Do my Breast Look Normal After Breast Lift? I Haven't Seen Any This Bad out There. (photo)

I was hoping for an honest opinion from the surgeons out there. I have looked and looked and I am yet to find any breast that look as different as mine. I have seen worst work, on both breasts. One breast is healing beautifully, round, scar seems to be in the right place. The other looks into space, the scar looks and feels pinched and too high and too long. Please, have you seen cases like this and is this is going to get better/normal? or do you see a revision in my future?

Assymetry after breast lift

+2

I t would be good to know how long after the surgery the pictures were taken.  It does take a while for everything to settle; usually a couple of months.  If, after that, the result is not satisfactory, there are many options for revision.  You may be charged for revision.

Talmage Raine MD FACS

Do my Breast Look Normal After Breast Lift? I Haven't Seen Any This Bad out There.

+1

My opinion based upon the photos posted and your written description is after 6 months post op you need a revision. 

Breast Lift

+1

It appears as though you have had a non-traditional lift and you have considerable asymmetry in the result.  I think over time as the tissues settle you may see some improvement, but this is not an acceptable result and you will likely need a revision.  Many patients come in wanting "limited" incisions, "vertical only" incisions, etc and this is what can happen when the standard procedure is not performed.  My advice is always to do the procedure which is best for the patient, accepting that a longer incision may give a better result.  Your procedure eliminated the horizontal portion of the customary mastopexy and it resulted in misshapen breasts.  

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Questions about healing after breast lift

+1

I understand your concerns. it does look like your left nipple is higher than your other side. There is still a lot of healing to take place before your can make a final judgement. Give it 3 months. In the meantime you can certainly make your concerns known to your surgeon.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Vertical closure of breast lift

+1

It looks like your surgery was pretty recent leavina vertical closure with an extension laterally. You have to give it time to settle and this may take a few months.   Follow closely with your surgeon.

Breast and Tummy tuck issues.

+1

You have asked several questions on this forum, both about your tummy tuck and your breast lift. From your follow-up comments, we know your surgeon is a board-certified surgeon (American Board of Plastic Surgery or some other board?) and you had both tummy tuck and breast lift (it would appear without implants) here in the US.

Although the answers by my colleagues are correct about swelling, as well as the fact that healing is still in major flux and will be expected to change fairly significantly over time, I'm not going to sidestep your question.

I can see by your photographs that your incisions do not match in either orientation or dimension, and they're not off by just a bit. You have much more of a vertical component to your breast with the higher nipple/areola complex (left breast if it was a self-photo); the opposite (right) breast incision curves almost immediately to the side. If the incisions and scars don't match now, how can the results do so even with passage of time?

Although the shape and nipple/areola position looks good on the right, the scar will be situated quite a bit higher than your crease, and (by other photos in your other questions) you have a dog-ear excision that tails off inferiorly and does not fall in line with the remainder of the scar. On the left side, your breast tissue is lower than it should be with relation to the nipple/areola complex. It's hard to be definitive without actual bilateral clavicle-nipple or sternal notch-nipple measurements, but if these measurements are as "off" as your photos seem to show, this will not get better over time either. In fact, as your tissues settle and drop, your left breast will really look more bottomed out.

I believe your result is at least partially due to the choice of breast lift design; a "traditional" anchor or Wise-pattern lift is used by the majority of plastic surgeons because the design is less "free-hand," more predictable (if properly measured, marked, and performed), and has fewer of these types of outcomes, IMHO.

So with due respect to my colleagues who gently counsel patience and allowing things to settle, I don't truly believe that even with time your breasts will look "normal" at all, and I also think that while they will look better as time goes by, you will still need a surgical revision to even things out and achieve somewhat of an acceptable result.

If this was done at a university teaching center, or in a practice that trains plastic surgery residents, you may have had two different surgeons doing each breast, particularly as you had a "mommy makeover" tummy tuck at the same operation (and saving time is a consideration). Nothing wrong with that; we all trained at one point in the beginning of our plastic surgery careers. But, you should have known and accepted that pre-operatively;  perhaps revisionary surgery can be somewhat less costly as a result.

Keep in touch with your surgeon and be honest without being angry. You should have been apprised of your surgeon's/hospital's policies with regard to revision or re-do surgery costs. This surgery should be delayed until at least 3 months post-op (6 months or longer is even better) to allow both breasts and tummy to settle, soften, and scars mature. Good luck and best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

You need to wait till your breast has settled

+1

You had L lift and it has caused distortion of the breast shape. This is not the final result and you need to wait at least 3 months before reevaluation. You need to continue to see your surgeon and be patient. 

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Need for Revision After Mastopexy

+1

The pictures you have provided are useful, however not the standard photos that we take to evaluate the breasts. This with the fact that you are only 4 weeks post-op makes it difficult to give you an accurate opinion. What I can say with certainty is that you are very early on in the healing period. From the pictures you have provided there appears to be significant inflammation and healing taking place, which is to be expected at this juncture in your recovery.  You will need at least 3 to 6 months of healing time to allow the inflammation and the scarring to adequately resolve and at that point a more judicious evaluation can be made as to whether revision will be required or not.

Note that your breasts will most likely continue to improve but that they may do so at a different rate. At this point I recommend that you continue to follow up with your surgeon and make sure that you share your concerns with them.

Pedro M. Soler, Jr., MD

Concerns about Results of Breast Surgery...

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

It is difficult to give you an “honest opinion” based on the photographs provided. Keep in mind, that in the photographs,  your arms are elevated differently. This asymmetry of your arms can also translate to some asymmetry of the breasts as well.

At this point, I would suggest ( given that you are only 4 weeks out of your procedure),  that you continue to follow up with your plastic surgeon.  Communicate your questions/concerns in a calm/constructive fashion.

I would also suggest that you evaluate the end results of surgery approximately 6 months after the procedure was performed;  at this point, it is much too early to make an accurate prediction whether revision surgery will be helpful.

Do my Breast Look Normal

+1

Your breasts do not look even at this early stage in recovery, but it is too early to think about a revision. It appears that the closure on the right side is a bit tighter than on the left, and it may well be that as the scar stretches out that the symmetry will be improved. An evaluation at six months after surgery is an appropriate time to consider revision surgery if necessary.

Thanks and best wishes.