you have no complaints, then YOU DO NOT NEED THE SURGERY.

You should treat what bothers you, not have the surgery because it can be done.

Any surgery is a major decision with potential risks and complications.

Do you NEED a labiaplasty

+2

Thanks for your question.

As many of the other plastic surgeons have pointed out. Very rarely does anyone *need* a labiaplasty (though I have had several patients treated in my San Francisco area practice who have had significant labial tears from childbirth or other surgeries who had insurance covered labiaplasty).

More commonly labiaplasty is for cosmetic reasons though we commonly have patients describe pain during sex or sitting who have had significant improvement.

Asymmetry of the labia minora can also cause self image issues that some women may wish to seek surgery to improve.

For the vast majority of women this can be considered a cosmetic procedure. Find a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns and needs.

Steven H. Williams, MD

It is a matter of opinion.

+2

Few women "need" a labiaplasty, but some women are bothered by the size of the vaginal lips (Labia minorae.) In some cases they rub and hurt with tight clothing, small underwear and/or sexual interactions. The "normal" variation in the size of the Labia minorae is pretty large and when women carried more hair "down there" in years gone by (ten to twenty years ago) there was little if any interest in the operation.

This is an issue of "function meets fashion." I do them as reductions for size and the patients do well. I am not a believer in internal vaginal surgery but that is a matter of opinion.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty is a want, not a need

+1
Like bigger breasts, a larger butt, a smaller waist or perfect teeth, a labiaplasty will give you a certain look. If that makes you happy, then you should dig deeper. However, if you've got no issue with the look or feel of your labia, leave them alone. The web reference shows what some of my patients looked like before they underwent labiaplasty:

Marco A. Pelosi III, MD
Jersey City Cosmetic Gynecologist

Labiaplasty

+1
Reasons to get a labiaplasty for the inner lips (labia minora) include discomfort with sex and sports and physical activity or tight clothing, urine stream deviation, desiring a different appearance of the area, and problems with hygiene due to excess tissue in the area that holds moisture.  Also for labia majora, excessive outline in tight clothing causing embarrassment.

Susan Kolb, MD

Who is a Candidate for a Labiaplasty?

+1
Labiaplasty is most commonly an aesthetic procedure.  Similar to breast augmentations or other aesthetic procedures it is a personal decision.  The most common reason that women seek a labialplasty is when the labia minor (inner lips) hang below the rest of the vagina.  Women often want the labia to be smooth without any extra skin below.  

The other common procedure to enhance the vaginal area is fat grafting to the labia major (outer lips).  This is commonly done in older women that have a deflated vaginal area.  

The combination of fat grafting the labia majora and trimming the labia minora give women a more youthful and smooth appearing vaginal area.  

Good Luck!

Johnny Franco, MD