Can I Get a Mini Tummy Tuck with Muscle Tightening? (photo)

I am 30 with 2 kids, 2 and 5. They were both by c-section. My scar is low and almost invisible. I want a mini tummy tuck because I would like my scar as low and small as possible. I also want my muscles tightened because I have that pregnant looking pooch. My belly button also sticks out. I really don't want a new belly button. I would like to have my upper muscles tightened endoscopically. I would also like some lipo. Does this seem realistic?

Can I Get a Mini Tummy Tuck with Muscle Tightening

+2

There is no actual accepted definition of a mini-TT. Most surgeons use the term to describe a TT that addresses only the lower abdomen. It does not necessarily mean a smaller incision--it seldom does. It does mean no incision around the navel, that is a plus.  But, only on occasional patient has an abdominal contour problem limited to the lower abdomen.

From your photos it seems clear that you need a full abdominoplasty. 

The laxity of the abdominal wall involves the entire abdominal wall, and the skin laxity is not limited to the lower abdomen. 

Thanks for your question, and for the photos. 

When you ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.

Thank you for your question, best wishes.

A Mini Tummy Tuck Creates Less Scar But Also Less Of A Result

+2

Your pictures demonstrate a classic dilemma that many women have. They want a full tummy tuck result but only want the scar burden of a mini tummy tuck. The reality is that one can not have both and you will have to choose which of those tummy tuck trade-offs you can live with the best. In essence if the scar pattern of a mini-tummy tuck is the only one that is acceptable, that trade-off will be that of incomplete correction...some remaining pooch and residual loose skin. The scar restriction simply limits how much correction you are going to get. In the mini-tummy tuck approach you can get complete muscular repair all the way up to the xiphoid process (you don't need an endoscopic technique to do it) but the inability to remove all the extra skin prevents an optimal abdominal tightening result.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

No - you need a full TT

+2

Don't waste your time with a mini, you will not get a good result. You need the full job. The scar is only a bit longer and if your c-section scar healed well so should the TT scar.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Tummy Tuck....mini or standard

+2

Based on the pictures you have posted I, as others, would recommend a standard tummy tuck only.  A "mini" will not address the skin issue and will not give a full contouring of the abdomen.

Steven S. Carp, MD
Akron Plastic Surgeon

Mini or Full Tummy Tuck?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Based on your history and pictures, I think you may be an excellent candidate for tummy tuck surgery;  I would not offer you the "mini" tummy tuck procedure.

In my opinion, the mini tummy tuck is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.

Mini or Full Tummy Tuck?

+2

Certainly, you have more laxity below your belly button than above.  Thus you would get good improvement from a mini-tummy tuck.  You also have a high riding bellybutton, so it is possible to 'float' you belly button down a little to get some benefit to tightening your skin above the bellybutton.  The muscles can certainly be tightened along their entire length even with a mini-tummy tuck incision.  The belly button can be recontoured so that it does not stick out, and this can be done internally if you do not desire a full tummy tuck.  In short you would get a nice improvement with the above.   The scar will be ver low, but will be longer than your C-section scar.

Best Wishes!

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+1

You appear to have significant abdominal wall laxity and some hanging skin already. You will  have even more excess skin after the internal tightening. You probably need a tummy tuck. Hopefully you will make a beautiful scar that will fade with time and make this all worthwhile/

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Skin Laxity above the Belly Button and Mini Tummy Tuck?

+1

You appear to have laxity above the belly button as well.  As such a short scar tummy tuck would give a better result.

Abdominoplasty with Mesh Reinforcement

+1

You may be an excellent candidate for a new technique called Abdominoplasty with Mesh Reinforcement, if you are not planning additional pregnancies.  The most important component of the abdominal wall is the fascia, not the muscle.  The fascia has been stretched from your pregnancies, damaged from the c-sections and has not returned to it's pre-pregnant state.  Mesh reinforces the fascia and will give you a flat, hourglass figure that your desire.  This technique requires a full incision, which is low, will excise your previous c-section scar and be hidden by your underwear.  The mini tummy tuck would be ineffective.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Mini Tummy Tuck vs Full Tummy Tuck

+1

Many people wonder if a mini tummy tuck or a full tummy tuck is best for them.  The advantage to a mini tummy tuck is a shorter scar.  The disadvantage is that since the scar is shorter, there is less skin removed.  For patients that have excess skin not only in the center under the belly button but also out on the sides near the hips, they are better off having a full tummy tuck to get this area flat as well.  If however, your problem is all in the middle and you are flat out on the sides, then a mini tummy tuck is the perfect choice for you.  Good luck.

Sacha Obaid, MD