Do I Have Hematoma 6 Weeks After Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I am 6 weeks post tummy tuck surgery. Everything has been healing quite well until now. I have redness, tenderness, and a lump around the right side of my incision. It is sore and I am suspecting that soething isnt right. Does this look or sound like hematoma?

New hematoma at @ 6 weeks uncommon

+1

Thank you for the question and photo.  A new hematoma at 6 weeks is fairly rare.  It may be more common to have something else like a seroma, etc.  I would keep a close eye on it and take photos daily.  At the next opportunity you should see your plastic surgeon.

Dr Remus Repta 

Healing after tummy tuck

+1

Thanks for your inquiry, it is hard tell from the picture, but I do not see evidence of a large hematoma, you might have a small hematoma vs small seroma vs some fat necrosis or a suture spitting.  Please see you plastic surgeon for an evaluation.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Do I Have Hematoma 6 Weeks After Tummy Tuck?

+1

Posted photo though not very helpful does cause me to feel you have an infected seroma/hematoma. seek immediate medical care. 

+1

Sounds more like a stitch trying to extrude.  In agreement with other responders, it is recommended that you communicate ongoing events to your plastic surgeon as they unfold, in order that he/she may address these problems appropriately and expeditiously.

Steve Laverson, MD

Pain and redness 6 weeks after tummy tuck

+1
Two thoughts: unilateral redness and pain postop warrants followup by your plastic surgeon to rule out infection or seroma. Secondly, at six weeks, you are in the inflammatory phase of healing and the scar may look worse now than it did a few weeks ago. However, please don't take that as a reason not to call your doctor!

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Redness and Pain 6 weeks after Tummy Tuck

+1

If you have redness and pain on one side of your abdomen, and not the other, especially 6 weeks after surgery, then this needs to be evaluated for a possible infection. Your Plastic Surgeon is the person you should see if you have concerns with your body.

Thank you for your photo and question. Best of luck!

Gregory C. Park, M.D.

Gregory Park, MD

Hello

+1

Your picture does not show whether you have a hematoma/seroma or not. You need to see your PS to have him/her examine you. You need to see if you have a wave of fluid in your abdomen that would be a seroma.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Hematoma 6 Weeks After Tummy Tuck?

+1

It can be difficult to tell this from a single photo.

The redness I see is more suggestive of a reaction to the buried suture material in the incision. A call to your surgeon is the best way to determine what this is and what needs to be done. 

Thanks for your question, best wishes.