Should I Rent a Hospital Bed for My Mini Tummy Tuck Recovery?

Should I rent a hospital bed for my mini tummy tuck recovery? I read somewhere that I should... wanted to get opinions. Thanks!

Mini tummy tuck

+2

I usually send my full tummy tucks home the same day as surgery, so you can probably go home after a mini tummy tuck.

Tummy Tuck and Hospital Bed?

+2

Renting a hospital bed for your recovery may be “overkill”. The use of a recliner or a generous number of pillows usually does the job very well.

Mini tummy tuck activity and resting positions

+1

Whether you have a mini or a full tummy tuck, you will want to keep your hips in a flexed (bent) position for the first week or so.  As you skin relaxes, you can gradually stand up straighter.  This means when you walk you want to be hunched over (like you were going skiing or walking with a cane).  When resting, sitting is fine or being in a recliner.  When sleeping, I would use pillows to support the head and back, as well as have pillows under the knees.  If you can sleep in a recliner, this helps as well.  This will prevent putting too much tension on your incision.  A hospital bed is probably overkill and can add significant expense to the whole process.  Good luck with your procedure.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

No hospital bed needed!

+1

While I firmly believe every patient should choose how and where they recover from their surgery, I think recovery from a mini tummy tuck can easily be accomplished by resting on a couch with some additional pillows under your legs and back or on an easy chair which flexes slightly at the hips.  Mini tummy tuck incisions tend to be shorter and the extent of the surgery is less than a full tummy tuck, so the discomfort is less.  The discomfort is usually easily controlled by oral medications and local measures such as iced compresses.  Most patients are able to manage getting up and down without requiring a hospital bed.  This is an additional cost you probably don't need.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD