How Can I Keep my Gums Healthy?

i'd like my gums to remain in good health...tips for doing so?

Healthy gums, Healthy heart..

+2

Brushing and flossing as easy as it sounds is key, but it is not enough to keep you healthy. Routine dental visits wher the gums are gently measured every visit are your insurance policy for good oral health. If a gum pocket becomes diseased the measurements get deeper and professional laser gum therapy is a painless way to treat the disease.

Gum disease can lead to heart attack, stroke, diabetes and blood sugar control in diabetics as well as premature birth in pregnant women.

Denver Cosmetic Dentist

Younger people are more prone to cavities, but once you...

+2

Younger people are more prone to cavities, but once you leave your teen years behind, you become more susceptible to gum disease. The first sign of gum disease (gingivitis) is blood on your toothbrush. In order to prevent gingivitis from becoming periodontal disease you should floss regularly, as well as brush correctly.

Irwin Smigel, DDS
Manhattan Cosmetic Dentist

Healthy gums

+1

If your gums are in good shape, keeping them healthy is very easy... Brush 2-3 times a day with a soft bristle tooth brush ( or use Sonicare, my personal favorite electric toothbrush) and most importantly... FLOSS. I recommend Glide. and of course see your dentist every 6 months for a cleaning.. That's it!

Mojdah Akhavan, DDS
San Diego Orthodontist

Maintaining Healthy Gums

+1

If your gums and bone supporting your teeth are already healthy, keeping them that way is simple.  GREAT HOME CARE.  Daily brushing and flossing to remove bacteria and plaque can easily maintain oral health.  If your gums appear swollen, puffy, red or bleed easily when you brush and floss, then they are not healthy.  Gum therapy by your Dentist or Dental Hygienist is necessary to return your gums to a healthy condition followed my meticulous home care.  Regardless, regular visits for dental hygiene is also required to maintain healthy gums.  Dental hygiene programs are tailored to fit the needs of each patient and may include visits with the dental hygienist at three, four or six month intervals.  Adhere to the frequency recommendations of your dentist or hygienist for a lifetime of healthy gums.

Marc Zive, DMD
Springfield Cosmetic Dentist

Evora Pro Biotic mints

+1

All of the suggestions are excellent.  A new product on the market is EvoraPlus.  EvoraPlus probiotic mints naturally support gum and tooth health with three strains of "good" bacteria.  These bacteria are probiotics. These natural resident beneficial bacteria of very healthy mouths set up a “base camp” in the mouth and crowd out the problematic, harmful bacteria.

Tom Hedge, DDS
Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Simple...

+1

If you have healthy gums and you want to keep them that way,  the answer is simple....good home care and regular visits to your dentist for a professional cleaning and check-up.  Preventative maintenance  will keep your mouth at its best.

Kimberly Johnson Genc, DDS
Newport Beach Cosmetic Dentist

Keeping gums healthy

+1

A good and easy oral hygiene regimen along with professional care is the key:

1. Proper brushing minimum twice a day
  2. Proper flossing at least once a dya
  3. Use of special cleaning brushes for hard to reach areas
  4. Electric tooth brushes are great and makes it easy for most people
  5. See a dentist for check up and cleaning at least every 6 months. For some, it may be more appropriate to have a visit every three to four months. This is based on your current oral health and needs.
  6. Proper restorations (fillings and crowns) that does not retain plaque

H. Ryan Kazemi, DMD
Bethesda Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Tips to Prevent Premature Tooth Loss

+1

Maintaining healthy gums is crucial in the prevention of premature tooth loss due to periodontal disease.   It is of utmost importance that you be diligent about your home care and what I mean is don't just brush and floss but do it correctly.  Brush using the Bass Technique: Keep the brush angled towards the gums at a 45 degree angle and move in small circles. When you floss let the floss wrap around the tooth as you move up and down along the tooth. Remember, you want to remove the plaque from the surface of the tooth.  So it's not just up and down but pulling against one tooth and then the other as you move up and down.  

Be sure to keep routine dental examination and cleaning appointments. Have your dentist check your gums for deep pockets so the diagnosis of a potential problem does not go unnoticed.  Also, if you have any dental restorations have them evaluated.  Make sure they are not causing inflammation to your gums.  If a dental restoration is too bulky it may cause your gums to be inflamed which in turn may create bone loss.   

Antonella Milio, DMD
New York Cosmetic Dentist

How to keep gums healthy

+1

The answer is easy , the procedure is easy and you can do it with no help! Brush and floss at least three times a day and always after snacks. You also need to see your dentist at least twice a year to make sure all is okay.

One other thing that you might find beneficial is a Rota-dent one step professionally powered brush with MicroAccess Flossing action. You need to purchase it from your dental office. It is not sold over the counter. I think it really helps with your daily oral hygiene!

Robert Fields, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

The answer is simple, the application more complicated

+1

Honestly brushing, flossing, alcohol-free rinse and routine visits (at least 2 times per year if not more) is usually all you really need to do. It sounds simple (and it really is) but many people... just don't.

If gum disease is already present, then there are other things to do in addition to the above and more frequent visits to the dentist (normally 3-4 times per year) can maintain gum health.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist