Lose More Weight First? Can I Get a Good Result from TT and BA Only? To Look Really Good Do I Have to Get Lipo, Too?

I am a 36yo mom to 3 and wife. I bf my 3 kids 2 yrs each. After bf'ing my baby (3yo now) I was diag. Hypo & hashi a month later. Gained 20 lbs. in a month as a result putting me at 180lbs. W/healthy diet & exercise I'm now 138 lbs. On synthroid and controlled. I don't plan on having any more kids and I really want to have a body I can be proud of. I am currently trying to get down to 120 lbs. Before babies, i fluctuated between 125-135lbs. How much more should I lose? Thank you!

Lipo is commonly used to improve the overall appearance

+1

Thanks for your question. You have done a great job losing so much weight. I like patients to be stable and have a BMI close to 25 or less. Certainly however there are exceptions and this is just a generalization. Without seeing photos it is hard to comment on the necessity of lipo with the TT. In my hands only 5-10% of patients who want a TT can get by without the posterior hip liposuction. It allows the waistline to be better contoured and have the back and front be in better harmony. Find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area to help you with your decision. Best of Luck!

Ideal weight to have surgery

+1

Glad to hear that you are making progress. It s important to be able to calculate height and weight ratios to determine an ideal weight. More important you should focus more on improving your health and getting to a stable weight that is comfortable for you. Once there visit with a board certified Plastic Surgeon in Houston.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Weight loss and tummy tuck

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss and getting down to 138.   In terms of your "ideal" weight, I would need your height and some more information.  But "ideal" is just a calculated number.  It is possible you are getting close to where your body wants to be in terms of your weight.   A physical exam would determine if you are a good anatomic candidate for a tummy tuck.  It sounds like you are followed by your internist or family doc for your medical issues.   Based on what you've posted, I think you may be ready for your mommy transformation (tummy contouring procedure(s))!   Please visit with a board certified PS in your area to learn more about your procedure(s).  Wishing you a speedy recovery to a great result!
Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Lose more wt?

+1

Hi Tx mommy. Thank you for the question. I am not sure of your height, but for your age and where you were in the past, your weight now seems good. Photo's would help.

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover Candidate?

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss ; you should be proud of this accomplishment. You are correct in that achieving a long-term stable weight, whatever that is for you, will be in your best interests prior to proceeding with breast or abdominal wall surgery.

When you have done so, seek consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients in your situation. Ask to see lots of examples of their work. Then, careful communication of your goals will be key.

After careful history, physical examination, and a full  communication of your goals, the best operative plan for your specific situation will be determined. Online consultants cannot be of much specific help to you without the above information, or at least viewing pictures.

The type of surgery you are contemplating is associated with a significant physical and emotional “recovery”. You may find the  following advice, I provide my patients prior to undergoing these types of operations, helpful to you:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.