How Do I Find a Trustworthy Doctor for Breast Explantation?

I need to get an explantation, but don't have any idea how to find a surgeon. How do I find a trustworthy doctor to do the procedure? My GP couldn't help me with this question. I live in Florida.

Some basic questions to ask

+3

There are some basic questions that patients can ask to better understand the surgeon, the breast explantation procedure, and the practice.
Are you certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery?
Are you a Fellow of American or International College of Surgeons?
Are you a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery?
Were you trained specifically in the field of plastic surgery?
Will you be performing the breast explantation procedure in a hospital or private setting?
Do you have hospital privileges to perform breast explantation ?
Is the office-based surgical facility accredited by a nationally- or state-recognized accrediting agency?
What do I need to do as the patient to get the best results?
How will you perform the breast explantation procedure?
What surgical technique is recommended for me?
How long of a recovery period can I expect, and what kind of help will I need during my recovery?
What are the risks and complications associated with the breast explantation procedure?
How are complications handled?
What results are reasonable for me?
What are my options if I am dissatisfied with the cosmetic outcome of the breast explantation ?
Do you have before-and-after photos that I can look at for breast explantation ?

Credentials, then questions

+3

Once you have checked the credentials of the doctor (board certified in plastic surgery, hospital affiliations, where did they go to school, ASAPS, ASPS, years in practice, experience, etc.), you may want to ask questions during your consultation with the doctor.

A straightforward explantation of a breast implant is a technically easy procedure.

However, will all the scar tissue be removed? Does it all need to be removed? What will the breasts look like afterward? Is a lift required? Will there be sagging skin? A plastic surgeon experienced with breast surgery will be able to anticipate these problems ahead of time. This could prevent the heartache and expense of having to have revision breast surgery when a predictable problem occurs.

You should get reasonable answers from these questions and feel comfortable with your surgeon before proceeding.

Finding a good plastic surgeon for breast surgery

+2

This is always challenging but the good news is that there are many ways. First, search the American Society of Plastic Surgeons website for a surgeon in your area, www.plasticsurgery.org. These are all board certified plastic surgeons and is a good place to start. You should only have surgery with a surgeon Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Find out in your community the name of a general surgeon who specializes in breast cancer. You can find out about this by asking your local hospital, gynecologist, friends and family. Call this person's office and find out what plastic surgeon they work with. Ask friends, collegues, dermatologists, everyone you come across who they recommend.

After a while one or two names will probably surface repeatedly. Call the plastic surgeons office and ask the staff what is the doctor's favorite procedure, etc. This will give you a feel for what the surgeon specializes in. Once you find one or two plastic surgeons, ask for references so you can call some patients and find out about their experience with the doctor. It sounds like a lot of work, but in the end it is worth it. If I knew what area of Florida you are in, I could give you some names. Hope this helps.

Board Certification is key

+2

The key to well trained experts in plastic surgery is board certification. Do your research and be sure to find a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

In addition be sure to find out if your plastic surgeon has experience in explantation and revision breast augmentation.

In our San Francisco area practice we spend significant amounts of time with patients unhappy with their breast implants to discuss all options and likely outcomes.

I hope this helps!

Check with friends, your MD, and the ASPS web site

+2

What you want is an American Board of Plastic Surgery certified surgeon who has a significant experience in breast implant and explant surgery. The recommendations of the other doctors here as to how to research this are excellent.

Explantation of saline is simple, gel can be more complex if it is ruptured and anticipating what you will look like after explantation is something that comes from experience in doing this. Some patients need nothing, some might need lifting. These should be issues a qualified plastic surgeon should review with you.

+1

I recommend considering a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and a member of the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ASAPS) and/or the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS)

Breast Explantation Surgeon

+1

I would recommend going to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons website and looking for reputable surgeons in your area.      You can also utilize this website and search for board certified plastic surgeons.

I wish you a safe recovery.

Dr. Gill

Web reference: http://www.drpaulgill.com

Plastic Surgeon Recommendation

+1

The best place to start is with the Amercan Society of Plastic Surgery (ASPS).  You can go online and get a list of the Board Certified Plastic Surgeons in your area. Afterwards, call the hospital in the area to make sure he is on staff. 

Finding a qualified surgeon for implant removal

+1

Please do your homework!  Most people put more time and effort picking out a car dealer than a surgeon who is going to operate on them.  With the Internet it is very easy to research different surgeons.  Here is what you should look for:

• Board Certified in Plastic Surgery (Not Cosmetic Surgery-that is a self designated board, not a real American Board of Medical Specialties Board)
  • Member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons
  • Performs frequent breast implant procedures
  • Has hospital privileges to perform breast implant procedures

After you have chosen 2 or 3 doctors, call their office and "feel them out", if you like what you hear, schedule a consultation to meet the doctor and his staff.  You should be able to pick a compatible, board certified plastic surgeon that will be able to help you through the process of implant removal and the potential side effects afterward.

Good Luck!

Web reference: http://www.bodybyfinkle.com

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Finding your surgeon

+1

I agree that you need to do your research, choose a surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (not cosmetic surgery) and a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.  From here, you know you are selecting from qualified surgeons.  You need to meet with the surgeon, see many examples of their work and talk to patients about their experience with the surgeon and the staff.  If there is a way to speak to and meet patients who have undergone a similar procedure, that is usually very useful.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/