Steroid Injections to Correct Fat Graft?

Steroid shot helped a lot to correct over-grafted temples, but they're still too large. 1. How long does it take to see the full results of the steroid shot? 2. How long will the results last from this shot? 3. This may be my mere imagination, but temples seem a bit larger than a couple of days after the steroid shot, is this possible? Could my temples get bigger still? 4. Do I have the option of getting as many steroid shots as I want to reduce temples to size I want?

Steroid Injections for Fat Transfer Fullness

+3

Dear remiananonymous,  No, you cannot and should not keep getting steroid injections into your temple area to decrease the graft fullness.  Steroids have their own side effects including pigmentation changes, tissue thinning, and atrophy.  One or two injections with a very dilute solution is usually the maximum you should consider.

Overfilling of the temple area frequently can be treated with micro-liposuction performed under local anesthesia with very small micro cannulas.  One or more sessions may be required but it is better to be conservative with fat in the face when either placing the fat into the face or taking it out.  A little fat goes a long way in the face.

Please consult with a plastic surgeon who is very experienced with fat transfers to the face to learn your best options.

Hope this helps.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Over full fat grafting/transfer

+2

Over full fat grafting can be reduced by microliposuction, kenalog/steroid injection, 5FU injection, or a combination of these methods.  Steroid injection takes about a month to take effect and multiple injections may be needed.

Web reference: http://www.tabanmd.com/fat-transfer

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Cortisone Shots to Melt Away Excess Fat

+2

Dear patient, As a Dermatologist I often use Kenelog (Cortisone) to melt away scar tissue and excess fatty deposits. It works quite well if performed correctly. kenelog comes in 2 strengths (10mg per cc and 40 mg per cc) and can be constituted to various strenghts. The level of the injection of the Kenelog is as important as the strength chosen. For cysts and small irregularities even 2.5mg/cc (0.1cc) is sufficient. These injections should not be performed too often (I will come back to this later) as they can thin the skin, cause light discolorations and generally accumulate in the system. kenelog shots can be performed every 2-4 weeks (depending on the strength of the kenelog used). I never administer stronger than 10mg/cc in the face because of delayed atrophy and hypo-pigmentation. If there is truly too much fat in your temples you should consider micro-liposuction by an experienced surgeon. I hope this was helpful. Yours.

Web reference: http://foreveryoung.net/smartlipo.html

Los Angeles Dermatologist