How Can I Tighten Loose Skin After Weight Loss?

I've lost a lot of weight. How can I get rid of the excess loose skin on my face and the sagging skin on my body?

Loose skin on Face and Body

+2

The way to address loose skin on the face and/or body is to excise it (cut it off) and therefore a facelift/ necklift and/or a tummy tuck surgery may be what you are looking for.  Visit with a board certified plastic surgeon for an examination and discussion regarding the best procedure for your situation.

Loose or excess skin is often caused by weight loss. In...

+2

Loose or excess skin is often caused by weight loss. In general, the treatment for loose skin requires the excision of the loose skin. Frequently, these type of procedures are known as “lifts.”

Gary M. Brownstein, MD
Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon

Exilis for skin tightening

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss!  Depending on how much excess skin you have, there are non-surgical options available to tigten loose skin.  The Exilis uses radiofrequency to tighten loose skin on the face and body without needles and has minimal side effects with no downtime.  The Exilis can target the superficial layers of the skin, resulting in skin tightening and new collagen formation, improving the overall apearance, tone, and texture of the skin.  The procedure is easily performed in the office with minimal discomfort.  Most patients require a series of six treatments every one to two weeks for maximal results.  With continued care to diet and exercise, patients are able to maintain results for long periods of time.  If you are hoping to avoid surgery and invasive procedures, the Exilis could be a good option for you!

Aurora Badia, DO
Fort Myers Dermatologist

Tightening Loose Skin after a Large Weight Loss

+1

As we gain weight our skin stretches just like a spring does when pulled from both sides. At a certain point, the elasticity (the ability of skin to spring back), is damaged. If the weight gain continues, the stretching / pulling continues and finally all elasticity is gone. At this point, depending on the speed of weight gain, the the skin may start showing cracks ("Stretch Marks") - these are permanent through and through scar filled cracks in the skin which can never be erased.

When all the weight is lost, the damaged skin does not spring back and just hangs there.

The BEST way to tighten such loose skin is to remove as much of it surgically (Tummy Tuck, Buttock Lift, Lower Body Lift, Breast Lift and Face and Neck Lift).

If a non surgical tightening is opted for, the success of a non-surgical method will depend how much of the skin is loose, where on the body it is located, how thick it is etc.

Nice responses can be seen with IPL (intense pulse light) devices. The most promising appears to be Sciton's BBL with the SkinTyte feature. Several painless sessions are required and in many people the results are quite pleasing. Look it up on You Tube.

Dr. P. Aldea

Dermolipectomy after weight loss

+1

Generally the only way to manage loose skin is via a dermolipectomy procedure.

There are alternatives. Titan, Thermage, Velasmooth, Accent, etc. However, I generally see the patients who have tried these and have been dissatisfied. I rarely see someone who has undergone these treatment modlaities and achieve satsifactory results. It doesn't mean that it doesn't work but on a scale of 1-10, these techniques may accomplish a 2-3 when you need an 8-9.

Furthermore, it has been my experience that even at the end of a tuck/lift/tighthening procedure on a weight loss patient, I have been surprised by the laxity which can recur several months later and have advised patients that they may need a second tightening procedure for the best result.

The only way to tighten loose facial skin after weight...

+1

The only way to tighten loose facial skin after weight loss is to perform a face/neck lift.

After significant weight loss, the skin becomes lax and loose in the jowls, face, and neck. At this point the laxity is significant enough for a comprehensive face/neck lift to be performed. The procedure will tighten excess sagging skin, muscle structure, and remove any additional fat deposits in the neck that may be diet-resistant fat.