What is This Knot That Has Formed on my Scar? (photo)

Im 6 months post op from a full tummy tuck. A knot has formed in the front of my scar and keeps growing. It actually sticks out and looks bruised. It's not real tender to touch but it does hurt to do massage therapy on it. What is it and how do I make it go away?

+2

Retained suture with an cyst. It needs surgical removal soon. Best to see your surgeon ASAP. 

Retained suture abscess

+1

More than likely this is a suture cyst or abscess.  The retained suture must be removed for this to heal. 

Suture abscess...

+1

It looks as if you have a "suture abscess" that occurs when an absorbable suture is surrounded by inflammatory tissue and pushed toward the surface of the skin.  This is a minor problem that often resolves spontaneously when the suture is expelled and the skin heals over...otherwise, this situation can be corrected by your surgeon with a simple procedure under local anesthesia.

Eric Sadeh, MD

Suture abscess or spitting suture after tummy tuck

+1

This "red bump" is likely a spitting suture or small suture abscess that can and does occur from time to time after a tummy tuck.  Even if dissolvable sutures were used, the body is "rejecting" the suture (similar to a splinter or foreign body) and once it comes to the surface it usually opens on its own and then it heals without the need for anything. My recommendation is to follow up with your plastic surgeon and likely he or she will recommend making a small incision in the office and "unroofing" this and possibly removing the suture that is causing this. Once done, it will heal just fine. I hope this helps!

Sincerely,

James F. Boynton, M.D., F.A.C.S.

James F. Boynton, MD

Knot on Tummy Tuck Suture Line

+1

It looks like you have a deep suture from your tummy tuck that is trying to work it's way to the surface.  When sutures do this they will cause the skin to seemingly knot up.  I would call my surgeon to have it removed and/or that tiny area of the scar revised.  Good luck.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Lump in Tummy Tuck Scar

+1

This lump most likely represents a suture granuloma or a suture abscess.  This condition is easily treated in the surgeon's office.  Under a local anesthetic, the scar is opened and the suture material is removed.  The area should resolve after this treatment.  Philip E. Fleming, MD, FACS (FlemingPlasticSurgery.com)

Philip E. Fleming, MD

Knot On Scar after Tummy Tuck

+1

A knot on the scar may be a suture reaction or abscess.  This depends to some extent on how the area was closed and the suture material used.  A simple exam by your plastic surgeon will be able to sort this out.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Knot That Has Formed on my Scar?

+1

This looks like a "stitch abscess" or a small localized infection at the site of an undissolved suture.  Call your surgeon for an appointment to numb this up, incise it and remove the offending suture, and this will resolve promptly. All the best.