Do you need a hospital bed after a Tummy Tuck?

I am preparing for a full Tummy Tuck with muscle repair and liposuction to the outer thighs. I have read that many patients rent a hospital bed. What is your opinion on the hospital bed?

Bed after tummy tuck

+2

a hospital bed is not necessary following abdominoplasty. Sleeping with the waist flexed and pillows under the knees for the first weeks or so would be fine

Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Hospital bed not needed after a tummy tuck

+2
You absolutely do not need a hospital bed.  Pillows will do the trick. Some patients are comfortable with a reclining chair but you can achieve the same concept with a bit of ingenuity.  Don't waste your money!

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Hospital bed after tummy tuck

+2
Definitely not. However you will be most comfortable with your hips flexed after surgery. This is a sitting position. A recliner is great for a couple of days after surgery, and then a bed with pillows under knees and back. You will do fine

Eric Weiss MD

Eric Weiss, MD, FACS
Orange Park Plastic Surgeon

Postop Tummy Tuck

+2
I don't recommend a hospital bed after a tummy tuck due to the additional costs.  Instead, most of my patients sleep in a recliner or I have them place pillows behind their back and under their knees so they are bent at the hips at all times. 

Eugene Kim, MD

No need for a hospital bed after Tummy Tuck surgery

+2
I would not advise you spending money on a hospital bed. I recommend that patients sleep in a reclining chair so that it relieves some stress on the stomach muscles. You should also be getting up and around several times a day even immediately after surgery to prevent the possibility of a blood clot forming. If you don't have a recliner, propping up several pillows behind your back and head and one under your knees so that they are slightly bent should work just fine until you are comfortable enough to sleep flat or on your side.

Mark E. Mason, MD

Hospital bed after tummy tuck

+2

You definitely don't need a hospital bed after a tummy tuck. .Many of my patients sleep in a recliner right after surgery.  If they want to sleep in their beds, I recommend they prop their heads up on pillows and also have pillows under their knees.  As long as your abdomen is flexed, you should be comfortable.  I hope it goes well for you!

Victor Ferrari, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

No, you do not need a hospital bed

+2
Hi Better at 40.  No, you do not need a hospital bed while recovering from a tummy tuck.  I suggest you spend the money on new clothes instead!

Lewis Ladocsi, MD, FACS
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Recovery

+1

If you have a hospital bed, this would make your recovery much better and more comfortable. If you don't have a chance to get this, then my suggestion is to use plenty of comfortable pillows that can assist your sleeping as well as your positions in different ways during the recovery process.

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

+1

You do not need a hospital bed after tummy tuck.

A physical exam would be necessary to make a determination about the appropriate intervention.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of tummy tuck procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.