Revision Rhinoplasty (6 Months Post Op)?

6 months post op im so depressed! my nose is not looking smaller nor slimmer I have thick skinned and this is my second nose job he broke the bones to bring it in, and reduced the tip and placed grafts inside to lift it up since the first nose job left my tip droopy . my surgeon told me to massage my nose when I do I look in the mirror and it seems way slimmer but then it swells up again, My question is should I tape down my nose?

6 months after revision rhinoplasty

+1

Hello, and sorry to hear you are not happy with your result. In general, patients with thick skin may have swelling that lingers for a longer period of time. They may also not always achieve the level of definition they desire. 70% of the swelling is typically resolved after 3 months, and the remainder goes down over time. It can take up to 18-24 months to see the final result of rhinoplasty. Swelling can be influenced by the thickness of the patients skin, whether the procedure was a revision, whether tip work was performed, and whether the procedure was open or closed. With that being said, your final result will be evident toward the later end of the time period mentioned. I would recommend following the specific guidelines outlined by your surgeon, and ask them about any specific questions you have while you are healing. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Swelling can last many months after a rhinoplasty

+1

I am sorry to hear you are not having a great experience after your rhinoplasty. It is normal to have prolonged swelling in revision rhinoplasty cases, especially if the skin is thicker. It would help to see your before and after photos to advise you about your case. It can be frustrating to go through the recovery after having a second surgery on your nose. You should definately share your concerns with your surgeon and don't be afraid to get a second opinion if you are not comfortable with the answers you get.

There are so many factors the play into how a nose looks after rhinoplasty surgery. I find often in patients with thick skin they do better with a more structured rhinoplasty that increases tip projection rather than just removing bone and cartilage. Taping probably won't help much. Rarely I will use Kenalog injections if I feel the swelling is excessive and that can be really helpful in some noses.

I hope this helps, hang in there, it does get better.

Dr Wayne

Ivan Wayne, MD
Oklahoma City Facial Plastic Surgeon

With time your nose will improve

+1

Hello. At six months you are nowhere close to your final results and for a full year after your procedure your cosmetic appearance will continue to improve. Much of your worries can be attributed to swelling at this stage. Just try to be patient as these trouble areas will improve.

Jaime Perez, MD
Rhinoplasty Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Swelling resolution after revision rhinoplasty

+1

I tell all my patients that the final result of a rhinoplasty will not be fully apparent for 12 to 18 months.  Thick skin and revision procedures both tend to prolong swelling after nasal surgery.  At this time be patient and you should see the contours of your nose gradually improve.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling 6 Months Post Rhinoplasty

+1

Your nose will continue to improve for at least 1 year and probably longer because you have thick skin and this was a revision. Taping will not have any significant effect at this time.

Revision and six months out

+1

Revisions often have swelling longer than primary rhinoplasties. Give it at least a year. Good luck.