Would it be unwise to get a "touch up" nose job procedure? Is it worth the risks?

I had a nose job last November, i love the bridge of my nose, its like perfectly straight, but the tip still looks bulbous and undefined and i was wondering if it was possible and worth the risk to go back under and have more work done on my nose tip? How much is a touch up procedure? How long should I wait until i consider it?

Appropriate time to consider revision surgery

Your nose will continue to heal and change in appearance for a year, and even up to 2 years for patients with thick skin.  The tip is the area that swelling after surgery will take the longest to resolve, so give it a chance to fully heal before considering a revision surgery.  Based on the thickness of your skin, further refinement of your tip may or may not be possible.  

Bulbous tip

Although a bulbous tip is a very common finding, addressing it remains a very controversial procedure.
There has to be a balance between preventing a pinched tip, vs a natural refined look.  Seek the advice of an experienced rhinoplasty specialist.

If there was minimal work done to your tip, you may be a candidate for further refinement. However, each patient should  be addressed individually. Submitting photos is most important for addressing your particular issue.

Post photos, or, if uncomfortable seek a consultation.

Good luck,

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Re: Would it be unwise to get a "touch up" nose job procedure

It is felt by most rhinoplasty surgeons that any revisions should be done after sufficient healing has occurred.  This is usually around 7 to 9 months. 

I personally like to have the area in question become supple and free of any cyclical swelling, or tenderness before a follow-up procedure is contemplated.  This often requires patience and focal tissue massage that we teach our patients during the healing period.

Thank you,

S.P. Maggi, MD, FACS

I would wait at least one year before considering a revision.

Los Angeles, CA......

The answer is, yes, you can have a tipplasty to address the bulbous tip, but I would wait a minimum of a year.  Rhinoplasty recovery may take from 8 months up to completely heal.  Give it time before you decide to have a revision.

Revisional surgery after rhinoplasty is not uncommon.

One has to be sure that the improvement from a revision is predictable. This is something between you and your plastic surgeon. I would not embark on a revision for at least six months two-year after there has been no visible change the nose over a longTime interval.

Touch up

If your first surgery was closed.....wait at least one full year. If it was open, I would wait a minimum of 18 months. Also, a "tip touch-up" is often not a simple minor procedure at all. Disuss your goals with your surgeon at the appropriate time.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Is touch up needed?

It's usually possible to go back and revise the tip but I would recommend waiting at least a year to allow for all of the swelling to subside and allow you and the surgeon to see everything better.