Will a Hot Compress on my Eyes Cause Restalyne in my Tear Troughs to Dissapate Faster?

I have dry eyes and my eye doctor says I should apply a warm compress to my eyes twice a day. I have had 2 vials of restalyne injected in my tear troughs and the improvement seems to only last 6 to 8 weeks. Thank you

Hot compresses and faster disappearance of Restylane.

+1

Is the Dr who is prescribingrm compresses the same one who injected Restylane in your tear troughs? Or were the injections done in a Spa?

Did you have the 2 vials of Restylane injected at the same time?

Was it really Restylane, undiluted and immediately taken out of the package?

These are important questions.

On the other hand, for a patient 80 or 90 year old the duration of Restylane can be much shorter. But still, injecting 2 vials in the tear troughs, at any age, sounds strange.

Chicago Dermatologist

Restylane in tear troughs lasts up to 2 years

+1

Restylane in tear troughs lasts up to 2 years. Best results are achieved with small injections repeated weekly over several weeks.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Two vials of filler for tear troughs seems like too much.

+1

Jasperkitty,
I worry about several aspects of your question. If you truly have medically induced dry eye syndrome, I would be careful about doing elective cosmetic treatments like fillers around the eye area until your dry eye problem is under better control. I also am concerned that you were told you had two entire vials (usually around 1.0cc each) of filler used under your eyes alone. That seems like too much volume to me. If you really did have that much injected, I don't think it could disappear that quickly. So if you had something else injected that isn't staying in place, then maybe it wasn't a hyaluronic acid filler at all. I recommend seeing a different, board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon to help you evaluate what is going on here.

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

Can I use Warm Compresses After Restylane?

+1

Hi Jasper.  The warm compresses will not affect your Restylane results.

We're wondering if what your seeing immediately after your injections is just swelling because the results we observe for our tear trough injections last 6-9 months because of the lack of movement in this area (and because you have had lots of product injected).  The results should last much longer than 6-8 weeks and you may consider asking your injector why they are not lasting or look for someone new.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Restylane is not affected by warm compresses

+1
Restylane and Juvederm do not dissolve faster with warm compresses. Restylane absorbs your own water molecules and fills the wrinkles by providing this volume eefect.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Restylane injections

+1
The short answer is no. Application of warm compress can help you with any of the post-injection symptoms that you mention, but there will not be any impact on the longevity of Restylane. Your filler should be lasting longer unless the areas of your concern are mildly different from your physicians. It would be worth the time to review this point with her.

Be healthy and be well,
James M. Ridgway, MD, FACS

James M. Ridgway, MD, FACS

Longevity of Restylane

+1

Dear jasperkitty, you can continue using your warm compresses without worrying about affecting your Restylane injections.     As with any filler, the immediate swelling often lasts for several days.  

The longevity of effect of the hyaluronic acid fillers like Restylane can differ between facial sites (lips, tear throughs, nasolabial folds), but should last longer than the result your are describing.

Travis T. Tollefson, MD, MPH
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Does Hot Compress Affect Restylane in Lower Eye Lid Hollow?

+1

Hi Jas,

Two vials of Restylane injected in the lower eyelids is a large amount of filler for the area, and should definitely last longer than 6 to 8 weeks.  I question what you are being injected with, whether you are truly receiving the amount you are being told, and/or the technique or the injector.  Warm compresses should not effect Restylane.  Do not use Juvederm in the lower eye lid hollows.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P 

Michael A. Persky, MD

Warm Compress will not affect fillers

+1

Warm compresses will not impact the longevity of restylane.  In addition, there is very little risk of migration of the product, since at one week, the hyaluronic acid filler is well incorporated into the surrounding tissue in the dermis.

The short duration of your restylane is surprising, especially since you had "two vials injected".   In most of my patients, a little filler in this area goes a long way-- most patients need less than 0.5 cc (half a syringe) to get good results.  When injected properly to the tear trough area, restylane usually last closer to 9-12 months. Unlike the smile lines, the tear trough area is subjected to less motion, and filler in this area lasts longer.  You should definitely see your doctor again to see why it only lasted for 6-8 weeks.  

Dr. Margaret Mann

Margaret Mann, MD
Cleveland Dermatologic Surgeon

Will warm compresses cause restylane to the tear troughs to dissipate faster

+1

The answer is no.  Warm compresses will have no effect on the metabolism of Restylane.  That said, if you want something that lasts longer, Juvederm seems to have more longevity than Restylane.  Nontheless, the Restylane should last longer than 6-8 weeks.

Gary D. Breslow, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon