Lipo? Age 22, 170. (photo)

I'm 22 and I now weigh 173 pounds. I've always weighed 110 until I recently discovered I was not supposed to be eating foods with gluten. I was so confused as to why I gained a ton of weight so fast. With that being said, my small waist expanded and I got stretch marks and horrible belly fat. Should I get lip or lose about 50 Pounds first?

60 pound weight gain.

+2

Yes. Lose the weight before even thinking about surgery. 

Liposuction is not a weight loss modality. At your age,and without a long history of being overweight, chances are good that you still have good skin elasticity, and that therefore you will likely need nothing in the way of surgery. 

If your skin does not shrink down as you lose weight, Surgery to remove the excess skin may be a consideration. All the best. 

Lipo? Age 22, 170.

+1

My advice:  lose the weight as much as you can (ie, get as close to your weight before this happened) and then have your body assessed by a board-certified plastic surgeon.  Lipo may not be the best option at that point - you may need a skin reducing procedure such as a tummy tuck or panniculectomy - but, either way, I'd advise you to lose the weight as a first step.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Weight loss or surgery

+1

You should unquestionably lose the weight before considering surgery.  In a woman of your age, after correcting your dietary issues, you should try and return to your normal body weight and re-evaluate your situation.  If your skin remains redundant and you have a lot of stretch marks, you will do better with an abdominoplasty or tummy tuck than with liposuction.  The most important thing, of course, is your health- lose the weight, standardize your diet, and then address the excess tissue around your tummy.

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss is not a prerequisite for liposuction.

+1

In a perfect world all patients would be that their ideal body weight. Overweight individuals often times get a psychological lift from liposuction that can lead to behavior changes eventuated in weight loss. Therefore, weight loss does not necessarily have to precede liposuction.

Lipo or weight loss

+1

Liposuction is not a solution for weight loss. You are better off losing weight before considering any surgery.

Is Liposuction or weight loss better?

+1

Thanks so much for your question.  It is always best to be near your goal weight prior to undergoing any type of elective surgery.  At your age you will have good skin retraction so I would say loose weight first.

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Lipo? Age 22, 170.?

+1

Lipo is for treat localize fat, I think you are overweight, it is better to loose weight, but, if your abdomen affects to much, you can solve, mean time you must be under diet.

Spanish translation provided by doctor:

Lipo es para tratar la greasa localizada, yo pienso que usted tiene sobrepeso, es mejor perder peso, pero si su abdomen la afecta demasiado, puede hacer una lipo, y mientras tanto usted hace dieta.

Maria Cristina Picon, MD
Argentina Plastic Surgeon

Weight Loss Vs. Liposuction

+1

Generally, I advise that perspective liposuction patients maintain a stable weight prior to having surgery as this procedure is not intended to help with weight loss. It is inteded to help with contouring specific areas (i.e. flanks, thighs, abdomen, axillary areas). If you are wanting to loose weight, then I suggest you do so prior to having surgery, as this will improve your overall aesthetic outcome.

I hope this helps you and good luck,

Fadi Chahin MD, FACS

Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

Diplomat, American Board of Surgery

Diplomat, American Board of Plastic Surgery

Fadi Chahin, MD, FACS

Ideal weight before liposuction

+1

It is always best to get down to a normal weight before undergoing any surgery and particularly liposuction. You will get a better result. I tell my patients to get down to the best weight that they can. A good guideline is to get to a BMI of 25 or lower, which indicates a normal weight. BMI is based on your height and weight and you can find a BMI calculator online. Also, you may want to speak to a dietician or your general doctor to get help in losing weight.

John A. Perrotti, MD

Liposuction at Age 22 and 170 lbs

+1

Liposuction can be performed after you lose some of the weight.  You will need an exam at that time to determine the degree of skin laxity.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA