Do You Need a Mammogram Before a Breast Augmentation?

I waived my mammogram before my breast augmentation. . I'm 37 did I do the right thing? I have no family history of breast cancers.

Mammogram before Breast Augmentation

+2

While you do not theoretically "need" a mammogram before a breast augmentation, it is a good idea to make sure that there is nothing there that may need to be biopsied. Over the years, I have found 2 breast cancers in people wanting breast augmentation. Since you had nothing found while the tissues were open and easy to palpate, you should have no regrets. You should probably have one in a year or two, however, just for safety sake. Make sure that when you do have the mammogram it is a diagnostic one rather than a screening one, as the latter may not see all the breast tissue with the implants in place. The former, however, are quite accurate.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Mammogram before breast augmentation

+2

Standard subpectoral placement of implants for breast augmentation should have no influence on your risk of breast cancer, detection, or need for special surveillance. In other words, you need a mammogram if you need a mammogram, not because you're having a breast augmentation or have implants already. As part of your preoperative evaluation, a physical exam of your breast tissue should be done and any abnormalities investigated before a cosmetic procedure. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Mammograms and Breast Augmentation

+2

Dear Collakusa,  It is very difficult given the recent rapidly changing recommendations for screening mammograms to know what is the best way to proceed however, we recommend to our patients to error on the side of being overly cautious.  It is better to discover if something needs further evaluation before you breast augmentation surgery rather than afterwards.  In our practice, we recommend a screening mammogram at some time between age 35-40 before they proceed with their augmentation and then every other year between age 40-50 and then every year after age 50.  Of course, any family history can change these recommendations.  Best to discuss this with your plastic surgeon who can offer their perspective on mammograms.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Mammogram not part of pre-op protocol

+2

It is not protocol before the age of 40 and without family history of breast cancer to have a mammogram. However, it's part of our pre-op routine to preform the mammogram.

Ricardo Vega, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Mammograms and breast augmentation

+2

At 37 and assuming that you don't have any family members with breast cancer, a mammogram is not necessary.  I generally recommend a mammogram before any cosmetic breast procedure for women 40 or older (or 35 and older if there is a history of breast cancer in the family).

Jason J. Hall, MD, FACS

Mammogram before breast augmentation

+2

I generally recommend a screening mammogram for women 40 years or older before breast augmentation.   For those between 35-40, I generally recommend a mammogram if there is a family history of breast cancer.    If you have no family history of breast cancer and perform monthly self-examinations (no palpable masses) and are under 40, there is nothing wrong with waiting.  However, if in doubt, a screening mammogram is not a bad idea.   Hope this is helpful.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Mammogram not a requirement before breast augmentation.

+2

Most plastic surgeons will not perform a breast augmentation is a mammogram is indicated. Your particular case is gray but most women should receive a screening mammogram before the age of 40. I think it would be a good idea for you to get one before the breast

Mammogram before breast augmentation

+2

Some surgeons will recommend a baseline mammogram before and then 6 months after surgery. Certainly as you are approaching 40, it would be a good idea to consider having one done.

Mammogram before breast augmentation

+2

Although it sounds like you are low risk for breast cancer, it is generally recommended that women your age get a mammogram.  This would be your baseline mammogram from which future mammograms can be compared.  If you are contemplating a breast augmentation procedure then getting a mammogram before surgery allows the radiologist to evaluate your breast tissue in its pristine, un-operated state.  Many plastic surgeons would recommend then getting a second mammogram six months after your procedure (allowing the tissue to settle) as your new baseline mammogram.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Mammograms and augmentation

+2

As long as there are not any previous breast issues, or family history of breast cancer, I think it is safe to wait till 40. 

Ronald Schuster, MD