Is my Scar Tissue Permanent?

I had liposuction from my arms, abdomen, flanks, inner thighs and under my arms 6 weeks ago with a fat transfer to my butt and hips. I know have very hard scar tissue in my inner thighs and under both of my arms. I have been getting massages for several weeks with no softening to the scar tissue. In the pictures you can also see I have horrible discoloration. Will this ever go away?

Liposuction issues

+2

At six weeks after liposuction surgery it is not uncommon to have some firmness and this usually gets better with time. Bruising or discoloration usually disappears by this point.

It will improve with time.

+1

It is normal to have areas of firmness and swelling after liposuction.  It usually takes 3 months for the tissues to soften.  In some instances, it may even take up to 6 months to get the final contour.  The discoloration will also improve with time.  If the discoloration does not disappear, your surgeon may recommend a "brightening" scream such as hydroquinone products.  But best to check with your plastic surgeon first.

Sugene Kim, MD

Is my Scar Tissue Permanent?

+1

It is probably too early to tell.  Swelling and healing as well as scar maturation can persist for 6 months and sometimes up to 1 year following liposuction.

Kenneth Hughes, MD                                                                                                       Los Angeles, CA