How to Best Prepare for Surgery?

I have a "mommy makeover" scheduled in about a month. I already eat a very balanced diet, take vitamin supplements, and exercise regularly. Is there anything else I need to do to maximize my results? Are there any supplements or things I should be avoiding?

Preparation prior to tummy tuck surgery

+2

In general, most surgeons will provide you with recommendations prior to surgery. Certainly cessation of herbal supplementations for at least 2 weeks, no smoking for 1 month prior, avoiding alcohol and NSAIDS 10 days prior, adquate protein supplementation and a multivitamin twice a day are just a few of the recommendations we advise.

Breast implants preparation

+2

It is great that you eat right and take vitamins to have good nutrition for healing. As far as things to avoid before surgery, anti inflammatory medicines such as aspirin, ibuprofen, motrin, nuprin, or aleve cause easy bruising and bleeding. They should be avoided for about two weeks prior and for about a month after surgery in my opinion. Avoiding these will prevent swelling from bleeding that can ultimately effect your surgery course and result. Tylenol can be used if you have aches or pains. Vitamin E and herbal medicines such as green tea can also cause easy bleeding so should be avoided.

A homeopathic medicine called Arnica is actually good to take starting a day before surgery and during the post-operative period to help prevent bruising and swelling.

The other critical thing to avoid is cigarette smoking and second hand cigarette smoke. Breathing cigarette smoke will have an extremely negative impact on your healing. Every puff of cigarette smoke breathed makes blood vessels constrict resulting in less blood flow to heal. Much like grass needing water to grow, surgery sites need blood flow to heal.

If you tend to be anemic (low blood count) like many women, Iron supplements before and after surgery can help improve your healing.

Michael Horn, MD

Take instructions from your own surgeon

+2

Pre-operative preparations vary widely from surgeon to surgeon. Some put patients on a combinations of medications and homeopathic therapies and some prefer to keep things simply. If you are generally healthy, you cannot speed up the healing process. if you are lacking in certain vitamins, minerals, or having disease conditions such as diabetes, then certainly therapies should be instituted to counteract these detrimental situations. You also should avoid things that can cause complication such as aspirin products and vitamin E supplements. I tend to be a minimalist as far as pre-op medication and believe that most normal patients will heal normally without intervention and the more medicines you add, the more potential complication you can incur. But in the end, you should only listen to the advice of your own surgeon while being free to ask his opinion on specific regimens.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Mommy Makeover Preparation: What You Can Do

+1

The mommy makeover is one of the most extensive procedures performed in cosmetic surgery. For this reason, preparing for surgery in every possible way will not only improve your result, but the quality of the experience as well. It’s important to prepare physically, medically, and mentally for this procedure.

It’s important to be in good physical condition before proceeding with this procedure. Ideally, results are best when patients are within ten percent of their ideal body weight. In some cases, patients are unable to reach this goal. This group still benefits from the procedure. In addition it’s also important to maintain good nutrition, exercise regularly and maintain a healthy life style.

It’s also important to be medically ready for the mommy makeover. Patients should be extensively evaluated to rule out other medical conditions. Areas of particular concern include cigarette smoking, blood pressure management and the patient’s baseline hemoglobin.

Mental preparation for the mommy makeover is also extremely important and helps lower the anxiety levels before surgery. It’s important that you have a comfort level with your anesthesiologist, surgeon and the surgical facility. It’s essential that all your questions be answered so there are no surprises.

Arrangements for post-operative care also need to be in order. It’s important to have a care giver not only for yourself, but your children as well. Addressing as many of these issues as possible before surgery will significantly improve results and the quality of the experience. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Getting ready for a mommy makeover

+1

A mommy makeover is a great combination of in abdominoplasty with breast contouring. The best way to get ready for your surgery is to continue with your low-fat balanced diet and continue with a exercise regimen that combines aerobic and weight training. This combination will make sure that you are in the best shape possible to receive your surgery. Best of luck!

To learn more about tummy tucks, see photos, and help you decide which one is best for you, please visit us at the link below:

Pat Pazmino, MD

Preparing for surgery

+1

One of the most important things that you can do before surgery is to not take any blood thinning medications like aspirin or anti-inflammatory agents. 

Mommy Makeover Preparation

+1

Prior to all surgeries, patients should refrain from taking aspirin, ibuprofen, and vit E,  all of which can potentially cause increased bleeding.  A number of herbal meds can also cause excessive bleeding.  Mosy plastic surgeons will provide a list of medications to avoid.

John Whitt, MD