Residents perform cheek implants surgery. Is this a good idea?

I was considering cheek implants done by a resident at a local college. The website says a board certified plastic surgeon will be attending the surgery but the resident would be the primary surgeon and caregiver. Cheek implants seem like a relatively easy procedure. Is this a good idea?

Residents performing cheek implants

+1
 It is acceptable for a Resident  to perform cheek implants, as long as the attending and experienced surgeon is present in the operating room supervising. It's also important the patient understand that  the surgery is being performed by a resident in a teaching hospital.

+1
This is a personal choice for you to make. I always recommend seeking out an experienced surgeon to perform, rather than just supervise, your procedure. The most important part of this procedure is not placing the implant but choosing which size and shape of implant to place over your cheekbone. If you go the route of having a trainee perform your surgery you will want to make sure that their attending also confirms that they've chosen the best implant for your unique needs. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Residents doing cheek implants

+1
All in all cheek implant surgery is not that difficult but I would want an experienced surgeon there. If the resident has an experienced surgeon assisting him and helping him I think the surgery should go fine and I would give it a go. I typically place in cheek implants from under the lip and do it in 30 minutes or so with just local anesthesia in the office.

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon