How Can I Prevent Melasma?

Is there any way to prevent melasma? My mom had melasma when she was pregnant and I really don't want to get it. It never went away completely for her.

Treatment for Melasma is based on the causative factors: Causes of melasma and treatment

+1

Melasma is a skin pigmentation condition that arises from:

• Genetics
  • Hormonal sensitivity of the melanocytes
  • Sun Exposure
  • Chronic or Acute inflammation

Prevention and Maintenance of melasma is key. In our Santa Monica office, we see an extensive amount of melasma in patients of all ethnicities, from the lightest native skin tone to the darkest. No one is immune from the affects of melasma.

There is no cure for melasma. However, there are effective treatments to reduce the severity of the condition. The initial step is the following:

• Active use of sunscreen
  • Reduction in hormonal incipient causes
  • Use of prescription topical medications

In recalcitrant or stubborn melasma, deeper treatments may have to be used, including:

• laser
  • chemical peels
  • aggressive melasma protocols

Our office utilizes a very aggressive melasma protocol that was developed by Dr. Raffy Karamanoukian that uses a combination of modalities to reduce and maintain a healthy skin glow.

I advise my patients to begin a skin regimen with Melaquin AM and Melaquin PM skin brightening creams as they do not cause the associated redness and peeling of other creams.