Inframmary Scar Raised and Feels Bumpy? (photo)

Hello DRS, thank you for reading my question. I had my BA submuscularly 3 weeks ago. My L breast scar is thin and smooth. My R breast scar is like that on half of the scar, but the other half is thicker and feels like it has two tiny bumps. I am applying BIO OIL 2x daily. Will this smooth out eventually? I know they will heal differently but I am worried. Is there anything I could of done to cause this to happen here? How long will the scar take to change and be it's final result? Thanks again

Breast Scar

+2

Since you just had surgery 3 weeks ago, you may be feeling the inside sutures.  Follow up with your Plastic Surgeon as he is the best to guide you to recovery. Best wishes!

Breast scar

+2

Since your surgery was just a little while ago, you may be feeling your inside sutures.  They should dissolve over the next few weeks, or possible work out. I would continue to watch the area. should you have any concern, please check with your surgeon.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Normal appearing incision three weeks after breast augmentation.

+1

Swelling and redness are components of inflammation that accompany normal wound healing. The wounds in the picture appears to be healing normally.

Breast augmentation scars

+1

I would not worry to much about your scars yet. Most scars take months to completely heal and often up to a year to start to completely fade. It sounds like you might have some of the deep dermal sutures that are supposed to be buried coming to the surface before they have dissolved. This might get worse before it gets better. Massage of scars is very helpful and would be my suggestion. If the scars don't look better after about 3-4 months, they can be easily revised with a quick office procedure. 

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

+1

Those are the "deep" or subcutaneous sutures that have NOT dissolved yet. See your surgeon so you can better understand healing of thee sutures. 

How to take care of breast scars

+1

How a person scar is related to several things.  The most important is how the person naturally scars that is something you inherit genetically.  Second is the amount of movement and tension in the scars.  Scar that are under more tension and movement such as in the inframammary area will often be more noticeable than in areas which move less such as the face, or nipple area.  If you can tape the scars then it will not stretch as much and the inflammation in the scar area will be less.  Topical treatments such as Mederma, scar creams really don't do that much.  I have found that Embrace which is a new product at pulls the scar edges together with a silicone sheet that is placed under reverse tension, i.e. pulls the skin edges together and keeps tension off of the scar.  This product really works.  You might ask your plastic surgeon about this. 

Benjamin Chu, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Scars after Surgery

+1

Three weeks after surgery, scars may still be red or raised. The scars improve with time.Particularly, they start to improve from 6-8 weeks after surgery as your body remodels the healing process. Silicone scar strips can help to improve and speed the process. Follow up with your surgeon to assure you are doing everything you can to improve it.

Michael Horn, MD

Raised, bumpy inframammary scarring only 3 weeks post-op will improve

+1

Your scar is just now entering the phase of wound healing and scar maturation during which it will produce the maximum amounts of collagen to repair the injury.  As such, scars at this stage often have some redness, thickness, and irregularity.  Over time this can be expected to improve, as the full time course to scar maturation is around a year, sometimes less, sometimes a little more.  In addition, if absorbable sutures were used on the deeper planes of the skin as most of us do, at 3 weeks they will still be there and causing a bit of inflammation and thickness as they are being absorbed.  This could take anywhere from another month to four or five months depending upon the size and type of suture material used.  There are many reasons why you may have some thickness in parts of only one or both scars and not in others; there could have been a little more suture material in that one particular area causing a foreign body reaction, one edge of the skin may have been just ever so slightly raised more than the other in that area after being sutured, or there is more stress and irritation on that particular area of the scar from gravity, clothing, or other similar outside influences.  There are several things that can be done to keep things under control and improve the scarring.  Bio-oil is OK, but there is nothing special about it necessarily that will promote scar thinning other than its moisture retention properties.  Silicone gel ointments like Mederma, or my personal favorite, Scar Recovery Gel by SkinMedica which also has some botanical extracts that have been proven to decrease inflammation and promote faster and less conspicuous scarring, are my first line approach.  If those aren't successful, we can try topical silicone gel sheeting and wear it for about 14 - 16 hours of the day.  Usually within about 3 months that improves things nicely.  There are also different medications that can be injected into those scars that remain thick and stubborn, and if you find the right doctor with the right lasers to do the job, laser treatments are hugely successful at minimizing scars too.  The main message here today is that it is very early, don't worry, just know that there are many options to deal with this, and you should start simply and move upward with the treatment options in order of aggressiveness as needed.  Be sure that you discuss this all with your surgeon and get his or her input as we all have our own experience with scar management, and generally we tend to repeat those things that give the best results in our own hands.  Thus, your surgeon will have his or her own approach to the issue, just as I have outlined mine.  Good luck.

Joseph L. Grzeskiewicz, MD

Scars after #BreastAugmentation

+1

All scars, including ones on the same body, heal differently. You might be noticing the sutures underneath the skin or you could be developing a hypertrophic scar. Normally, this takes longer to occur. There are interventions to help minimize this, but your would need to have your doctor determine what is best for you based on a diagnosis. 

Continue to follow up with your surgeon to ensure that you progress as planned.

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Raised scar after breast augmentation

+1

Hello there.  The "tiny bumps" are most likely from the deeper sutures under the skin.  I doubt that you have done anything to make the right scar look thicker or bumpier.  It has been only 3 weeks since your surgery.  With massaging with scar cream, your right scar should improve.  You should also follow up with your plastic surgeon regularly  so that she/he can check your implants and scars.  Best wishes.

Sugene Kim, MD, FACS