How Do I Find the Best Breast Augmentation Doctor?

its really hard to find information about the breast augmentation doctors, who to go to, how to make the decision about one doctor over another. 

Best Breast Augmentation Doctor Board Certified and Good Personal Fit

+4

Thank you for your question. There are many many excellent Board Certified Plastic Surgeons available who can do an excellent Breast Augmentation on you.

Of course choose a surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Read reviews on Realself and consult friends who have had Breast Augmentation.

However it is most important that you feel comfortable emotionally with your doctor. Consult more than one Plastic Surgeon and pay attention to your feelings and gut instincts.

Do you feel comfortable with the doctor and staff? Do you feel a sense of trust with the doctor. Is he/she concerned about you and treats you warmly and seriously listens to your concerns?

It is crucial that you have a good doctor-patient bond when undergoing Breast Augmentation or any surgery. You will have anxiety pre and post op. Having a doctor you are comfortable with will help you greatly throughout the process.

As in all other searches for the best surgeon, make sure...

+3

As in all other searches for the best surgeon, make sure yours is an American Board of Plastic Surgery certified surgeon. Beyond that, look at many photos of that surgeon's patients. Realize that different doctors have different opinions about what looks best and you want to be sure the "look" you get is what you want. This depends on what your own breasts offer as a starting point as well as the style and profile of the implant chosen for you.

Try to be as specific as possible about what you want from the surgery especially in terms of upper pole fullness and make sure the surgeon seems to be hearing you well.

Also be a good listener. If the doctor explains to you why for some anatomical reason that it might not be possible to do just what you want, ask for the explanation and don't just go to the next doctor who tells you you can have whatever you want.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Selecting a Plastic Surgeon to Perform Breast Augmentation Surgery

+2
Before meeting a surgery or scheduling a consultation check the surgeon's website to learn about their training and philosophy. Both training and philosophy can significantly different from one plastic surgeon to another.
I urge all propective patients to take time, do a lot of research and view many many before and after photographs before selcting a plastic surgeon to perform your breast augmentation. Taking some time to speak to several former patients who have had the same surgery you are considering can also be helpful.
Check on your surgeon's hospital privileges
A hospital has access to information and records that the general public does not. Hospitals also have tremendous exposure to liability for cosmetic surgery procedures performed within them. They therefore will only grant surgical privileges to physicians that can demonstrate appropriate training and experience.
Although many aesthetic cosmetic surgery procedures are not performed in hospital operating rooms, the fact that a hospital has granted a surgeon privileges for a given procedure ensures that the surgeon has met an accepted standard of competence. It also means that your surgeon will be able to take care of you at a hospital should any complications from cosmetic surgery arise.
If you are planning to have cosmetic surgery performed, you should do your due diligence to determine if your surgeon has the appropriate credentials. This issue can be settled by the following simple question: Does my surgeon have hospital privileges to perform my cosmetic surgery?
Take your time reviewing your surgeon's training and experience. Always go to the website of your state medical board to check on any public record your surgeon may have. During the consultation process you should ask many questions including how often they perform the particular procedure of interest to you. patients also have the right to ask about previous complications and lawsuits.
Aesthetic Vision
If you are satisfied that your surgeon has the appropriate training, experience and credentials, then the next step is to determine if you and your cosmetic surgeon are ‘on the same page’ aesthetically. As you are about to undertake a permanent alteration to your outward appearance, you should be comfortable with your cosmetic surgeon personally, feel like you communicate easily, and feel like you have the same vision for the aesthetic improvement ahead.
Adequate communication is invaluable, and you should be able to communicate clearly and easily not only with your doctor, but also with your doctor’s staff. Over the course of preparing for and recovering from aesthetic surgery, your doctor’s staff will have an important and active role. You must be absolutely certain that your cosmetic surgeon’s aesthetic sensibility matches your aesthetic goals.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

When choosing a plastic surgeon, do your homework

+2

Choosing the right plastic surgeon for your breast augmentation procedure will take some work on your part. There are many types of surgeons performing breast augmentation these days.

A useful place to start is to check if your plastic surgeon is certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery (abps.org), a member of The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery.org), and The American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (surgery.org). Addtionally, you can check what Board your surgeon is certified by at ABMS.org and you can check to see if one has a valid license at your state medical board's website.

