Tummy Tuck Still Swollen After 8 Weeks? (photo)

Its been 8 weeks since i had my tummy tuck and im not happy with how my stomach looks. i feel really swollen, i wear my compression garment on 24/7 but just don't know if the swelling will go down or are these my final results?

Swelling after tummy tuck

+2

It takes greater than 6 months for swelling to resolve with a tummy tuck.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Swelling after tummy tuck

+2

It generally takes at least six months for swelling to be gone after a tummy tuck. And even then, it is not unusual to have some swelling in the late afternoon or evening for another few months. Your pictures look like you are doing well and like you will have an excellent result. However, pictures are not a substitute for an in person evaluation, so be sure to discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Still Swollen After 8 Weeks?

+2

A before posted photo would be helpful. But based upon the only after photos you appear to have a very nice result. 

Tummy Tuck Recovery

+2

Without before pictures, it is difficult to comment on your recovery or the procedure.  However, you look like you have a nice result.  It does take 3 to 6 months for the swelling to completely resolve.  However, most of the swelling resolves in the first 6 weeks.  

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Hello

+2

You have great looking results. The swelling take 6-9 months for it to completely subside give your body some time to heal. Continue wearing your compression garment it helps.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Some swelling may still be present

+1

At 8 weeks after surgery most of the swelling has gone away but there is still likely a little still there.  I would give it more time.  If in the future you would like a little more refinement to your abdomen some additional liposuction can be performed.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Swelling after Tummy Tuck?

+1

As always, it is best to be seen in person ( by your plastic surgeon) for precise diagnosis and treatment. Based on your photographs, I do not see any major area of concern.

Generally speaking, abdominal wall "swelling" after tummy tuck may be related to:

1. Swelling in the soft tissues.  This may take several months to resolve and may worsen with increased activity  or at the end of the day.   Patience  is required to allow for resolution of the swelling. The swelling occurs because of the interruption of venous and lymphatic channels that occurs during the tummy tuck operation.

2. Fluid accumulation in the space between the skin and the abdominal wall muscle.  this may consist of blood ( hematoma)  or serum (seroma).  This fluid accumulation can generally be diagnosed by physical examination ( occasionally ultrasound  may be helpful).  Treatment consists of aspiration;  several episodes of aspiration may be necessary. 

3. Separation of the abdominal wall muscle repair may lead to a swelling/bulge appearance. This may be diagnosed on physical examination  with your surgeon examining you in different bodily positions. One of the steps of a tummy tuck procedure involves reapproximation (plication)  of the rectus muscles.  These muscles have spread apart during pregnancy and/or weight gain. Bringing them together again in the midline helps to “tighten” the abdominal wall as well as to narrow the waistline.

4. Residual adipose tissue may be confused for swelling. Again this is most easily diagnosed by physical examination. Additional liposuction surgery maybe necessary to improve the results of surgery.

Generally, it takes many months for swelling to resolve after tummy tuck surgery and it may take up to one year  (or greater)  a complete skin redraping  to occur.