How Do I Know if I Need Labiaplasty?

Do you NEED a labiaplasty

Thanks for your question.

As many of the other plastic surgeons have pointed out. Very rarely does anyone *need* a labiaplasty (though I have had several patients treated in my San Francisco area practice who have had significant labial tears from childbirth or other surgeries who had insurance covered labiaplasty).

More commonly labiaplasty is for cosmetic reasons though we commonly have patients describe pain during sex or sitting who have had significant improvement.

Asymmetry of the labia minora can also cause self image issues that some women may wish to seek surgery to improve.

For the vast majority of women this can be considered a cosmetic procedure. Find a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns and needs.

Most patients who come to me regarding a labioplasty are self conscious because of the length of their labia minora.

They complain of discomfort in tight clothing and being self-conscious in a bathing suite.  They sometimes have feel they have to "tuck themselves i'n to avoid irritation.  Some patients just don't like the aesthetic appearance. 

No woman needs a Labiaplasty, unless they are very  self conscious and it is troublesome. 

If the large, long, or stretched out labia minora are being pinched or irritated:

1. with certain clothing ,
  2. while sitting,
  3. during certain physical activities, or
  4. during sex

Then labiaplasty may be an option for you.

Carlos Cordoba, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

You don't need labiaplasty if you have no complaints

If you have no complaints, then YOU DO NOT NEED THE SURGERY.

You should treat what bothers you, not have the surgery because it can be done.

Any surgery is a major decision with potential risks and complications.

Do I need labiaplasty?

A labiaplasty is usually done if the woman is self-conscious of the size or protrusion of the inner lips.  Most of these women also complain of discomfort of the labia minora with clothes, exercise, or sex.  Any of these reasons are sufficient to justify a labiaplasty.

Gary J. Alter, MD

Reasons to get Labiaplasty

Women get labiaplasty because they do not like the way their labia look, or if the labia causes discomfort because of its size

Labia come in all shapes and sizes, and sometimes women feel very self-conscious about the appearance of an excessively large labia.  They approach us and most often request that the labia minora (inner labia) is trimmed so that it doesn't stick out from in between the outer labia.

Sometimes the labia can cause discomfort during sex, physical activity such as bike or horseback riding, or it may be getting caught in clothes.  These patients are often very frustrated with their labia and request that we trim as much as possible and don't care how much is left behind (if any).

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD

It is a matter of opinion.

Few women "need" a labiaplasty, but some women are bothered by the size of the vaginal lips (Labia minorae.) In some cases they rub and hurt with tight clothing, small underwear and/or sexual interactions. The "normal" variation in the size of the Labia minorae is pretty large and when women carried more hair "down there" in years gone by (ten to twenty years ago) there was little if any interest in the operation.

This is an issue of "function meets fashion." I do them as reductions for size and the patients do well. I am not a believer in internal vaginal surgery but that is a matter of opinion.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Who Needs a Labiaplasty?

Most women don't need a labiaplasty. There are many variation on what is normal with regard to every part of the body.  A lot of it comes down to personal preference and what a female is comfortable with.  Labiaplasty is often performed for excessively long or uneven labia minora that causes a female to be self-conscious of the area during relations with her partner.  Women can also be embarrassed of their outward appearance when wearing a bathing suit or tight fitting exercise pants.  In addition, there are functional concerns with excessively long labia.  Long labia can cause chronic irritation while exercising or wearing tight clothing.  In addition, they can irritate women during sexual activity by going into the vagina.  All of these are reasons to consider a labiaplasty.

Shareef Jandali, MD
Fairfield Plastic Surgeon

Do I need a labiaplasty?

Many women who undergo labiaplasty do not "need" the procedure.  Most women who seek labiaplasty are looking to improve the appearance of their vulva by reducing the excess labia minora (inner lips) which prodrudes from their labia majora (outer lips) while standing.  Some women note that the excess labia minora is visible in their bathing suit or work out clothing. Others find it difficult with hygiene to the area giving the excess skin or discomfort with exercise, riding a bicycle or with sexual intercourse. 

Luis H. Macias, MD

Need a labiaplasty?

Excess labia minora tissue can cause discomfort in tight clothing and present hygiene issues. Some women feel embarrassed by the appearance of the vaginal area. This can cause a certain degree of sexual dysfunction. The labia majora can also appear deflated over time. There are non-surgical and surgical procedures to address this issue.