How to prevent getting wrinkles?

I am open to cosmetic treatments yet i want to first try like heck to prevent wrinkles in the first place

You can't avoid wrinkles

+7

And you don't want to. A face without expression lines looks odd.

To avoid excessive aging do your best to love a balanced life, try to manage stress well, get enough rest, have a good diet, and always use sunblock.

A plastic surgery medical spa will have medical grade skin care products, lasers that can enhance youthful skin, Botox, dermal fillers and other non invasive or minimally invasive procedures that can keep one looking young and naturally beautiful.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Reduce sun exposure. If you are in the sun, renew...

+6
  • Reduce sun exposure.  If you are in the sun, renew sunblock every three hours, or after swimming.
  • Also stop smoking, it robs the skin of nutrition and ages the skin prematurely.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Facial exercises should never be done to your skin. The...

+6

Facial exercises should never be done to your skin. The muscles of the face are the only muscles in the body that are attached to the skin, so that when you "exercise" your facial muscles, you are actually dragging the skin around, causing further wrinkling and stretching.

If you want to look young, keep your face still and don't show any emotion -- but this would make life pretty dull!

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen, both as a moisturizing...

+5

Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen, both as a moisturizing cream with antioxidants and in a mineral makeup base.

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

3 tips to avoid wrinkles and aging skin

+5

I suggest that my patients take a proactive approach to the appearance of their skin from an early age. We should all be exfoliating and moisturizing our skin on a daily basis.

1) I recommend microdermabrasion treatment, or an Alpha Hydroxy acid (such as glycolic or lactic acid) to remove dead layers of the skin. Both are available over the counter. Interestingly men exfoliate their facial skin each day when they shave, so they have this advantage.

2) Moisturizing the skin from youth will help prevent wrinkles from forming prematurely. The use of Retin-A is also crucial as it helps the body maintain its collagen layers as we age, long before the visible signs of aging set in. In fact, it is the only such treatment that can do so.

3) Botox is also one of the best preventative treatments for aging. When we flex the muscles of the face the skin folds. Over time this will etch the skin surface, causing wrinkles. I have many patients who start preventative Botox treatments in their twenties.

Andrew Jacono, MD
Great Neck Facial Plastic Surgeon

Intentional tanning whether at the beach or in a tanning...

+4

Intentional tanning whether at the beach or in a tanning booth will expedite the aging of your skin causing it to sag and wrinkle sooner than it would otherwise and create an uneven complexion like freckling (actinic damage). Skin cancer risk also increases in a dose dependent fashion meaning the more UV exposure, the greater your lifetime risk of getting skin cancers.

Smoking is also a great way to prematurely age your skin. Yo-yo dieting should also be avoided. Both of these behaviors decrease elasticity and promote skin to sag prematurely.

John Westine, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox treatment cannot only have a tremendous impact on...

+1

Botox treatment cannot only have a tremendous impact on today’s wrinkles, but it can also help prevent tomorrow’s wrinkles.

Botox works by relaxing the facial muscles that produce wrinkles. This can work to smooth lines today and to prevent lines from becoming permanently imprinted in the skin.

Strivectin, a cream that the manufacturer claims works as well as Botox in reducing wrinkles, is the most hyped up skincare product that I advise patients to avoid.

Michael McCracken, MD
Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon

Collagen stimulating intense pulse sources, collagen...

+1

Collagen stimulating intense pulse sources, collagen stimulating lasers, and skin tightening radiofrequency technologies prevent wrinkling and aging skin laxity.

Volumetric fillers and Botox restore volume and diminish neuromuscular activity, diminishing the need for surgical procedures.

Neil Sadick, MD

There are many ways to prevent wrinkles

+1

Preventing wrinkles always involves the use of sunscreen, every day, rain or shine.  The UVA rays are most damaging to collagen, so make sure the sunscreen is broad spectrum and protects against these rays.  Also avoid tanning salons as the UVA radiation from these lights are very aging over time.  You may also want to use a collagen stimulating cream with retinol, growth factors or pentapeptides for firm healthy skin. Lastly, Botox or Dysport injections are helpful to prevent certain movements from creating the lines in the forehead and around the eyes in the first place.

Kimberly Butterwick, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon