How Can I Minimize Bruising from a Lifestyle Lift?

Avoiding bruising after facial cosmetic surgery

+2

Choosing the best surgeon will reduce the amount of bruising you experience after your mini-facelift such as the LifeStyle lift, LiteLift, Quick lift and others.

In addition to your choice of surgeon and procedure, you can reduce bruising and improve recovery by always keeping your head elevated during the first 3-5 days or more.

Avoid:

• NSAID's like Ibuprofen, Naproxyn and Aspirin (and Aspirin-containing medications, before and after surgery)
  • Any blood-thinning medications
  • Fish oils and other Omega 3 fats
  • Many Herbal supplements
  • Vitamin  E supplements
  • Blood thinners
  • Heavy lifting and exertion

What may reduce bruising:

• Ice packs (never apply ice directly to the skin)
  • Very light compression

Avoiding bruising after a facelift

+2

The main variables you can control are avoiding aspirin, NSAID (eg motrin), fish oils, alcohol, flax seed and any other herbal medicines that impair blood clotting for at least 2 weeks. Also, keep blood pressure low.  Post operatively, avoid straining or heavy lifting. These are the variables you can control.  The surgeon's technique also has a lot to do with your recovery. 

Amir M. Karam, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bruising from a Lifestyle lift

+2

The best way to avoid bruising from a lifestyle lift is to not have one done.( only kidding). It is impossible to avoid some bruising from any type of facelift. To minimize it, I would avoid all blood thinning type medications.

Bruising can be reduced following a standard or mini-facelift

+2

Bruising can be limited through proper care before, during, and after surgery.
Before surgery, products that thin the blood should be avoided. The most obvious of these are aspirin and most of the anti-inflammatory agents such as ibuprofen. Susprisingly many other foods, additives, herbs, some vitamins can increase risks as well. You should be able to obtain an entensive list from your surgeon or through an internet search. Sadly, alchohol can also increase bruising and should be avoided as well. On a positive note, there seems to be some benefit to taking an herbal supplement, arnica before and after surgery

During surgery bruising can be limited by injecting medications that constrict the blood vessels, cauterizing bleeding points, keeping blood pressure at a normal level, and sometimes placing drains to remove blood that may accumulate following the procedure. These are generally things that are managed by your surgeon.

After surgery the same products should be avoided for a period of time. In addition keeping the head elevated is of value and any acitivity that elevates the blood pressure should be avoided.

I hope this will help you to a quick and successful recovery after your facelift. Good luck and best wishes to you.

Wayne I. Yamahata, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Minimizing bruising after face lift

+2
  • Avoid ASA and motrin like products for 2 weeks preoperatively.
  • Avoid herbal supplements for 2 weeks preoperatively.
  • Avoid alcohol for 1 week preoperatively.
  • Contemplate preoperative and postoperative Arnica montana
  • Control your blood pressure.
  • Avoid straining postoperatively.
  • Rest postoperativley.
  • Attempt adequate pain relief postoperatively.
  • Minimize stress and anxiety postoperatively.
  • Ice compresses to face.
  • Sleep with head of bed elevated but do not overly flex neck (head of bed up with no pillow)
  • Avoid heavy lifting.

Take care of yourself after surgery to reduce your bruising after Lifestyle Lift surgery.

+1

Thanks for your question.

There are a number of things that can be done by both you and your surgeon to reduce bruising after Lifestyle Lift.  Your surgeon must make sure you are a good candidate for surgery.  This is usually determined by taking your medical history, evaluating your medication profile, and checking your labs.  Good blood pressure control, cessation of aspirin/ibuprofen/various herbals, and normal blood clotting parameters are essential for preventing excess bleeding during surgery.  I typically also don't allow any caffeine on the day of surgery to decrease heart rate and, therefore, slow down any normal bleeding.

You can make sure that you are honest and upfront with your surgeon about your medical history, etc.  I am a believer in the use of vitamin C, vitamin K, arnica, and bromelain for rapid recovery.  I also am a believer in aggressive post-operative icing to reduce swelling and bruising.  I also use passive drains on all my Lifestyle Lifts and have noticed marked reduction in swelling by the time I remove sutures at day 7 after surgery.

These are my thoughts.  I hope they were helpful.

Good luck,

Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Before a Lifestyle lift look closely at this Blog

+1

I recently gave a talk to about 300 women regarding the various types of franchised lifts and the problems with them. That really isnt why you you quiried us.  Others will give you advise on bruise optimization. I feel obligated to tell you to do additional homework on your surgeon, Many performing this lift are capable, many surgeons doing this also are the bottom feeders in their respective communities. Remember this, by perusing this blog alone you can see a 46% satisfaction rate with this type of procedure. Are you willing to flip a coin or play Russian Roulette with your face. Good Luck

Charles Virden, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Reducing facelift bruising

+1
Do not take aspirin or other anti-inflammatories, herbal preparations which have anti-clotting effects, alcohol or smoke for at least two weeks before and after surgery. Try to avoid stress and strain. I agree with Dr. Wallach's assessment of the LifeStyle Lift. Postop ice or cold packs are very useful in reducing swelling as well.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Reduce Bruising after Mini Lift

+1

Avoid medications or vitamins that are blood thiners such as asprin, fish oil etc. Also try using Arnica, the gel and tablets work great for bruising. Keep yourself hydrated before hand and if you smoke that affects your healing process a lot!  

Michael A. Fiorillo, MD

Compression

+1

1) avoid Asa and blood thinners 2) ice might help a little 3) compression I find brings down the bruising the most.

Nasimul Huq, MD
Niagara Falls Plastic Surgeon