IPL Laser Facial Redness Treatment

My skin is rough and often red. A plastic surgeon told me that Intense Pulsed Light (IPL Laser) was the best way for me to address these skincare problems. Is IPL right for me?

IPL treatment may be right for you depending on your goals

+3

IPL is very good for some things, but it is not very good for others. To decide if IPL is right for you, you have to understand what IPL can and cannot do and then match this with your skin problems.

IPL is best at treating sun-induced color irregularities that, depending on genetics and the amount of sun exposure, may first appear in individuals as early as the mid 20's, but usually in the early to mid 30's. These brown spots, broken capillaries (telangectasias), and spotty red blushes cause the skin to look older than it is.

The chronically sun damaged skin also becomes dull and sallow looking. The skin of a child is bright and clear, not dull and sallow. These are the skin changes that IPL is best at correcting.

It is not good at removing or even reducing wrinkles. It does not treat sagging skin, and it does not replace the facial volume loss, or deflation, that we all experience with passing time. There are other treatments for these problems of the aging face.

IPL is very inefficient for removing hair.

So, if you are concerned with irregular brown and red discoloration of the skin (dyschromias), and if your skin has lost its glow and become dull, or if you want to stop wearing foundation makeup to smooth out the color of your skin, IPL may be for you. If you are more concerned about wrinkles, sagging skin and facial deflation, you may want to seek other forms of treatment.

As with most medical treatments, the choice of IPL has to be individualized for optimal results.

Bay Area General Surgeon

IPL or Pulse Dye Laser or KTP laser

+1
It depends, you may have a condition known as Keratosis Pilaris Facei - this is rough red skin on the face. I treat at least one of these a week, and my treatment of choice is that of the V Beam laser (Pulse Dye) with a strong setting ( namely a short pulse duration). 

I have used IPL in the past, and yes it can work, but PDL is a better option. Once again your skin type needs to be taken into consideration regarding treatment, and treatment settings. 

Dr Davin Lim
Laser Dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

IPL for facial redness

+1

IPL is a good option for facial redness.  Depending on skin type IPL treatment may or may not be a good option.  It is best to have fair skin to do IPL. You may need a series of treatments to see improvement.

Sam Naficy, MD

Pulsed Dye Laser treatment for facial redness

+1

IPL treatments are definitely an option for facial redness but pulsed dye laser treatments are the gold standard for any vascular condition like the one described. IPL is much less powerful and specific when it comes to targeting only the blood vessels that cause the redness.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

IPL for red, brown spots and skin texture improvement

+1

IPL is good at reducing brown and red spots and improving skin texture. You are a good candidate if you do have brown and/or red discoloration, fair skin, and fine lines.

If you have more advanced aging and your goal is to get rid of deeper lines and wrinkles, then IPL is not the best choice for you.

Your question was brief and did not say what your goals of the treatment are. Knowing that would help guide me better in determining if IPL is right for you.

Jonathan Hoenig, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

IPL is great for sundamage and skin redness

+1

IPL is the ideal treatment if your skin concerns are sun damage and redness to the skin. You do need to be a fairer skin type to have the treatment done. It will take 2-5 treatments to achieve a good result. I have seen a lot of patient satisfaction with this treatment. It does a great job on "cleaning up" the skin and making the complexion even toned.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

IPL is great for extra pigmentation

+1

If the main concern is sun damage, broken blood vessels or rosacea, IPL is the right treatment for you. IPL can also improve the appearance of birthmarks, port wine stains, age spots and cherry angiomas. For acne, melasma, fine line and anti-aging, IPL might not be your best option. If you decide to proceed with IPL, I would recommend the Quantum IPL by Lumenis laser and a series of five treatments.

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD