How Do I Know if I Need Labiaplasty?

Do I need labiaplasty?

+2

A labiaplasty is usually done if the woman is self-conscious of the size or protrusion of the inner lips.  Most of these women also complain of discomfort of the labia minora with clothes, exercise, or sex.  Any of these reasons are sufficient to justify a labiaplasty.

Most patients who come to me regarding a labioplasty are self conscious because of the length of their labia minora.

+2

They complain of discomfort in tight clothing and being self-conscious in a bathing suite.  They sometimes have feel they have to "tuck themselves i'n to avoid irritation.  Some patients just don't like the aesthetic appearance. 

WHO IS A LABIAPLASTY CANDIDATE?

+2

No woman needs a Labiaplasty, unless they are very  self conscious and it is troublesome. 

If the large, long, or stretched out labia minora are being pinched or irritated:

1. with certain clothing ,
  2. while sitting,
  3. during certain physical activities, or
  4. during sex

Then labiaplasty may be an option for you.

Montreal Plastic Surgeon

You don't need labiaplasty if you have no complaints

+2

If you have no complaints, then YOU DO NOT NEED THE SURGERY.

You should treat what bothers you, not have the surgery because it can be done.

Any surgery is a major decision with potential risks and complications.

Do you NEED a labiaplasty

+2

Thanks for your question.

As many of the other plastic surgeons have pointed out. Very rarely does anyone *need* a labiaplasty (though I have had several patients treated in my San Francisco area practice who have had significant labial tears from childbirth or other surgeries who had insurance covered labiaplasty).

More commonly labiaplasty is for cosmetic reasons though we commonly have patients describe pain during sex or sitting who have had significant improvement.

Asymmetry of the labia minora can also cause self image issues that some women may wish to seek surgery to improve.

For the vast majority of women this can be considered a cosmetic procedure. Find a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns and needs.

It is a matter of opinion.

+2

Few women "need" a labiaplasty, but some women are bothered by the size of the vaginal lips (Labia minorae.) In some cases they rub and hurt with tight clothing, small underwear and/or sexual interactions. The "normal" variation in the size of the Labia minorae is pretty large and when women carried more hair "down there" in years gone by (ten to twenty years ago) there was little if any interest in the operation.

This is an issue of "function meets fashion." I do them as reductions for size and the patients do well. I am not a believer in internal vaginal surgery but that is a matter of opinion.

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Need for labiaplasty?

+1
Labiaplastiy is a surgical operation usually done to reduce the size of the labia minora.  Many women are self conscious of this area of their anatomy.  Sometimes there may be discomfort.  This operation should be done by one who is familiar with the anatomy, risks/benefits of the operation. Best to see a board certified plastic surgeon. Together you will review the goals and see if this is a reasonable option for you.

How do I know I need labiaplasty

+1
I specialize in labiaplasty and there are a lot of reasons my patients seek surgery.  Some patients were born with either excess tissue or asymmetry. Some of these patients feel that the excess labia tissue rubs in jeans, causes discomfort with exercise, or shows in leggings and bathing suits. Other women had changes with childbirth and would like to restore their pre-pregnancy look.  Some women get labiaplasty for purely cosmetic reasons and to feel more self confident during intimacy.  Whatever the reason, I truly feel that this surgery helps improve women's quality of life.

Web reference: http://www.makeyouperfect.com/procedures/labiaplasty/

Need a labiaplsty?

+1

A good candidate for a labiaplasty has labia minor that hang down below the labia majora and also have discomfort with tight fitting clothes or during sex.

Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Reasons for labiaplasty

+1

Labiaplasty can be very beneficial for a woman who has enlarged labia minora that can lead to discomfort with certain clothing, exercise, and intercourse. It may also be the source of self-consciousness due to the size or protrusion of the inner lips.    

I hope that helps and wish you all the best.

Web reference: https://www.beautologie.com/meet-the-doctors/doctor-james-knoetgen

Fresno Plastic Surgeon