Hormone Imbalance and Hair Loss Are They Related? (photo)

Is it true stress over a prolonged period of time can cause hair loss, and "flight-or-flight" syndrome? I work night shift as a security guard and to stay awake I take 5-hr energy drink and sometimes caffiene pills. The 5-hr energy drink also has B-12, 8,000% of a daily dose. Could a high dose of B-12 cause excess hair loss and change my hormonal balance? I don't sleep well, either. I am obese and have poor-eating habits. I get sick a lot as well from my unhealthy lifestyle. I am 36

Hair Loss & Hormones

+1
There are many reasons you may have some of the problems you discussed, imbalanced hormone could likely be one of them.

Please go see a bioidentical hormone replacement specialist to be properly evaluated.

It also sounds like you live a stressful life and should seek out some ways of decreasing your stress levels. Yoga, meditation, biofeedback, exercise and acupuncture are great ways of keeping your stress in check.

Dr. Goldstein

Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Hair Loss Causes

+1

Yes, hormone imbalance and stress are recognized as causes of hair loss. However, the cause of 95% of hair loss in men is male pattern baldness. Obesity, insufficient sleep, and poor diet can worsen an existing MPB diagnosis. Whether or not male pattern baldness is a contributor to your condition, all the other factors are enough to cause significant hair loss on their own. It sounds like you’re aware of the detriment of your lifestyle. The place to start is to get adequate sleep during the day and cut back on the caffeine, prepare yourself healthy meals to eat during your night shift, and get on a realistic weight loss plan. Also, consult your doctor to have testing done for other underlying illnesses. Not much can be done about your hair loss until you take care of the root of the problem, by taking care of yourself.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Causes of hair loss.

+1

Hair loss can be so often related to stress and hormonal or nutitional inbalances.  The challenge for you may to attempt to get yourself in the best shape medically and physically that you can.  A thorough physical exam and assessment by your physician would be a good start,  Work to resist stress in your life if you can..

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD

Hair loss, hormonal imbalance, and 3rd shift work.

+1

First things first: you need to get out of that rut and get into a healthy lifestyle.  Third shift work is a contributor to obesity and a whole host of other medical issues.  You are not helping things with your diet and sleep schedule.  Go first to your primary care doctor.  Get into an exercise program and a sensible eating program. Medically, your doctor will also be looking other contributors to hair loss: thyroid dysfunction, anemia, etc.  Once you get yourself into better self-care, make an appointment with a hair restoration surgeon.  The only way you can get to the bottom of all this is to have an in-person consultation with  a hair transplant surgeon.  At that visit, you can learn about your medical and surgical hair restoration options.  From your picture, it appears that you have male pattern hair loss, but that diagnosis cannot be made from a picture over the internet.   Best of luck to you.  

Allan J. Parungao, MD
Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon