How Can I Avoid Getting Over-filled or Fake-looking Breast Implants?

Fake looking implants

+2

This is a serious question... we're putting in implants to enhance the breasts, but at what point do they look fake? I'm in Texas, many like things big here. "The bigger the better, the tighter the sweater"

There's significant pressure to supersize implants. It's very easy to get caught up in it and I as a plastic surgeon have to fight off every consultation when I'm being asked to place larger implants that I think will look good. Focusing back on your question, the way to make implants not look fake is to maintain a reasonable proportion of breast to implant ratio. If the ratio is much more implant than breast, then it's gonna look like an implant. If the ratio is maintained even, then less so.

Your board certified plastic surgeon will need to help you out on this one. His experience will be key and he will need to understand exactly what you mean by fake so take some photos of patients with similar body frames as yours. If you're overweight, then don't take a photo of an 18 year old, 99 lb playboy model, that's not very helpful. Find a photo of someone similar in characteristics to you and show your doctor a nice and a 'fake' looking result in your opinion. That'll be tremendously helpful.

DoctorMeade

The best way to avoid getting a bad result starts with...

+2

The best way to avoid getting a bad result starts with choosing the right doctor. Make sure to express what you want the final size and look to be and that the doctor and staff are listening to you. Also, look at their pictures and be sure their patients don't have looks you don't like because this is a reflection of what they think makes an attractive result.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Phony looking breasts after augmentation

+1

The keys to a great looking breast augmentation: (1) Always choose a Board Certified plastic surgeon, one who regularly does breast implants.  (2) Look at his/her before and after pictures on their webisite.  If any look fake or phony, that gives you some idea of whether the surgeon has an aesthetic eye.  (3) Silicone implants look and feel more natural than saline.  (4) Implants below the muscle have a more natural look due to the implant lifting the pectoralis muscle and filling that upper triangle between your implant and collar bone.  (5) The size of the implant has less impact on whether your breasts look natural after an augmentation than one might imagine. 

Very often, women have asymmetric breasts with one or both nipples pointing towards the armpit.  The implant base diameter, if slightly larger, can turn the nipple to a forward facing position and still give cleavage.  The point here is smaller (some would say natural looking implants) may leave your breasts with little or no cleavage and nipples pointing to your armpits instead of straight ahead, therefore, the size of the implant while of some value is less important than a great looking chest with reasonable cleavage and normal placed nipples. 

In summary, (1) use a Board Certified plastic surgeon who understands the variations of womens' breasts; (2) use silicone implants; (3) go underneath the muscle at least for the upper portion of the implant; and finally, (4) if the surgeon can explain the surgery completely in words you understand and explain your variations from the norm, than that is the person to go with. 

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Choose a Plastic Surgeon with an aesthetic eye

+1

One of the most critical factors in determining whether or not you will get a natural result is your choice of a surgeon. A good surgeon has an aesthetic eye and will be able to determine what implant size, shape, and style will be most appropriate for your body.

To choose a good plastic surgeon, always do the following:

• Ask them how many breast augmentations they perform in a month
  • Ask to see before & after photos of their patients
  • Ask to speak with 1 or 2 of their patients

Most importantly, go with your gut feeling and do not let price be a determinant in your decision.

I hope that helps!

Gregory A. Buford, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Natural look from Breast Implants

+1

See a Board Certified PS.

Measurements will be taken of your breast dimensions and amount of breast tissue to cover the implant.

Based on these measurements your plastic surgeon will give you a range of implanrt sizes that will look natural.

If your expectations arerealistic and your surgeon understands your desires, you will get a natural enhancement.

In most of my patients I cannot tell if they have an implant if I did not know.

In some patients, I can tell they are augmented the moment I see the breast

Breast augmentation and avoiding overfilled or fake looking breasts.

+1

Probably the single most important determinant in avoiding over-filled breasts is using a smaller implant with recommended fill volumes. Of course, one of the most common complaints following breast augmentation is desire for larger implants and so this is one of the most difficult aspects of planning the surgery.