Additionally, I would search the internet and evaluate different surgeon's websites and their credentials. Look at their before and after photos. Have a consultation to see if you feel comfortable with that surgeon. Talk to previous patients. Etc.

Sanjay Grover, MD

Finding the best doc for you.

+1

First, choose only a board certified plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.  Next, schedule a consult to see if you enjoy visiting with the doc and their staff.  Review befor after photos to make sure you like the surgeon's work.  Finally, go with your gut feeling.  To find a PS in your area, start with the doctor finder tool on the website for the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. I've left the link for your reference below.  Best of luck.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Best Surgeon Selection for Breast Augmentation in Southern California and the USA

+1

How to Pick the Best Plastic Surgeon for Breast Augmentation
Follow the below steps:

• Verify Board Certification by American Board of Plastic Surgery (do this online)
• Member of American Society of Plastic Surgery (requirements beyond Board Certification)
• Member of American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (indicates extensive experience in aesthetic surgery - see below link)
• Look at online review sites - like RealSelf, Health Grades,RateMDs, Google, etc
• Look at Before and After photos
• What is my instinct or "gut reaction" as to who I relate to better, answers my questions more fully and who I basically trust the most.
• Finally ask yourself - if I was to have a complication, who would be the best to take care of me.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

The best breast augmentation surgeon

+1

There is no such thing as the best breast augmentation surgeon. You'll need to research ABPS website then look at your surgeon's photos, evaluate his place, his look, his staff, the paperwork. Evaluate everythign. Asking his patiens, as others have recommended, will make you feel better but it's going to be someone enthusiastic, and if it's not .. run for the hills!

Best Wishes.

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Atlanta- Choosing Best Plastic Surgeon for Breast Augmentation

+1

To start your search make sure to choose a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon,a state licensed facility and Anesthesiologist (MD). Make sure during your initial visit that the doctor shows alot of before and after photos of patients he has performed breast augmentations on. Ask to speak to patients that have had the procedure by the doctor. See if any staff members have trusted the physician to perform the procedure on them. Make sure to choose a Plastic Surgeon that you feel you will have good communication with.

Finding the best breast augmentation doctor

+1

This is always a dilemma. How do you know? Start with Board Certification by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. This is an absolute minimum requirement and you would be surprised how many people are not board certified by ABPS. It must be the American Board of Plastic Surgery, there is no substitute or equivalent Board.

Next, within that group, look for surgeons who are members of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery; these surgeons generally have an interest in aesthetic surgery. This is not an absolute but it will help you narrow the search. Next, look for surgeons who seem to emphasize breast surgery in their literature, on their website, who are fellowship trained in Breast Surgery, who perform revisional breast surgery, etc. This will demonstrate that they have an interest and expertise in this area. Next, I would ask as many people as possible for recommendations. This is not a guarantee of excellence but will give you some names.

Remember that other doctors and friends may not be familiar with the quality of the doctors work. This you have to judge for yourself. Go to at least 2 consultations. Get a "feel" for the doctor and his/her staff. Do you feel rushed or are they very helpful and patient? Are you pressured? Does it seem like they have your best interest at heart or are they salesmen? Who else is in the office waiting room? A bunch of young girls or established women? Is it run like a clinic with you having a 5 minute consultation with the doctor? Getting a good vibe is important.

You are looking for a high quality, respectable, ethical, talented surgeon who puts your interests first, not a smarmy salesman who is cool. Finally, look at many pictures of the surgeon's work-this will give you an idea of their aesthetic sense. Look for patients with a body type similiar to yours. Specifically ask to see pics of patients with results that are less than perfect. This will give you an idea of the "average" result. If all the results look perfect, you are not seeing a full range of possible results and, in my opinion, this is deceptive.

Finally, take your time. Get as much information as you need to feel comfortable making your choice. Trust your intuition!

Hope this helps.

Tracy Pfeifer, MD

How to find a good breast augmentation surgeon

+1

First, ignore marketing hype and focus on training. A good breast surgeon is Board Certified in Plastic Surgery, has at least 5 years of experience, and spends a good deal of his/her time actually doing breast surgery.

Ask to see results. Ask to speak with patients. And, above all, ignore pricing. The cheapest surgeon is rarely ever the better surgeon and it costs substantially more to fix a bad result than it is to get it right the first time.

For more information on board certification, visit the ASPS website.

Gregory A. Buford, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon