I'm Interested in a Rhinoplasty. Should I Look for a Doctor That Specializes in the Face; Eyes, Nose Etc?

I'm 19 years old and live in Houston, TX. I've been interested in getting a rhinoplasty for a couple years and have recently decided to start looking into the surgeons in my area. I'm very, very nervous about choosing a doctor! Since I want a rhinoplasty, should I focus on looking for doctors that specialize in surgeries from the neck up, rather than someone who does several kinds of procedures (liposuction, breast augmentation etc)? You know what they say, "jack of all trades, master of none."

Facial plastics vs. Plastics for Rhinoplasty

+2

I think the jist of what you are asking is whether a facial plastic surgeon or a general plastic surgeon is better for your rhinoplasty.  I think the more important questions are as follows.

1.  Is your doctor board certified

2.  Does your doctor specialize in rhinoplasty

3.  How many revision rhinoplasties does your doctor do

4.  How well do you mesh with your surgeon

5.  pre and post op pics available.

Hope this helps.

Raghu Athre, MD FACS

Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial plastic surgeon or general plastic surgeon?

+1

The answers you get will depend on whom you ask. Ask an ENT surgeon and they will tell you to go to an ENT surgeon.  There are surgeons in both specialties that do good work and those who do not.  I suggest you go on a few consults with surgeons in your area known for their rhinoplasty work. Look carefully at their photos and and see which surgeon you are most comfortable with.  Experience in rhinoplasty is extremely important in your decision.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Finding the right rhinoplasty surgeon

+1

As a general rule, facial plastic surgeons tend to perform more rhinoplasties during their training than general plastic surgeons. However, in private practice, it is more important to make sure that your surgeon performs rhinoplasties as the majority or at least close to the majority of their procedures. It takes many years to become very skilled in this procedure and a good rhinoplasty surgeon is also comfortable with revision procedures as well. Good luck.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Experts?

+1

A good general rule for choosing a rhinoplasty surgeon is that you should look for a surgeon who does the operation frequently, with good results. Surgeons who do only a few per year will not have the same expertise as another surgeon who does a  hundred. In general, facial plastic surgeons tend to focus on the face and rhinoplasty in particular. Some general plastic surgeons also focus on rhinoplasty, but this is not as common. Check out each surgeon's reputation in the community, then go and ask a lot of questions about their training and experience.

Ira D. Papel, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

This is a frequently asked question, especially when several different types of plastic and cosmetic surgery boards may claim superiority over another...which is blatantly false and misleading IMHO.

I have performed Rhinoplasty for over 25 years and the most important factor, IMO, when selecting a Rhinoplasty Surgeon is choosing one that understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial (and nasal) beauty for the creation of a naturally more attractive nose and face.  Experience performing Rhinoplasty is simply not enough.  Hope this helps.

Choosing A Qualified Rhinoplasty Surgeon

+1

In my opinion, you are better off focusing your efforts on facial plastic surgeons. But you need to be sure that you find someone who is well versed in performing rhinoplasty on a regular basis. Take a look at their photo gallery as well. If they are, indeed, a rhinoplasty expert, you should be able to see a robust gallery highlighting their prior rhinoplasty work. Your "Jack of all trades, master of none" quote is very fitting in this situation. 

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Choosing a surgeon for rhinoplasty

+1

While training and board certification are important considerations in choosing your rhinoplasty surgeon, the most important factor is experience and success in perfoming this nuanced procedure.  I recommend you consult with more than one surgeon in your area and choose one who is both properly qualified (Facial Plastic Surgery or Plastic Surgery) and someone you are confident in.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

How to find a surgeon for rhinoplasty surgery

+1

The key to a successful outcome in rhinoplasty surgery is finding a surgeon that you like and is experienced in nasal surgery.   Ask trusted individuals or your family physician for a referral to a local surgeon.  

I'm Interested in a Rhinoplasty. Should I Look for a Doctor That Specializes in the Face; Eyes, Nose Etc

+1

A very good qualified plastic surgeon cans solve your problem, some time it is necessary to operate the inside of the nose. 

Maria Cristina Picon, MD
Argentina Plastic Surgeon

Choosing a Rhinoplasty Surgeon

+1

Board Certification is a must, however; the certification does not give you the experience nor the artistic skill. It takes years of rhinoplasty experience to learn this procedure. Choose someone that performs lots of rhinoplasties, and someone that has a sense of aesthetics that you like.

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon