I'm 40 yrs old, 5'4" & 120lbs, very athletic; but have never been able to loose the fat above my knees & anterior thighs. Lipo?

1) what are the different types of lipo and which would be best for me? 2) what is the standard post op recovery time (I do all of my errands by foot and live in a home with multiple floors/stairs)? 3) How soon would I be able to return to the gym? 4) most importantly, I live in Europe.... How soon after the surgery would I be able to return home/have an international flight?. I have family throughout the US and used to live in Houston, so I am open to several US locations for the procedure.

SmartLipo and MicroCannulas for Knees and Thighs

+1
These are areas I commonly treat and do very well with a combination of laser and manual fat removal.  You want to go to someone who does this frequently and has an aesthetic eye for your body shape.  I will be partnering with Dr. David Amron in Beverly Hills (Spalding Drive Plastic Surgery) starting 8/18 and our integrative body contouring center would be perfect for you.  You want someone who has experience and passion for this procedure and these areas, so you get more than "typical" results.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Tumescent liposuction does great for the thighs and knees.

+1
Liposuctioning the thighs and knees is easy to undergo under tumescent lipo with the small micro cannulas under local anesthesia for roughly $5500 on special and you are up walking right away, back to the gym in 1 week and flying home to Europe in 3 days. Sincerely, David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction

+1
the best liposuction is not the cannula but the hand holding it so be sure to find a surgeon who is board certified and has lots of experience.  That said in the areas you have mentioned standard liposuction will frequently suffice.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon

Best liposuction for knees and thighs

+1
The best liposuction is one that does not use heat that can irritate nerves and burn skin.
So I avoid laser/ultrasonic liposuction except in unusual cases.

A small cannula, microaire (pulsatile) liposuction is the standard -
see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to have it done.

If just these areas, you should be able to fly back to Europe in 3-5 days.
You should wear knee high, compression support hose, a 25 - 35 mm HG (pressure) range.

Gym workouts depend on what you do - high impact like running and jump rope - will be uncomfortable for 4 - 6 weeks. Weights are fine early on. 

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

No advantage of laser or ultrasonically assisted liposuction over conventional.

+1
To answer your question generally there's no benefit to laser or ultrasonic liposuction. Most patients are up in about the next day. You certainly will be sore but there would be no significant restrictions activity. You probably would be asked to wear compressive hose. Travel would be permissible one a day or so.