Is it normal to have swelling beyond the injection site after Restylane in nasolabial folds? (photo)

I had restylane injected into my nasolabial folds yesterday afternoon. I started getting swelling last night and it has increased today. My concern is that the swelling is beyond the injection site. The folds themselves are not that swollen. The swelling is most prominent above the folds, up on my cheeks. Should I be concerned?

Swelling is a common side effect from nasolabial fold injections.

+1
Swelling is a common side effect from nasolabial fold injections. Swelling peaks at 24-48 hours. Sleep with your head slightly elevated to reduce swelling. 

Best of Luck. 

Where should I get swelling after Restylane injections

+1
Swelling is often not right at the injection site, but near it. I'd say if your swelling was on your chin and you had your NLF lines injected, then that may be of concern. But it's very normal to be swollen in areas right near the injection sites, like the cheeks. Ice packs will help, as will Arnica which is available at health food stores.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Swelling is normal after Restylane injections

+1
Swelling after Restylane (or any filler) injections is normal for 1-2 weeks after the injection- the swelling can extend beyond where the filler was placed as well.  I wouldn't worry too much at this point- if the swelling persists after 2 weeks then I would follow up with your provider. Try not to touch or manipulate the area as this may increase the swelling.  You can try some ice packs (not directly on the skin but under a thin cloth or paper towel) on and off for 10 minutes at a time for the next few days to help decrease the swelling.

Erica Linnell, MD
Seattle Dermatologist