Is Hospitalization Required After Full Leg Lift (Inner, Upper & Outer)?

Had gastric bypass 8 years ago...had consult before ...but can not find a surgeon. Want to know where one is near my home & if hospitalization is required. I really need a full body lift. but only willing to do full leg lift at this time.

+3

Not necessarily. Even with a full, medial, extended thighplasty you may be able to go home after surgery. Your surgeon will make the ultimately decision based on the amount of surgery, how you handle anesthesia, etc.

Make sure you go to a plastic surgeon who is board certified and has done alot of surgery on massive weight loss patients.

Good luck.

Hospitalization After Leg Lift

+3

I usually semd my patients home after leg lifts, but it depends on the extent of the surgery.  The larger amounts of skin  removal sometimes DO require an overnight stay to be sure pain control is good and also to prevent the patient from getting up and about too early.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Thigh lift

+2

I do not combine outer thigh lifts with inner thigh lifts during the same session. Usually I perform a lower body lift first then do the medial thigh lift at a later time.

Thigh Lift and hospitalization

+2

The answer to your question depends on the type(s) of procedure(s) you may need, your overal health status, and the level of help/support you have at home.  Please visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Going home to rest and recooperate after leg lift surgery.

+2

We usually send patients home after leg lifts unless they have someone to care after them.  We also have lots of out of town patients who go to an aftercare facility near our office. 

Full thigh lift, is hospitalization required?

+2

I think that the answer to your question depends on many patient factors. Most healthy individuals can undergo the procedure in an outpatient basis. If a large amount of tissue is to be removed, an overnight stay might be necessary. A full thigh lift can be performed at the same time as a body lift resulting in one recovery period and a decreased total procedure cost.

Frank Agullo, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Inpatient Hospitalization Following Thigh Lift Surgery

+1

It’s not unusual for massive weight loss patients to require a variety of surgical procedures to manage excess saggy skin.  Complex thigh lift surgery represents one of the larger procedures in this category.  The vast majority of these procedures are performed on an outpatient basis, but are occasionally performed on an inpatient basis when specific criteria are met.

Inpatient hospitalization may be necessary for a variety of reasons.  When thigh lift surgery is unusually complicated or performed in combination with other large procedures, hospital admission may be necessary.  In other situations patients may have inadequate support at home or may have significant health issues which require a hospital stay. 

It’s most important that you discuss this issue with your plastic surgeon.  Your surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that’s appropriate for your situation.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Full leg lift can be an outpatient procedure...

+1

Dear Michelle:

Full leg lift with an incision from the groin to the inner knee typically can be performed safely as outpatient surgery.  I perform this under general anesthesia and the procedure usually takes between 3 to 4 hours.  The patients are sent home safely the day of surgery and I see the patient the next day.

Congratulations on your weight loss surgery.  Good luck on completing your weight loss journey.

Thank you,

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS

How to find a local plastic surgeon

+1

Check out the American Society of Plastic Surgeons website to locate a doctor near you that will be able to perform you surgery in a hospital.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

Thigh Lift Recovery

+1

There are several factors when deciding pre-operative care including the exact nature of the procedures needed to achieve maximum results. I would suggest that you consult with a well trained board certified surgeon in your area. best of luck!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon