How Can I Get Safe Lipodissolve?

is there a safe way to get lipo dissolve treatments?

In the next few years we may have a nonsurgical method of fat removal, but we're not there yet.

+6
It sounds so exciting and it’s being advertised everywhere- an injection that melts fat. These procedures, which are commonly known as injection lipolysis, mesotherapy, or Lipodissolve, are not the safe and effective miracle fix we are all after. A recent statement by the FDA is clear, “In fact, there are no FDA-approved drugs with an approved indication to dissolve fat and FDA cannot assure the safety and efficacy of these types of drugs. Consumers need to know that this is a buyer-beware situation. These are unapproved drugs for unapproved uses and we can't guarantee consumers' safety.”
The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), the American Society of Dermatologic Surgeons and the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery have all issued patient safety warnings against the use of injection fat loss treatments. Each organization discourages doctors from giving the injections, and patients from pursuing the treatment. It has been banned in Brazil and Canada, strongly discouraged in England, and the subject of judicial review in Kansas and Nebraska.
Overall, there are no published scientific studies demonstrating the effects of injection lipolysis, how the ingredients of the cocktail work to melt fat, or how safe the procedure is for patients. And again, there is no standardization for the formula used in this procedure. The types of drugs used during the procedure vary from physician to physician as does the quantity and frequency of injections. There are other aspects of this treatment that are glossed over in all the hype. Usually multiple sessions, with multiple injections per session, are required. And, there is significant swelling (and localized pain) which will not resolve for up to eight weeks.
"The doctors doing this are driving ahead of their headlights," said Los Angeles plastic surgeon Brian Kinney, past president of the Plastic Surgery Educational Foundation and professor of plastic surgery at USC. "They are practicing way outside the bounds of science, which is why some of us are uncomfortable. There's a lot we don't know about these chemicals, including how they affect nerves, tissue and blood vessels. We don't know what happens to the fat once it's dissolved, whether it enters the bloodstream or the lymphatic system."
Numerous complications have been reported including bacterial infection, granulomas (disfiguring masses of chronically inflamed tissue) and localized necrosis (tissue death), particularly when non-physicians did the injections.
The abrupt closing of Fig LipoDissolve Centers, a large chain of injection lipolysis centers in several states across the nation, has raised many questions from both patients considering treatment, and those who have already been injected using this unproven medical treatment. “Consumers should not ignore the proliferation of blogs and media that are reporting the ineffectiveness and the complications experienced by fat-melting injections,” said Richard A. D’Amico, ASPS President. “This mixture is not FDA approved nor has it been formally tested for predictable results or safety. That alone should steer consumers away from the marketing hype.”
We are optimistic that some injection method of body contouring may become a safe option for our patients in the future. It's quite possible that this treatment will have a role in our practice if it becomes FDA-approved, and is scientifically proven to be safe and effective. D'Amico agrees: "In the next few years we may have a nonsurgical method of fat removal, but we're not there yet."
In the meantime, if you want a proven solution to get rid of fat, we have one:
liposuction. Unlike injection lipolysis, which requires multiple visits and is not an accepted medical treatment, liposuction is over in an hour or two, has predictable outcomes, and an established safety record.

Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

LipoDissolve is still unproven at best

+6

LipoDissolve is still an unproven technology which effectively involves injection of detergent into areas of fatty deposits. While on paper this may seem to be effective, there is relatively no science behind this overmarketed procedure to justify the cost.

Instead of focusing on results and clear cut before/afters, the corporation behind LipoDissolve has instead focused their efforts on heavy marketing and billboards which suggest that results of this technology are equivalent to conventional liposuction. Unfortunately, the number of dissatisfied customers is rising and more and more questions are growing around this very speculative tehnology.

Gregory A. Buford, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Any time one is eating a healthy diet and exercising on...

+6
  • Any time one is eating a healthy diet and exercising on a regular basis, that will certainly increase the results with LipoDissolve.
  • Additionally, I have several plastic surgeons who perform liposuction who will send patients to me for additional touchups at the end. For example, patients say they love the results of liposuction and they can fit into smaller clothing; however, sometimes the cannula can leave little track marks, dimples, and grooves. This is a great job for LipoDissolve to smooth these out.
  • I tell patients that with LipoDissolve treatments, specifically LipoDissolve Ultra in our clinic, it usually takes two to four treatments. I tell patients to count on four treatments, so if it takes four, that is exactly what they counted on, and if it takes fewer than four, then that is a bonus. I also tell patients if they do not see any changes after two treatments, they should probably stop.
  • In my clinic, we have a success rate of approximately 80%, so four out of five patients get very nice results with LipoDissolve. Unfortunately, one out of five doesn't and I do not know how to predict who these patients will be. In fact, I wish I could, because I would tell those one in five patients not to do it, and I would tell everybody else to go ahead and then all my patients would be thrilled. Nevertheless, I tell patients if they don't see any movement after two treatments, to please stop from moving forward, but if they do see results, absolutely, keep going and treat other areas.
  • That brings me to the other point, I tell patients to start out with one area to make sure they are a good responder, and if they are, then we can certainly expand our treatment plans to include all areas that bother them.
  • Because it involves multiple injections, bruising can be significant. I tell patients to use homeopathic arnica pills starting five days before their treatment and to use arnica gel post treatment. I think this makes a big difference in minimizing any bruising.

Charles Crutchfield, MD
Minneapolis Dermatologic Surgeon

The Safe Answer to Lipodissolve

+5

Currently, the injection of material to dissolve fat tissue (commonly called LipoDissolve) is not approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration. The Coalition for Injectable Safety as well as the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery is very interested in evaluating this product for safety and effectiveness; it is our hope that there is a role for this product in the treatment of unwanted fat.

Given the interest and concern for the use of such products, the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery is supporting the trial investigation for lipo dissolve. This study will take place in St. Louis, under the guidance of Dr. Leroy Young.

It would be my recommendation that you contact Dr. Young, consult the Coalition for Injectable Safety or consult ASAPS for details on how to get involved with the study. However, we cannot support the use of a LipoDissolve outside an approved clinical trial, without U.S. FDA approval.

Julius W. Few, MD

Please remember that this treatment is currently NOT...

+2

Please remember that this treatment is currently NOT approved as safe by the FDA. While it has great appeal and if all the issues are worked out will be a great addition to our treatment options, it would be wise to wait until proper studies have been done to determine exactly what the composition of the material should be and how it should be used safely. These studies are currently underway so either participate in a proper clinical trial or wait until the answers come in.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS