Would I be a candidate for a Panniculectomy?

Hello, I had Lap Band in 2011 and i was 400lbs and now I am 280lbs so a total loss of 120lbs and still working on loosing more weight and i really want to consider having a panniculectomy because i have alot and i mean alot of hanging skin its like really bad. I also notice my mons pubis is also hanging more and is really big more than it was before i can t wear certain clothing cause of my mons pubis and hanging stomach would this be an option for me considering im still overweight?

Panniculectomy

+1
Unfortunately, you have not provided any photographs but if you have lost 120 lbs, it is probable that your abdominal skin is hanging.A panniculectomy can be done at this time and if you lose additional weight a revision can be done later.The mons pubis can be thinned and elevated higher during this procedure.You may benefit from a circumferencial body lift and I recommend 2 stages.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Panniculectomy after weight loss

+1
The approach to body-contouring after significant weight loss must be individualized so a specific recommendation can only be given after a comprehensive consultation and face-to-face exam. There certainly is a place for a "de-bulking" panniculectomy as a preliminary first-stage procedure if the apron of loose skin is hindering further weight loss because of dermatitis, ulcers, skin irritation, or impediment during exercise. It can also be used as a "kick-start" to motivate patients towards a change in lifestyle for weight loss. Once your target end-point is achieved, a second-stage formal tummy tuck or body lift can be considered. Consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon.

Robin T.W. Yuan, M.D.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Timing Of Abdominal Panniculectomy/Body Lift

+1
After a 120lb weight loss, you undoubtably would get benefit from an abdominal panniculectomy. The only question is the timing of it. If you are planning to lose some more weight (greater than 20 to 25 lbs) then you should wait until you are there. But if this is just about where you are going to stay, then you can proceed with surgery anytime. With this much weight loss, and even more, you may benefit by a more circumferential body lift approach.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Panniculectomy after weight-loss

+1
Congratulations I weight-loss. I would schedule a consultation several board-certified plastic surgeons to see if this is a reasonable interim solution. The panniculectomy just takes care of the loose hanging skin. This is not a tummy tuck. Once you have this done you can continue to strive to your loss goal.

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Major weight loss

+1
Thanks for your question. Congratulations on your weight loss. I think that your desire to have something done is valid. You should meet with a plastic surgeon to discuss your goals. You might not yet be a candidate for complete circumferential treatment, but potentially the skin redundancy could be removed. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Am I a candidate for panniculectomy?

+1
Congratulations on your significant weight loss.  I would generally recommend waiting until you have achieved your goal weight, however if your panniculus is very large and difficult to manage, it may be reasonable to undergo a panniculectomy at this point.  The procedure would have to be done with the understanding that once you achieve your goal weight the procedure may need to be repeated.

I would recommend consulting with board-certified plastic surgeons experienced at performing panniculectomies.  After reviewing your history and performing a physical exam, they will be able to discuss the risks and benefits of the procedure, as well as the advantages and disadvantages of you proceeding at this point.

Craig S. Rock, MD

+1
Without having your pictures, height and weight, it will be difficult to give you an accurate assessment. However, generally speaking, best is to have your BMI less than 30 and to wait at least a year after your weight has plateaued for a better outcome from your surgery.

Maan Kattash, MD, FRCS