I Hate My Nose 1 Week Post-Op, How Can I Get It Back To Normal?

Hi I am an asaian patient who just went thru a rhino and septoplasty about 9 days ago. The casts came off at day 7, and I was horrified on how my nose looked. Its huge and no shape besides a bridge.. Looks deformed. My ps told me it's 7 days out and I am swollen so it will take time. He taped my nose and thank God, it much more bearable with the nose tape at least the shape is there! Even with the tape, my nose still looked huge and the swollen. How can I go back to my old nose? Pleasehelp

+3

Sometimes it is difficult to rectify your expectations with what you see in the mirror. You need to try to remind yourself that it has only been a week and you have another year of healing ahead of you. Even by next week, there will be less swelling. In the meantime, head elevation and a heating pad may help the situation.  

Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post-op swelling can last many months.

+2

Your feelings about the appearance of your nose when the cast came off is quite common after rhinoplasty. The important thing is how your nose will eventually look, not 9 days after the surgery. It's way too early to assess the result.

Eric I. Choe, MD, FACS

Waiting after surgery

+2

If the nose is obviously crooked or asymmetric, there is a 10d window to make adjustments. After that, it's best to wait 6 months. Psychologically it takes 3mo or more to get used to a new look.

If you have a nice result but are getting bad reactions from family and friends, sometimes it's jealousy.

Charles S. Lee, MD, FACS

Post Rhinoplasty Swelling

+2

This is expected following rhinoplasty surgery.  As the swelling subsides, you will see more of the underlying nasal shape.  Please have patience as you will gradually start seeing some definition.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Wait

+2

It should improve -- wait, dont do anything drastic. It is too soon to see your result. You need at least a month or two to see how it will look. And then it takes a full year for the swelling to go away completely.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Sometimes it takes time to get used to your new nose

+2

It is not uncommon for patients to look in the mirror right after the nasal cast comes off and to be unhappy with the way your nose looks. The first reason is that there may be significant swelling. Most of the swelling goes down over the first few weeks, but it could take up to a year to see the final result. Second, areas like the  tip of the nose may be too high (only for a short time) from the tape and stitches holding it up higher than it will be when it heals.

Another reason is that no matter how well prepared you are, you are seeing a different face in the mirror. The goal of a qualified rhinoplasty surgeon is to get a natural result. But it still may be a big change. And much more often than not, initial disappointment on the part of the patient changes to liking their new nose as they get used to it and the swelling subsides.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

+2

You are going through emotional trauma from your Rhinoplasty and should not, IMHO, make any decisions about further Rhinoplasty until you give yourself 4-6 months to heal.  Only then will you be able to see the final result.  You can have this discussion with your Rhinoplasty surgeon who can explain what was doen during the Rhinoplasty.

Postoperative Remorse

+2

The swelling early on after surgery is absolutely normal along with the fear, apprehension and remorse that many patients experience.  Once some of the swelling and bruising resolves you will begin to see the improvements that were made.  You will also start getting positive feedback about how good you look and the regret that you feel now should pass.  Be patient.  You did all your homework researching your doctor before your surgery, now it's time to trust your surgeon.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Horrified one week after rhinoplasty

+2

If you planned rhinoplasty carefully, reviewed computer simulations of an anticipated result, and the procedure was something wanted for a long time, it is best to wait things out and judge results over time. Troubles occur when a decision is made in haste or the procedure and goal are not clearly understood. If the whole thing was a terrible mistake, take your 'before' photos for a second opinion to see how to set things back.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Post op regret

+2

Many patients go through a phase of post op regret early on. Be patient . It's going to change. Think about the reasons you had to seek this change out.  You will get the rewards.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon