Preventing Restylane Bruising

There's always a risk of bruising, but it can be reduced

+2

Anytime a needle is placed through the skin, the risk of bruising exists. In my practice, I do several things to help reduce this risk when injecting fillers (juvederm, restylane, etc) or Botox. While some of this can be overkill, it at least gives my patients some options to help minimize their chances of having a bruise:

1) I ask patients to not take aspirin or ibuprofen for a few days before and after the procedure

2) No heavy exercise for 24 hrs after the procedure (when you really get your heart pumping and the blood pressure up, it can increase the chance of a small bruise)

3) For patients who tell me they bruise easily, I also ask them to refrain from alcohol for a day or so around the procedure. In addition, certain herbal meds can increase the chance of bruising as well, so those can be stopped before the procedure.

Finally, and most importantly I think, it does come down to the technique of the surgeon injecting, and experienced injectors in general have a very low bruising rate. Most of us will have our patients ice before and after the procedure, and ask them to ice for several hours afterwards as well if possible. Despite this, there is always a risk, so I tell my patients to be prepared for this, and we can usually use simple makeup to cover the area while the bruising subsides.

Dr. S

Prevent Bruising from Restylane, Perlane Juvederm, Botox and Prevelle Injections

+2

In my practice we ice the area to be injected to reduce pain and the possibility of bruising. I also encourage people to avoid asprin products prior to receiving a dermal filler. For individuals who tend to bruise very easily, arnica montana might even be an option.

Select a physician or cosmetic injector with a great deal of experience and expertise using dermal fillers.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

BruiseStick and BruiseFighter

+1

BruiseStick ointment and BruiseFighter help reduce bruising and inflammation with injectables. Refrain from alcohol, green tea, fish oils, NSAIDS for a week before.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

Preventing Restylane Bruising

+1

The number one reason for bruising is improper technique so ensure that you are going to an experienced and expert injector. Avoid aspirin and herbal supplements prior to the treatment. Arnica can also be helpful. Alcohol should be minimized. No heavy exercise post treatment.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Minimizing bruising

+1

Make sure you stop all aspirin base, anti-inflammatory products, and fish oil a week or two prior to injecting. Also there are some homeopathic supplements out there such as Arnice Montana, Arnica Forte or Sinnech. And most physicians will give you some ice to apply after your treatment.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Can bruising from Injections be avoided?

+1

While the possibility of bruising can never be completely eliminated, there are ways to limit the possibility.

• Do not take aspiring or ibuprofen for a week before treatments.
  • Do not take fish oil supplements for a week before treatments.
  • Choose a practitioner that is very experienced as injectors tend to have less bruising incidents as they become more experienced.
  • As a backup plan, choose a practitioner that has a Pulsed Dye Laser. We use pulsed dye lasers to remove any bruising from injection procedures within about 48-73 hours of the bruise.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Preventing bruising after Restylane injections

+1

Bruising can be prevented or minimized by following the guidelines described below:

• Arnica tablets: BruiseKare; Sinecch, Homeopathic arnica montana
  • Arnica ointment: BruiseStick ointment
  • Massage early
  • Avoid aspirin, ibuprofen, Motrin, Advil, or any other blood thinners
  • Use ice after the injection
  • Massage early
  • Hold pressure immediately after the injection

I recommend Bruisestick ointment stick to all of my patients after injection with Restylane, Botox, and Juvederm.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Minimize bruising

+1

First, patients should avoid any blood thinning medications at lesat 1-2 weeks prior to filler injections. Products like aspirin or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agents such as motrin should be avoided. Also, some topicals or local anesthetics that contain epinephrine may help minimize bruising. Products with epinephrine constrict blood vessels and can minimize bruising.

It takes two to tango!

+1

The issue with bruising and injectibles is a common one. Patients nowadays are on aspirin for heart disease prevention as well as multiple supplements to improve their general health. These substances can thin the blood out making the risk of bruising higher. I ask my patients to avoid taking anything other than prescribed medications for two weeks before their injections. I also believe that good careful injection technique will help minimize the bruising. Finally, there is some evidence in the literature that the homeopathic medications Arnica Montana and Bromelain might be effective in decreasing bruising. I don't think it can be eliminated completely.

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Ask if your Physician if they can modify the injections

+1

Hello Cindy,

Excellent advice given so far.

I would also add that it would be worthwhile to ask your Physician if they can add any lidocaine with epinephrine to your injections.

Lidocaine can help reduce any discomfort and the epinephrine reduces bruising that can result from the injection process.

This is a technique I learned recently from a colleague of mine who teaches Physician Courses on injection techniques and have been pretty happy with the reduced bruising seen by using use this method.

Kamran Jafri, MD