AS the other surgeon's have mentioned, choosing an experienced board certified plastic surgeon is a critical step in initating this process.

Best way to assure the BEST looking augmented breasts

+1

Getting the BEST LOOKING augmented breasts is NOT really as difficult as you may think:

1. Pick a Qualified Plastic Surgeon (start by searching the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (www.PlasticSurgery.org). Such surgeons will
- have trained in Surgery AND Plastic Surgery (not in other unrelated areas of Medicine)
- be certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery (Not by any other boards)
- have hospital privileges in Plastic Surgery in your city's leading hospital (if a hospital is willing to allow a surgeon to operate within its walls, it means he has been fully checked out and vetted)
- is a member of The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) - the world's largest professional association of Plastic surgery which is dedicated to the safe and ethical practice of Plastic Surgery

2. Interact with the surgeon. Does he answer all your questions? Has he taught you more than you thought you knew about the surgery you want? Is he respectful of your wishes?

3. View his/her before and after photos. Is his/her aesthetic sense the same as yours?

4. Speak to a few of his former patients. Are they happy with him? Would they do it again?

5. As regards Breast Augmentation great results -
- Go "under the muscle" to limit visibility and palpability of the implant
- Pick the implants best covered by your present breast tissue (larger implants will show through the skin and may look "fake"
- go through a Periareolar incision which unlike others, can be used repeatedly not only to replace implants but to lift the breasts as well.

Dr. P. Aldea

Natural results with breast implants

+1

To achieve natural results with breast implants, first I would say you should not go too large. They usually look better under the muscle, and silicone feel softer than saline.  You also have to let the swelling and settling to take place for them to look natural.

Achieving a natural look after breast augmentation

+1

I would like to rephrase your question to how can my breast implants look and act as natural as possible.

To achieve this goal, it is important to match the implant to your body and not the other way around. This means an implant which can easily fit within your chest width and height. These measurements should be taken at the time of consultation.

The other factor is the thickness and mobility of your breast tissue. If you have very thin skin and lack breast tissue, a smaller implant is better than a larger implant.

The implant pocket should be made slightly larger than the implant so the implant can move naturally with your body movement.

However, the best way is to look at before and after photos of surgeons you have seen and see which results you like best.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Natural appearing breast augmentation

+1

Attainment of your ideal breast shape and size requires expertise in several key areas:

Communication with your surgeon
You should expect your plastic surgeon to listen carefully to your wishes, and prioritize efforts to attain your wishes in a safe, natural appearing manner. He or she should listen to your goals, and then have an open and educational discussion with you about the best way to go about achieving your desired outcome.

Thoughtful examination of your pre-operative size and shape
Every patient is different. Your body, like your fingerprint, is a unique form that is both special and specific to you. Similarly, every operation should be individualized to each patient. Various measurements of your breast size, shape, and anatomic features should be recorded and utilized in the planning of a unique plastic surgery operation to maximize your postoperative breast form.

Discussion of options with respect to types of procedures, incision placement, postoperative expectations, and if used, types of breast implants that can be implemented in the procedures
Education is the cornerstone of the preoperative visit, and he or she should provide you with a thorough understanding of your plastic surgery options. This includes a discussion about saline and silicone gel breast implants, with careful attention to their respective advantages and disadvantages so you can make an educated decision about the type of breast enhancement surgery to have.

Preoperative “sizing” using breast implant sizers and brassieres to allow you to be involved in choosing the right size for her goals.
Part of the educational process is allowing you to estimate your postoperative form using breast implant sizers placed in an appropriate brassiere. Following a detailed discussion about the best choice of breast implants for you, both the plastic surgeon and his or her staff should be available to assist you in choosing the correct size breast implant. This additionally helps you to convey to the surgeon your postoperative expectations, allowing an even better understanding of your goals in order to assist in the operative planning.

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon