How Can I Prevent Age Spots?

My face has brown spots and dark spots -- I guess there age spots. i would like to stop getting these spots since they can't be easiy concealed

First and foremost, use a broad spectrum UVA/UVB - SPF...

+4

First and foremost, use a broad spectrum UVA/UVB - SPF 30 sunblock daily on your face. I also recommend using a good mineral make-up concealer and foundation to enhance, hide discolorations and add protection to the skin.

It is a good idea to use an at-home exfoliation kit. This can be a microdermabrasion, enzyme peel or chemical peel; use only one and no more than twice weekly.

It is also advisable to use products that contain ingredients such as retinol, hydroquinone and other lighteners such as vitamin C and kojic acid to lighten and brighten skin. Finally, in addition to using sunblock, topical antioxidants can be quite helpful.

Great Neck Dermatologist

Preventing Age Spots - The Key is Starting Early

+2

There are no shortcuts here in terms of prevention.

The key is sunscreen.  You should apply at least an sunscreen that is SPF 30 and the earlier you start the better resistance you'll have to those brown spots that can make hands look old.

Steven H. Williams, MD

1. Daily application of a UVB/UVA sun blocker 2. Avoid...

+2

1.  Daily application of a UVB/UVA sun blocker

2.  Avoid the midday sun

3. Wear a wide brimmed hat

Neil Sadick, MD

Yes, SPF, vitamin A , and bleaching creams.

+1
Sunscreen is the absolute foundation of treatment and prevention- my recommendation? La Roche Posay 50+ - the best sunscreen is THE ONE that you are going to use 2-3 times a day. The formulation must be good, non greasy, with a high SPF factor. Where to from there? Dermatologists can add the following-

1. Vitamin A creams or peels. My favourite peel is the VITA peel 1-2% tretinoin applied to whole face after exfoliation, then washed off 4-6 hours later. It really does peel for a day or two. This is how I personally maintain my skin on a monthly basis. 

2. Glycolic or lactic acid peels- my preference is Glycolic. Start at 20, go to 70 (under supervision) 

3. TCA peels - be really careful not to multi coat, start with 8% every second week. 

4. Add HQ 6% and Lytera 

If all else fails, see a laser dermatologist- one treatment should fix all your problems. 

Cheers

Dr Davin Lim
Laser and Aesthetic Dermatologist
Brisbane, AUSTRALIA. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Age Spot Treatment

+1

You can start with wearing SPF 30 or higher sunscreen daily on your face and other areas, such as your hands, constantly exposed to sun. Using sunscreen, limiting sun exposure and avoiding tanning beds are three of the best options. Years of exposure to the sun’s UV light, as well as tanning beds, contribute to age spots. However, aging and genetics also play a role in formation. Age spots are more common on those with fair skin, though they also appear on darker skin.

Age spots are usually harmless but may be lightened with skin-bleaching treatments or removed. If you have numerous age spots that don’t improve with topical treatments, look into laser treatment options with your dermatologist. Laser treatments effectively eliminate age spots in a short time frame. They work two-fold by breaking up melanin and destroying melanocytes. Two types of lasers accomplish this with light heat, Fraxel and Spectra.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Preventing Age Spots

+1

The most important way to prevent age spots or sun spots is to stay away from the sun! Wearing a high SPF and staying out of the sun, especially from 11 to 2 when the sun is at its strongest.  I always recommend to my patients to wear a hat with a large brim and always seek out the shade when possible.  Although you can treat sun spots with lasers and creams, prevention is always the most important thing you can do.  Sun spots mean that you were exposed to a certain degree of sun which means that there was UV damage to the skin. This UV damage also puts you at an increased risk for skin cancer.  You can also use serums such as Vitamin C and other serums to even out the skin tone and color.

Michele S. Green, MD

Brown spots from sun and age

+1

Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen!  See a board certified dermatologist, because there are many tools we use to improve the appearance of brown spots.  Lightening creams, chemical peels, intense pulsed light, and fractionated lasers are all treatment options.

Donna Bilu Martin, MD
Aventura Dermatologist

Aviod Age Spots with 3 Simple Steps

+1

To avoid getting age spots that occur due to sun exposure simply use a UVB/UVA sunscreen DAILY- apply after moisturizer as part of your morning routine, avoid direct sun exposure as much as possible- especially during this midday, and shield your face when out during the day for long periods of time with a hat.  If you are already noticing age spots and discoloration, treating with an IPL is a quick easy way to erase the spots and using hydroquinone daily keeps them at bay.  Best of luck, Dr. Clevens

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Prevent age spots with sunblock

+1

The #1 way to prevent age spots is to practice sun protection by using a spf 30 or higher UVA and UVB sunblock when exposed to sunshine and minimizing sun exposure, in general.

Robert Strimling, MD

How to Prevent Age Spots

+1

I guess the short, cute answer to "How Do I Prevent Age Spots" is "don't age." But the truth of the matter is that age spots don't have that much to do with aging. What most people refer to as "age spots" are generally caused by years of sun exposure. So to prevent age spots you have to prevent or minimize sun or ultraviolet exposure.

Some simple recommendations:

1. Used a sunscreen that screens out UVA and UVB (i.e. broad spectrum) with an SPF of at least 30, and it would help if it was waterproof so that its not as easily washed, wiped or sweated off.

2. Apply the sunscreen every day since clouds only filter out about 20% of the ultraviolet rays.

3. Reapply the sunscreen every two-three hours.

4. Wear a hat (preferably wide-brim) whenever you can

5. Use sunprotective clothing for other areas of your body. Cotton T shirts don't provide much UV protection. The SPF is only about 6, and the SPF of a wet cotton T shirt is about 3. If you can hold the fabric up the light and see light through it, there can't be very good UV protection.

6. Try to do more of your outdoor activities eary or late in the day (i.e. when UV rays are less intense)

7. Stay away from tanning salons. Ultaviolet light, whether natural (i.e. sun) or artificial (i.e. tanning salons) leads to "age spots", wrinkles and skin cancers.

8. See your dermatologist every year to make sure that the age spots are benign, and none of them need further evaluation or treatment.

Andrew Kaufman, MD