How Can I Get Fuller Lips?

lip plumpers sold at the beuaty counters are not making my lips poutier. What is recommended? Injections? Implants?

Use a temporary injectible before considering permanent lip augmentation

+2

I do a large number of permanent lip augmentation using the patient's own tissue (most ofter concurrently with a facelift).  However, for patients who see lip enhancement only, I would recommend that they try a temporary filler first to make sure they like the results.  If so, then these can be repeated or a permanent solution can be undertaken with the knowledge that the patient will definitely like the result.

Lip Plumpers, Lip Augmentation, and Facial Fillers

+2

Most plastic surgeons will agree that the safest and most predictable treatment choice for lip augmentation are the hyaluronic acid facial fillers including juvederm and restylane. These products are safe and have a very low allergic profile.

In many cases, Restylane and Juvederm are used to augment the upper lip elements and the lower lip. Juvederm is extremely safe and is used in my own practice to highlight upper lip anatomic elements and add volume to the upper and lower lip.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Dermal fillers are good to plump lips

+2

If over-the-counter products are not providing you with adequate results, the next step would be a dermal filler such as Juvederm. I would recommend against having any implants or permanent lip fillers (such as silicone) placed, since these can be very difficult to remove if you do not like the results. Good luck with your injections.

David Shafer, MD

Juvederm injections are your best bet

+2

We have found that Juvederm injections are the best treatment for getting beautiful full lips. We like Restylane as well, but it can feel slightly lumpy, and Juvederm is fantastic for the lips. It looks natural and it is soft, so nobody else has to know what you have done. The amount of product varies, but most patients are happy with one syringe, and some want two syringes. As with anything, the person injecting it is the most important factor in your quest for fuller lips.

Stella Desyatnikova, MD

Fuller lips

+1
We usually start out with a hyaluronic acid based filler, (i.e.; juvederm, restylane). It usually gives soft, kissable, natural results. Best to see a few experienced injectors and see what they offer. 

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Lip Augmentation and Fuller lips

+1

Lip augmentation is a procedure that encompasses all age groups and both genders (that’s right, men too!). Juvederm is the most popular option for lip augmentation for 2 reasons: cost and temporary duration.  Many women who have lip augmentation for the first time are afraid of how their lips will look in the long term and prefer the shorter duration so not to look like a ‘duck’ or many other poorly augmented women on TV and magazines.  It’s usually after they become accustomed to this augmentation and have found a plastic surgeon they trust and is consistent will they usually allow their augmentation performed with permanent implant. We use a perma lip implant that feels natural and looks natural. It’s made up of a silastic material that provides a naturally smooth feel; it's a material that has been used as an implant material for decades and is tried and true. The advantage to permanent implants is the lack of maintenance once placed. The disadvantage is the innate fear in many individuals to have a permanent fix. In our practice, both procedures are very popular. If we are augmenting the face during a facelift with fat then we will also augment the lips with fat to provide a 2-3 year improvement unless the patient desires a longer lasting alternative. We specialize in natural procedures which is our niche and lip augmentation is no exception. Lips augmentation should be age-appropriate, natural, and well -defined without appearing large or unbalanced. 

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

You can start out with Juvederm injections...

+1

There are a few procedures you can have to achieve fuller lips.  You can start out with Juvederm injections which provide nice results and last for about 6-8 months.  A more permanent option is Silicone injections which may require a few treatments to get the result you desire.  Implants are not used as often anymore.  Be sure to discuss these options with your surgeon to ensure you are a proper candidate for either of these procedures.

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Make your lips fuller

+1

I am not aware of any cosmetics that actually make the lips fuller. I would suggest a filler procedure with either Juvederm or Restylane. They are safe, fast and effective.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip augmentation

+1

there are a number of approaches to fuller lips....Some fillers which are injected into the lips can give a safe and nice looking result ( juvederm, restalyne, perlaine). Plain fat injections are also done but tend not to last very long (less than 2 months). Implanted materials like softform, gor-tex and all other artificial materials should be aggressively avoided... they almost always lead to problems down the line and need removal.For 15 years I have been doing a proceedure I invented using large dermal-fat transplants from the suprapubic area . This gives natural looking and permanent lip fullness with your own tissue. The drawback to this is a small scar over the suprapubic area and lip swelling for 2 weeks. However for anyone looking for a permanent solution it is excellent... You can see pictures of this at aventuraplasticsurgery.com

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Injectables are the best option for fuller lips.

+1

For years, many techniques have be performed  to achieve fuller lips, but most of them have been only temporary fixes.  Juvederm and Restylane injections are both easy solutions which, for most patients, give a correction which lasts up to a year.  Unlike most of the procedures to enhance the lips, there is minimal recovery time with Juvederm and Restylane,  and if an over-correction were to occur, it can be completely reversed with a hyaluronidase injection.

Roger J. Oldham, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon