How Do I Stop Crows Feet from Appearing Around my Eyes?

Eye wrinkles (crows feet to be exact) are showing up and i want tips for stopping more crinkling!

Preventing Crow's Feet

+2

Those little lines that appear just lateral to your eyes, crow's feet, appear as we age. There is a genetic component, but there are things you can do to prevent or slow the appearance and extent.

First, things that we all should do, don't smoke, wear a good sunscreen and use a moisturizer.

Botox can also have a preventative effect but is likely just as effective when used when you first start to notice the appearance of those wrinkles.

Crows feet - Why and What to do

+1

First I would address the reason for crows-feet wrinkles. These type of wrinkles are often seen in patients that squint so first of all I would make sure that if you need visual correction then use glasses or contacts (if not sure, have your vision tested) and use sunglasses on bright days.  Do not smoke, use sunscreens and moisturizers.    Now for treatment options: Botox by a qualified injector is probably your best option. For well established lines TCA peel, or fractional laser often helps and in extreme cases surgical procedures to reduce these also are helpful.  A qualified board certified aesthetic surgeon or dermatologist  will help you find the right treatment for you

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Crow's feet and Botox

+1

Botox can be used to prevent wrinkles from forming or from worsening.  Thin fillers can be used to soften any wrinkles that do not smooth out with Botox.  Sun protection is important to prevent damage and thinning of the skin.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

LIve Video Face lift Crowsfeet and discussion: Botox, Fat injections, Facelifting for Crows feet

+1

There are many options for crows feet. The most common way is to use botox. This lasts 3-4 months sometimes longer depending on the person. Fat injections can be more of a long term solution. Wrinkles occur because the distance between your skin and facial muscles become less and the muscles start to exert more tension on the skin due to the closer proximity. Fat injections increases this distance. There is a way through face lifting that works and you can see a video below regarding it.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Be healthy and a little bit of botox

+1

I agree with previous answers:

1. Botox- prevents use of orbicularis oculi muscle. need about 3 treatment per year.
  2. Sunscreen daily- best to use a moisturizer which has both UVA and UVB in it on a daily basis
  3. Smoking- don't start
  4. Be healthy- Sleep well, eat well, work out

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Crow's Feet are dynamic wrinkles occuring as a result of Orbicularis Oculi Muscle Overactivity

+1

The orbicularis oculi muscle helps us squint and close our eyes. When we use these muscles extensively when we squint, we develop crow's feet, or 'lateral canthal rhytids.' This may occur if your vision is poor requiring you to squint, if you live in colder climates wherein the frost, rain, or snow makes you squint more outside, or from the sun, such as when you sunbathe.

In either case, we have great solutions for the wrinkles, including:

• botox to relax the muscles.
  • creams to improve overall skin health.

Discuss these with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

4 things you can easily do to prevent crow's feet

+1

There are 4 easy steps you can do to prevent bad crow's feet:

1. Botox every 4 months
  2. Sunglasses and sunscreen
  3. Don't smoke, as it makes you squint
  4. Moisturize

Good luck!

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

The best prevention is with the use of Botox

+1

Botox is one of the best ways to prevent the formation of permanent crow's feet or even dynamic wrinkles that occur with contraction of the muscles with squinting or smiling.   Appropriate skin care and sunscreen are also of importance. 

Sanjay Grover, MD

Always wear sun protection daily - whether you are...

+1
  • Always wear sun protection daily - whether you are tanning or just spending time outside you should be protecting your skin.
  • Refraining from smoking will also improve the skin tone in the area.
  • By using Botox 2-3 times a year, you will smooth your crow's feet area and prevent your body from making the wrinkles deeper.

Gregory A. Wiener, MD, FACS