What is the Best Professional Teeth Whitening?

For a long time my teeth have bothered me. Too yellowed and stained to even smile much.  Before i just pick up some random teeth whitener, can you tell me what options there are and the best ones to whiten my teeth?

Best professional teeth whitening?

+3

The BEST whitening is one that has been thoughtfully matched to your discoloration, the current comfort of your teeth now, and your personality style. 

For many people, the best result is from Deep Bleaching or Deep Whitening. It is a combination method of some whitening in the office and a short period of whitening at home. 

A significant percentage of people can get great results at home using professionally made home whitening trays. As a cosmetic dentist in Denver for over twenty years, not all the trays are the same. The other major consideration with home whitening depends a lot upon YOUR personality. To get really nice results at home, means using your trays for a concentrated number of days consistently. I have found that not everyone has the temperament to do this consistently. If that's you, don't waste your time and money as you will likely only get fair results at best. 

Denver Cosmetic Dentist

There are many excellent professional teeth whitening systems

+2

The good news is - "All the teeth whitening systems work well." The bad news is- "None of them work well on everyone. People with yellow or brown teeth whiten easily. Those with grey or stripped teeth usually do not whiten well and require a cosmetic service like Porcelain Veneers or Bonding. Trays take longer, cost less, and one can control the amount of whitening better. Power bleaching in the office (Zoom, Britesmile) are very quick, cost more, and may whiten more than some people want. 

Mickey Bernstein, DDS
Memphis Cosmetic Dentist

The only difference in the hundreds of...

+2

The only difference in the hundreds of dentist-prescribed whitening systems out there is the concentration of the gel (oxygenating agent) and the way it is applied to your teeth.

There are two main ways of carrying out tooth whitening:

1. Tray based whitening. The gel is placed in a custom made night-guard which is worn for a set period for 10-14 days. The period you wear the trays depends on the type and concentration of peroxide gel.
  2. In-surgery whitening, also known as laser or power bleaching. Here, more concentrated gels are applied directly to the teeth and accelerated with heat or light (laser/power). We still make custom-made trays for the patient to use afterwards to maximise the whitening and for maintenance.

Sensitivity to laser/power bleaching is usually only for the rest of that day. We suggest avoiding very hot or cold foods. Take whatever medication you would take for a headache and if you have custom-made trays place some sensitive toothpaste in the trays and wear for 10 minutes.

James Goolnik, BDS, MSc
London Cosmetic Dentist

Your dentist has the ability to prove two different...

+2

Your dentist has the ability to prove two different types of whitening solutions:

The first is done with thin plastic trays that are custom fit to the patient’s teeth. The plastic trays are filled with the bleaching solution and the patient will wear these for 1 to 8 hours once or twice a day for one to two weeks.

The second option is where the teeth are bleached in the office. The bleaching process takes about an hour. Typically it is one visit, although some offices will recommend two visits. This option is commonly associated with the use of a light source to “activate” the bleaching solution.

• Be aware that the research on the light source is divided as to whether or not it is effective. Your dentists may choose not to use the light source. He/she is not doing anything wrong. They just subscribe to a different philosophy.

Gary M. Radz, DDS
Denver Cosmetic Dentist

Teeth whitening

+1
The best option is always to get it assessed by the dental professional for exact cause of discolouration and best solution. Home whitening has traditionally proved to be the best of all.

Natwarlal Tibrewal, BDS
Leeds Cosmetic Dentist

Best Professional Teeth Whitening System?

+1

Your dentist has numerous choices in bleaching systems to offer his patients.  Nowadays you can expect any of the professional bleaching systems that your dentist recommends and dispenses to work.  They seem to all whiten teeth to one degree or another.  However, dental bleaching does not whiten everyone's teeth the same.  Just like certain people's skin tans better than others, it is the same with teeth whitening.  Some will get an incredible teeth whitening result very fast, and others may undergo numerous bleaching sessions and only get a minimal result.

The good news for you is yellow teeth tend to bleach better than gray or brown teeth.

Regarding a particular brand, Discus, Phillips, Ultradent have been around a long time and over the years have captured much favor among dentists.   Some have a carbamide peroxide base and others a hydrogen peroxide base.  But bottom line, they all work, but as previously stated, it depends more upon the makeup of your particular teeth than the type of bleaching agent used.  Your dentist can evaluate your teeth and prescribe what he/she thinks will work best in your care.

Norman Huefner, DDS
Laguna Niguel Cosmetic Dentist

In office whitening is best for yellow & stained teeth

+1

If your teeth are significantly stained and yellow, in-office whitening supervised by your dentist is your best bet. I find the AcquaBrite whitening system to be the most effective, even for stubbornly stained teeth (like tetracycline-stained grey/brown teeth), with little to no sensitivity.  Using a combination of in-office whitening gel along with at home bleaching, we've gotten awesome results with our patients. 

Gerilyn Alfe, DMD
Chicago Cosmetic Dentist

The Best Professional Whitening Product

+1

If you have stained and yellow teeth,  the best Professional Whitening Product is KOR Whitening.  It works and you will be thrilled with the results.  Check out their web site!!!

Wendy S. Spektor, DDS
Bellevue Cosmetic Dentist

Custom trays are still the best!

+1

In my professional opinion, I think whitening with a high strength gel, using custom trays is the best.  It is cost effective, safe, and gets great results for a healthy, bright smile.  Your dentist would make the trays by taking a custom mold of your teeth.  Patients who are good candidates for this procedure, in my office, are sent home with their trays, a 35% Opalescence whitening kit, and detailed instructions.  Whitening is achieved by wearing the gel in the trays for 30 minutes per day.  The average patient usually completes the whitening in 7-10 days.

Kimberly Johnson Genc, DDS
Newport Beach Cosmetic Dentist

I suggest Zoom teeth whitening

+1

All bleaching systems (take home trays or Zoom whitening) produce the same result they just take different amounts of time. The final color of your teeth can fade slightly over time. For that reason I usually suggest zoom first followed by take home trays to touch up after cleanings. Watch my videos for more information

Benjamin S. Fiss, DDS
Chicago Cosmetic Dentist