How to Prevent Scars or Scarring from a Laser Treatment?

the one fear I have about laser treatment like Fraxel is the danger/risk/side effect of scarring. are laser scars avoidable?

Lasers treatments are the most unregulated medical...

+7

Lasers treatments are the most unregulated medical procedure performed today. Many medi-spas and skin clinics that offer laser treatments do not have an experienced medical doctor on site to evaluate the patient before the procedure and to be present to deal with any potential complications.

Ideally, laser treatments should be performed in a medical setting (not in the so-called medi-spas or skin clinics), such as the offices of a dermatologist or a plastic surgeon.

The nurses and aestheticians who actually perform the laser procedures should be under the supervision of a plastic surgeon or dermatologist who is physically present on site. Presently, less than 20% of laser treatments are performed in such a manner.

How to Prevent Scars from Laser Treatments-Choose a Competent Doctor

+4

Complications or Laser Resurfacing such as scars are caused by:

• Too deep treatment
  • Poor post resurfacing wound care
  • Improper patient selection
  • Poor patient compliance with post op wound care instructions

It is not the Laser that causes scars but how the laser is used and how well the patient follows post operative wound care instructions.

The best way to avoid scars after Laser Resurfacing is to:

• Find a very experienced doctor who has used laser resurfacing for many years with good results
  • Fastidiously follow post operative instructions
  • Find someone who uses Fractional Erbium Laser Resurfacing-CO2 lasers are more likely to cause scarring in my opinion

If proper depth of treatment is used the most common cause of scars is failure to cleanse and moisturize the skin after treatment.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

There are two simple rules to follow. Be treated with...

+4

There are two simple rules to follow.

1. Be treated with one of the newer fractional lasers.
  2. Remember that all lasers are high powered machines. Scars can and do occur when these technologies are used by inexperienced doctors - it is not the fault of the machine! Always make sure your doctor is board-certified and qualified to use the technologies in their offices.

David Goldberg, MD

Avoid scars from Laser Resurfacing

+2

The risk for scarring from laser resurfacing treatments can be minimized by focusing on a few issues:

1. Make sure that you independently verify that the laser being suggested for your treatment is appropriate for your skin type. For example if you are African American and your physician suggest CO2 resurfacing, I would be worried. There are lots of lasers available but many should be limited to certain skin types.

2. Choose a physician that has done hundreds if not thousands of the procedures being proposed. Preferably one that has a specialty in lasers.

3. Ask lots of questions. Has the laser been used with your skin type commonly? What is the incidence of side effects? What are the most serious side effects that have been encountered? What is being done to minimize unintended side effects in the treatment?

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Have Laser Treatments with experienced credentialled practitioners

+2

Laser is simply a monophasic beam of light. The theory is that each laser wavelength targets a specific part of the tissue. In hair removal, the wavelength chosen is absorbed greatest by black color in the follicles, whereas wrinkle reducing lasers target the water chromophore and cause energy absorption and tightening.

Experience with your skin complexion is most important in seeking a physician to perform laser treatments. I see patients regularly with laser complications. When you delve into their history, time and time again, the patients report going to an inexperienced or non-credentialled practitioner.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Scarring from lasers

+1

I have been asked to be an expert witness in multiple cases where a laser technician has burned and scarred a patient of theirs . The answer to your question is that every laser can scar a patient when used at settings that don't fit or in patients with certain circumstances that predispose to scarring. The key to avoiding this complication is to seek an experienced dermatologists office with years of experience with lasers including knowledge of the science behind the laser , safe protocols , good aftercare and the ability to adjust laser settings appropriately to get the optimal results while minimizing the risks.

Shawn Allen, MD
Boulder Dermatologist

Preventing Scars after Laser Resurfacing

+1

Thank you for the question. The best way to prevent scars after laser treatment is to have a treatment done with the appropriate laser and appropriate strength/depth.  Management of your skin pre- and post-laser is also helpful, and frequently includes retinoids, bleaching creams, and anti-inflammatories. Attentive post-procedure care with emollients and other topicals will also be very helpful.

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser Resurfacing

+1

Scarring from lasers are rare in capable hands.  Pigment irregularity is the more common problem, especially in ethnic patients, but it is usually temporary and can be avoided with pre-care and after-care with bleaching creams and sunscreen.*

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist

Preventing scars fron Laser treatments

+1

The most important factor in preventing scars from laser treatments is checking out the qualifaications of your Physician. Board Certification in Cosmetic procedures is essentinal. Both Dermatology and Plastic surgery meet this reqirement. Next, How many procedures have they done? a minimun of 500 is a good place to start. Prophylactic treatment with an an Anti Herpes medication and an antibiotic are essential. Patients with dark eyes and/or easy tanning should be placed on skin exfoliaters, 6% Hydroquinone and Sunscreen SPF 60 or higher for at least 3 weeks prior to the procedure to prevent long term increases in pigment. I give my patients a multi page document of possible problems and my home and cell phone numbers so that they can reach me if they have any concerns. Scars can be prevented if infections do occur by prompt,  (less than 12 hours) intervention

Michael Tomcik, MD
San Ramon Dermatologist

Fractional Treatments Have Minimal Scarring Risk

+1

While there is always a risk of scarring that can not be avoids, fractional laser treatments have a reduced risk over traditional ablative lasers. Besides the initial laser treatments, failure to keep the area moist while healing and infections can lead to scarring. It is therefore very important to follow all post operative care instructions and keep regular follow up with your plastic surgeon until the area has healed.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon