How Do I Find a Surgeon Who Has Expertise in Smart Lipo on Darker Skin?

i imagine you need special skills for dark skin and laser treatments like smart lipo. who is best qualified?

SmartLipo doctors for darker skin

+5

Darker-skinned patients should always be very cautious in selecting a surgeon, as their skin is always at risk for less than ideal scarring.

So far as fat extraction itself goes, there is no difference between darker and lighter skinned people.

The issue has to do with the incisions themselves. And despite the implication from some of their marketing materials and the advertisements of some of the doctors that tout it, SmartLipo is no more or less prone to unsightly scars than any other method of liposuction. Like other methods, an incision is still needed to get inside the skin.

The key to good scars

The key to getting good scars is to place the incisions in skin creases and hidden areas when possible, make clean incisions, avoid abrading them during the liposuction, and finally to close them nicely. These are all things that will be done better by the better surgeon, so it is important to find the best surgeon you can, and hopefully one experienced in the difficulties with getting great scars in darker-skinned patients.

SmartLipo is fairly new and as yet, there is no data that shows the superiority of it whatsoever. So if I were you, I would just search for the best surgeon, rather than limiting myself to surgeons who do SmartLipo. I promise you that you will get the best result with the best surgeon, whether it is with SmartLipo or another method.

Think of it this way; if you wanted to find the best violinist, you wouldn’t ask for a list of people who owned a Stradivarius; you’d look for the best player. And a though the superiority of a Strad is recognized by musicians the world over, the evidence to date only shows the advantage of SmartLipo as a marketing gimmick for those that own it, which is no reason for you to get it. I’d suggest you go to the website below and find a surgeon who is a member of ASAPS, the most prestigious group of surgeons performing cosmetic surgery.

Increased risks for uncertain benefits

If there is an advantage to SmartLipo – and this has not been shown – it would be in tightening skin through the production of heat. That sounds good, except that there is a fine line between heating skin enough to contract and heating skin enough for it to burn.

Even if someone had shown an advantage with SmartLipo in creating collagen contraction –which is only a theoretical advantage – I would be loathe to suggest a dark-skinned person dabble with intentionally heating their skin. But that’s just me. I’m conservative, and I don’t believe in subjecting patients to increased risks for uncertain benefits.

Smartlipo Tumescent Liposuction for ethnic skin

+1

The major challenges associated with any surgical procedure including Smartlipo Tumescent Liposuction for ethnic skin person are risks of hypertrophic/keloidal scarring as well as post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. You may be better served by a skilled Dermatologic Surgeon who has expertise in treating skin issues related to darker skin persons.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

SmartLipo on darker skin

+1

Unlike many other lasers that are beamed directly at the skin, SmartLipo is zapped below the skin's surface, so it doesn't matter what your skin to is for SmartLipo. With lasers beamed directly at the skin, such as those used for hair removal and rejuvenation, darker skinned individuals do need to be more cautious.

As far as finding a qualified surgeon, there are many factors that go in to this decision including the surgeon's experience, the surgeon's aesthetic sense, and whether or not your personalities and expectations match.

Lawrence A. Osman, MD
Woodland Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Experts in Smartlipo

+1

One of the great things about liposuction and Smartlipo is that is performed through very small incisions.  So, risk or scarring or pigmentation changes which may be a factor in deciding to have surgery are virtually non-existent.  So, the color of your skin does not really matter with this procedure.  

David Shafer, MD

Searching for the right SmartLipo Doctor

+1

Actually since the SmartLipo procedure is done under the skin, the color of your skin is not an issue. Go on consultations and ask to see pictures of the physicians work. We were the first to pioneer SmartLipo and you can go to our website to get answers to your questions.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Finding a good doctor for SmartLipo

+1

Since SmartLipo is a procedure done underneath the skin it actually makes no difference as to whether your skin is light or dark; the results will be about the same. The bigger issue is to find someone who has expertise in SmartLipo.

David Goldberg, MD